Type 1 Type 1 diabetes and pregnant

louiseB6

Hi, I’m new to this. My hba1c is currently estimating at 66mmol (I’m not sure what this is in %) this is what my freestyle libre app is telling me, I will know properly what my reading is when I’ve had my appointment at hospital next week. I’ve not always been great with my diabetes, 1 month ago my hba1c was at 79mmol and not long before that was nearly in the 90’s so I’m doing really well. I’ve wanted to have a baby for a long time now and the times finally right hence why Im trying to get my diabetes under such good control. Im just a bit worried I may be pregnant now and my hba1c still isn’t where it needs to be when getting pregnant (<48mmol) basically my question is has anyone got caught pregnant whilst their hba1c wasn’t in range and am I at great risk? Thank you x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @louiseB6 and welcome to the forums.

There've been quite a few threads on here from people with high preconception hba1cs,

While 66 isn't great it could be a lot worse.

And remember that in the olden days pre glucometer (eg my T1 mum) hba1cs were much higher than they are now. (My T1 mother in the early 1960s went up from Hampshire to a London teaching hospital to have her antenatal care.)

The good news is that glucose sensors allow for much better diabetic control and scans allow doctors to detect any issues at an early stage. Statistically, higher hba1cs lead to a greater likelihood of issues, but it's a numbers game and modern T1 mums are in a better place than ever before to have successful pregnancies.

So good luck, and if you're pregnant now, congratulations, and get yourself to a doctor asap so you can reduce your bg levels even further and get the antenatal care you need (folic acid etc).

Reactions: louiseB6

Joy1988

Morning, try not to panic! I fell pregnant with my little boy unexpectedly and was around the same as you. I lowered my hba1c over time with the help of my diabetes team and all was well throughout the pregnancy! I know everyone is different but it’s what you do from here that’ll make the difference! Your doing really well to lower your hba1c so that’s a great start anyway so try not to be so hard on yourself! Take care x

Reactions: louiseB6

louiseB6

Hi @louiseB6 and welcome to the forums.

There've been quite a few threads on here from people with high preconception hba1cs,

While 66 isn't great it could be a lot worse.

And remember that in the olden days pre glucometer (eg my T1 mum) hba1cs were much higher than they are now. (My T1 mother in the early 1960s went up from Hampshire to a London teaching hospital to have her antenatal care.)

The good news is that glucose sensors allow for much better diabetic control and scans allow doctors to detect any issues at an early stage. Statistically, higher hba1cs lead to a greater likelihood of issues, but it's a numbers game and modern T1 mums are in a better place than ever before to have successful pregnancies.

So good luck, and if you're pregnant now, congratulations, and get yourself to a doctor asap so you can reduce your bg levels even further and get the antenatal care you need (folic acid etc).

Thank you! :)

louiseB6

Morning, try not to panic! I fell pregnant with my little boy unexpectedly and was around the same as you. I lowered my hba1c over time with the help of my diabetes team and all was well throughout the pregnancy! I know everyone is different but it’s what you do from here that’ll make the difference! Your doing really well to lower your hba1c so that’s a great start anyway so try not to be so hard on yourself! Take care x

Aw thank you! :) x