Metformin side effect after 2 months

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,

Has anybody experienced that, taking metformin was ok for two months but after that, the side effect /diarrhea / kicked in?

About 3 years ago I was told I probably have PCOS, and I must take 2 weeks 750mg then 1500mg metformin. After I started to take 1500 I couldn't tolerate it, even when I switched back to 750, so I stopped taking it.
Then covid came and I couldn't access the endocrinologist. And I admit I didn't really care.

This year I decided to take care of my health, so I turned to the private sector, made a blood test and found a new endocrinologist. Turned out now I have type 2. She suggested metformin, but I said I cannot tolerate it, it gives me terrible diarrhea. She said we must try it again but this time I should start with 500mg.

I tried and it worked, no side effects, till now. After two months I'm experiencing exactly the same as last time. When I take it the next day after half an hour I ate, I have to run.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had symptoms when I took it in the morning but none when I took it in the evening. Weird and no idea why.

Reactions: Starlark

JudeRe

Hello everyone,

Has anybody experienced that, taking metformin was ok for two months but after that, the side effect /diarrhea / kicked in?

About 3 years ago I was told I probably have PCOS, and I must take 2 weeks 750mg then 1500mg metformin. After I started to take 1500 I couldn't tolerate it, even when I switched back to 750, so I stopped taking it.
Then covid came and I couldn't access the endocrinologist. And I admit I didn't really care.

This year I decided to take care of my health, so I turned to the private sector, made a blood test and found a new endocrinologist. Turned out now I have type 2. She suggested metformin, but I said I cannot tolerate it, it gives me terrible diarrhea. She said we must try it again but this time I should start with 500mg.

I tried and it worked, no side effects, till now. After two months I'm experiencing exactly the same as last time. When I take it the next day after half an hour I ate, I have to run.

JudeRe

It effects me the same way too. I realise the importance of taking medication but it’s impacting on my life. I also have Crohn’s disease and on mentioning to nurse at my yearly check, he said there are other drugs that could be prescribed and he will write to my doctor so I await a response.

when eating a meal I, on average, have to get up to the bathroom about 3 times. At home it doesn’t matter so much but eating out or at someone’s home is embarrassing. Also the worry I won’t make it in time.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

Hi there don’t know if you are in the UK but don’t understand why the endo insists you must take Metformin. I have been T2 for more than 4 years and have never taken it. I was offered it on diagnosis but said I was going to try and get my numbers down through Low Carb diet which was very successful. I discuss with my medics and if I don’t want to take something for good reason I don’t. Same with statins. Good luck.
Have you considered a low carb diet eliminating not just sugar but starches also.

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It effects me the same way too. I realise the importance of taking medication but it’s impacting on my life. I also have Crohn’s disease and on mentioning to nurse at my yearly check, he said there are other drugs that could be prescribed and he will write to my doctor so I await a response.

when eating a meal I, on average, have to get up to the bathroom about 3 times. At home it doesn’t matter so much but eating out or at someone’s home is embarrassing. Also the worry I won’t make it in time.

Same.
And in the summer I have to drive a lot all day every day, I just cannot do that with these symptoms.

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there don’t know if you are in the UK but don’t understand why the endo insists you must take Metformin. I have been T2 for more than 4 years and have never taken it. I was offered it on diagnosis but said I was going to try and get my numbers down through Low Carb diet which was very successful. I discuss with my medics and if I don’t want to take something for good reason I don’t. Same with statins. Good luck.
Have you considered a low carb diet eliminating not just sugar but starches also.

She said if I need more medication she could give them if I take metformin. My paper says she wants to give GLP 1 analog if my Hba1c won't be under 7% by end of April.

I'm doing a low-carb diet, and I think I'm doing well. My bc meter says my 7 and 14-day average is 5,1, 30day is 5,3 60days is 5,4 and 90days is 6,0. I hope I can leave metformin.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had symptoms when I took it in the morning but none when I took it in the evening. Weird and no idea why.
Thank you, it seems working :)
It was my fault, I started skipping dinner and took the pill without food. I think that caused the problem. Now I take it with my lunch, no symptoms yet.

Reactions: mariavontrapp

Starlark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had bad side effects from Sukarto Brand, then switched to the more expensive Glucophage Brand and I've had no problems since
Thank you, for your advice :)
If the symptoms reappear I will look into other options.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately low-carb diet does not work for everyone. I was able to control my type 2 for 6 years by low-carbing and fasting, but this is no longer working for me and I have started on Metformin. We all experience diabetes in different ways