Type 1 Can someone help with an eating plan

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The the person who it suppose to help with this has retired at my hospital and since then I never got an appointment, any people who do it professionally I’m type 1 diabetic so would be much appreciated I can pay.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just eat whatever I can bolus for (obviously within limits because I don't want to put weight on - but that's just knowing I cant eat as much as I used to eat and still get away with it - mainly due to age, nothing to do with my T1)

Somethings are tricky so involve more effort - for example pizza or lasagne for me means split bolus'ing - and I tend to avoid really really sweet fast-acting stuff cos the injected/pumped insulin just doesn't work fast enough for me to do that, but otherwise I'm fine.

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just eat whatever I can bolus for (obviously within limits because I don't want to put weight on - but that's just knowing I cant eat as much as I used to eat and still get away with it - mainly due to age, nothing to do with my T1)

Somethings are tricky so involve more effort - for example pizza or lasagne for me means split bolus'ing - and I tend to avoid really really sweet fast-acting stuff cos the injected/pumped insulin just doesn't work fast enough for me to do that, but otherwise I'm fine.

Thank you for your reply , can I ask are you on pump or injections ? Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And would you say the pump has helped you a lot ? Do you wish you had it sooner
It has helped me enormously mainly cos I was having big problems with my overnight levels - mainly Dawn Phenomenom which could've only otherwise be controlled by getting up multiple times a night to deal with which I just couldn't do - not if I wanted to safely drive to work in the morning anyway - basically my sugar level slowly dropped between midnight and 3am and then either stayed low all night or went lower (20% of the time - and lows overnight do not wake me up) or skyrocketed upto about 16 by the time I woke up.

Noting that before the pump even with the libre to help and a lot of effort I was only get 30-40% time in target and was always tired cos I hadn't slept well

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Olihill99 what are you after from an eating plan?
Are you wanting to lose weight? Do you have medications which limit your diet?

A healthy diet for someone with Type 1 is the same as a healthy diet for someone without diabetes.
There are some meals which may be more challenging to bolus for but if you carb count, have the correct basal and insulin to carb ratio, you should not have to restrict your diet due to Type 1.

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has helped me enormously mainly cos I was having big problems with my overnight levels - mainly Dawn Phenomenom which could've only otherwise be controlled by getting up multiple times a night to deal with which I just couldn't do - not if I wanted to safely drive to work in the morning anyway - basically my sugar level slowly dropped between midnight and 3am and then either stayed low all night or went lower (20% of the time - and lows overnight do not wake me up) or skyrocketed upto about 16 by the time I woke up.

Noting that before the pump even with the libre to help and a lot of effort I was only get 30-40% time in target and was always tired cos I hadn't slept well

Thanks for your reply
I’m trying to get pump and was just wondering how beneficial it is my sugars are nothing in target I can’t work it out with injections

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Olihill99 what are you after from an eating plan?
Are you wanting to lose weight? Do you have medications which limit your diet?

A healthy diet for someone with Type 1 is the same as a healthy diet for someone without diabetes.
There are some meals which may be more challenging to bolus for but if you carb count, have the correct basal and insulin to carb ratio, you should not have to restrict your diet due to Type 1.

Hey , not loose weight if anything gain muscle and just a balanced healthy diet I’m 21 got diagnosed last year so still coming to grips with waiting well any advise would be great I’ve started hello fresh coming mid week but that’s just teas need to work on my breakfast and Luncg

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply
I’m trying to get pump and was just wondering how beneficial it is my sugars are nothing in target I can’t work it out with injections
You do still have to work it out with a pump, it is most certainly not automatic I'm afraid, you have to program the correct basal settings fro all the timeframes in the day, the correct carb ratios for all the time frames in the day.

Some of the newer ones that work out the basal amount for you can sort out the basal for you if you have the sensors, but you still need to know what your basal rates are for if the pump fails, or the sensors/transmitters fail (my transmitter failed in February), similarly you still need to know the carb ratios for each bit of the day - my breakfast ratio is different to my lunch ratio which again is different from my dinner ratio

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You do still have to work it out with a pump, it is most certainly not automatic I'm afraid, you have to program the correct basal settings fro all the timeframes in the day, the correct carb ratios for all the time frames in the day.

