sorting out a hypo

weeezer

altho been t1 for 12 years, i still don't feel like i know the BEST way to correct a hypo. especially when said hypo occurs just before a meal...

today for example, i was hypo whilst preparing lunch, so was hypo-hungry too (you know, when hypo makes you feel like you could eat the world!) - so, should i have sorted the hypo out first with juice/jellybeans/blah blah, THEN had usual insulin with lunch? i tend to just eat lunch and inject half the amount i'd usually have afterwards.

is this not such a good idea? or does anyone else do that too?

also, i do love a hypo solution to be something i shouldn't usually have, like a mars bar/few biscuits/minty club...mmm getting carried away now! i know these don't bring BS up as fast as juice, but if i'm not in a rush, any reason why i shouldn't? also with juice or jellybeans you need extra carb after, i find that something chocoatey/biscuity does that job also?

just interested to see opinions and hear how others deal with pesky hypo's.

sugar2

Can only tell you what works for me.

If I am pre meal...and I am going to eat within about 15 minutes, adn I am not running around (OR DRIVING) I tend to just eat my dinner. I tend to know wherther it is a "slow" onset hypo or one that is going to disable me within 10 minutes.

As to what to have.....ermm. same policy. If I need to treat the hypo, immediately then I go with dextrose tabs. If I can tell that itis a slow hypo, and all I am doing is watching TV (say) then I may be tempted to have a chocolate biscuit. I do try and avoid this, but sometimes I do indulge.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depends how low before a meal, if not too low I'll eat a couple of jelly babies and wait 5 minutes then eat my meal but inject afterwards, I'll reduce the dose by 1 or 2 units depending on the previous reading. As I always leave at least 5 hours between meals I know my previous QA insulin is exhausted.