Children with Diabetes

mISSLGR

Hi, I have a new girl starting in my class after Easter who has t1, just wanted to ask what to look out for? And what allowances I need to make for her? Thanks

Reactions: Olihill99

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure too look at out for her sugars dropping she will become pail and sweaty you will notice it I assume she will have a libre sensor attached to her arm which will alarm you of her lows but double check with her so you know, she will need to have sugary stuff in class at all time sweets or orange juice full fat coke her mum will probs have a plan for her but just to be sure It would be safe

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have a new girl starting in my class after Easter who has t1, just wanted to ask what to look out for? And what allowances I need to make for her? Thanks

I also assume she will have the insulin pump but if she injects that will need to be assisted I reckon but he’s to double check with parents

mISSLGR

Make sure too look at out for her sugars dropping she will become pail and sweaty you will notice it I assume she will have a libre sensor attached to her arm which will alarm you of her lows but double check with her so you know, she will need to have sugary stuff in class at all time sweets or orange juice full fat coke her mum will probs have a plan for her but just to be sure It would be safe
Excellent

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
she will become pail and sweaty you will notice it
Not necessarily.
Admittedly I'm not a child, but I've never been pale when hypo and very rarely sweaty, when I was younger I definitely never had sweaty hypos.

Hi @mISSLGR, obviously the best thing to do would be to check with her parents/guardians what signs they usually notice if she is low or high and also find out if she usually knows herself if she is low/high. It may be that her behaviour changes, she might have trouble paying attention or become argumentative (speaking from experience), not everybody's symptoms are the same.

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not necessarily.
Admittedly I'm not a child, but I've never been pale when hypo and very rarely sweaty, when I was younger I definitely never had sweaty hypos.

Hi @mISSLGR, obviously the best thing to do would be to check with her parents/guardians what signs they usually notice if she is low or high and also find out if she usually knows herself if she is low/high. It may be that her behaviour changes, she might have trouble paying attention or become argumentative (speaking from experience), not everybody's symptoms are the same.

Yeah different for everyone but I’m type 1 and I deffo sweat a lot when hypo and go white pale every time but yeah I would deffo check with the parent for there signs

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It will depend on her age, understanding of her diabetes etc. Is she new to the school, or just to your class? My understanding is that schools are required to have plans in place for diabetic children, so I'd ask your colleagues and the head teacher, in addition to the child's parents/guardians.

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah different for everyone but I’m type 1 and I deffo sweat a lot when hypo and go white pale every time but yeah I would deffo check with the parent for there signs

I’m 21 as-well I think it depends on the person young or old

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
? So am I..... o_O
You said she will become pale and sweaty, I'm just saying that she might not.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The way diabetes care is done varies a lot from person to person.
I think the best thing you can do is to plan in a good long appointment with her/her parents (are we talking a 5 year old or a 15 year old here?) to let them explain exactly what you can do to help them.
If it's a very young child attending school for the first time, the parents will likely be very nervous, showing them you take their childs diabetes seriously and are willing to follow their guidance will make the world of difference.

If some of the daily diabetes care will be done or supervised by you or the school, it can be very helpful to see if her diabetes nurse can sit in on this appointment as well, to help make a sound plan to follow.

Thank you for reaching out beforehand to make things go as smoothly as possible for the girl!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Been a long time since I was at school.
You'd probably kick me out the class for being a chatterbox talking nonsense & stammering? When low.

My thoughts are if the kid goes hypo? Don't alow the child to expend any more of what little energy she might have left by "sending" somewhere else to treat the low?

She may well be packing her own "emergencies" to treat. Let her quietly carry on.
By all means keep something handy in your desk drawer or wot not..

Unfortunately, lows can if they happen be a normal part of D life.

This short & rather funky vid may give an insight.?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

There should be a detailed care plan in place, drawn up between school/parents/healthcare professionals. (This is in addition to an EHCP, if you're in England, that is.)

That will cover what's needed, who's responsible for what, and what additional training any staff involved will need. Also worth knowing how much this child does for herself and her level of understanding.

I would not assume anything about what this child uses in the way of diabetes kit until you've seen that and spoken to the parents/carers/healthcare professionals! Also, you will get to know this child well and their signs - we're all different in how we present when hypo or hyper. My students send me off to test if I'm talking what they consider nonsense.... and send me off for a walk /drink of water if they hear me muttering about a higher than an anticipated number.

The classroom I'm in has a large drawer which the three of us who are T1 in the room (yes, a bit excessive, but it's just everyday life in our classroom) all use for keeping emergency hypo supplies in. We keep spare bits of kit/consumables in a lockable drawer. Additional insulin is kept locked in a lockable fridge in our on-site nurses room.

We do extra checks around gym sessions or if we've been moving around more than usual.