Some of the newer ones that work out the basal amount for you can sort out the basal for you if you have the sensors, but you still need to know what your basal rates are for if the pump fails, or the sensors/transmitters fail (my transmitter failed in February), similarly you still need to know the carb ratios for each bit of the day - my breakfast ratio is different to my lunch ratio which again is different from my dinner ratio

Yeah get you thank you ! So I do 1:10 on a morning 1:10 on the afternoon and 1:20 on the evening what are yours just out of interest I am new to this so I’m still working them out but at the min that’s what I’m doing

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah get you thank you ! So I do 1:10 on a morning 1:10 on the afternoon and 1:20 on the evening what are yours just out of interest I am new to this so I’m still working them out but at the min that’s what I’m doing
Mine are 1:6 for midnight to 5am, 1:5 for 5am til 11am, , 1:7 for 11am til 5pm and 1:8.5 for 5pm til midnight ie, somewhat changeable :)
My correction amounts vary during the day as well

Obviously don't try my numbers as that could lead to disaster :)

My basal amounts seem to be a complete random lottery (that can change daily) thus my necessity for a pump with sensors

Reactions: EllieM

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine are 1:6 for midnight to 5am, 1:5 for 5am til 11am, , 1:7 for 11am til 5pm and 1:8.5 for 5pm til midnight ie, somewhat changeable :)
My correction amounts vary during the day as well

Obviously don't try my numbers as that could lead to disaster :)

My basal amounts seem to be a complete random lottery (that can change daily) thus my necessity for a pump with sensors

Thank you ! And yes I would not use the same in injections they are obviously set for your pump I find it so interesting how you tell it to inject at the specific times I bet it’s a great support , so obviously you don’t have any background just the support of the pump, is it a lot of work to work out your ratios ect at the start.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you ! And yes I would not use the same in injections they are obviously set for your pump I find it so interesting how you tell it to inject at the specific times I bet it’s a great support , so obviously you don’t have any background just the support of the pump, is it a lot of work to work out your ratios ect at the start.
Those numbers for the carb ratio are programmed in, but you still have to tell it how many carbs you are eating at the time so it can calculate using the ratios and then deliver when you tell it to, all it means for meal times if that it uses the already connected infusion sets to deliver it through rather than an injection

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right so let’s say you eat lunch and have 50g of carbs you would put that into the pump and then it would work it out based on the 1:7 ratio you have entered between them times

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those numbers for the carb ratio are programmed in, but you still have to tell it how many carbs you are eating at the time so it can calculate using the ratios and then deliver when you tell it to, all it means for meal times if that it uses the already connected infusion sets to deliver it through rather than an injection

And does it constantly feed insulin if so what is it working out on the ratio as you aren’t eating all time so is it injecting a unit every hour how does that part work

Really appreciate your help thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And does it constantly feed insulin if so what is it working out on the ratio as you aren’t eating all time so is it injecting a unit every hour how does that part work

Really appreciate your help thanks

For the basal - if you have a pump with sensors that can do an auto-mode it works out the basal for you (based on what you've programmed in for the time and the sensor reading), for mine it drip feeds every 5 mins (in amounts of 0.025 to 0.1 of a unit for myself), I do not know if others do the same thing. Mine aims for an average of 6.7 mmol/L and it is an unchangeable value and will not let me do a 'correction' if I am below 8.3.

But note getting a pump that works with sensor data may well require a very very very very good reason - I dont believe there are very manty at my hospital who got it funded as at least the one my hospital will fund is very expensive (noting that I did not get a choice of pump, it was that one or nothing)

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the basal - if you have a pump with sensors that can do an auto-mode it works out the basal for you (based on what you've programmed in for the time and the sensor reading), for mine it drip feeds every 5 mins (in amounts of 0.025 to 0.1 of a unit for myself), I do not know if others do the same thing. Mine aims for an average of 6.7 mmol/L and it is an unchangeable value and will not let me do a 'correction' if I am below 8.3.

But note getting a pump that works with sensor data may well require a very very very very good reason - I dont believe there are very manty at my hospital who got it funded as at least the one my hospital will fund is very expensive (noting that I did not get a choice of pump, it was that one or nothing)

Sound thank you for your assistance really appreciate the help I will let you know how I get on :)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rokaab, which pump are you on, and why can't you do a correction below 8.3? Might you not need 0.2 say to get you to your average of 6.7, or does the pump automatically give you that correction dose?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rokaab, which pump are you on, and why can't you do a correction below 8.3? Might you not need 0.2 say to get you to your average of 6.7, or does the pump automatically give you that correction dose?
I'm using the Medtronic 670g (ie not the newest one).
It doesn't let me manually do correction doses (using the BG to work it out) below 8.3 because its in auto mode and figures it can sort it out itself with its basal auto-mode - of course its not always right about this ......

When in auto-modes corrections are based on trying to get it to 8.3 and letting the basal auto sort out the rest

When its not in auto-mode it'll work its correction amount based on the value I've set (5.6), but its not a very good idea to keep swapping between the modes, it needs to stay in auto-mode really to get its brain in gear - only time I have it not in auto-mode is when I change sensors and there's a warmup for the new sensor

Last edited: