Type 1 and other autoimmune conditions

Gleary85

My son was diagnosed 2 years ago he’s 10.

Pre diabetes and recently he’s had his 4th shingles attack.

He has to go to the immunology clinic to be tested for further autoimmune conditions

Has anyone else had this or similar

Thank you

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do have 3 auto-immune system issues (Type 1, Coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) and Graves Disease (hyperthyroid)) as if you have one immune system problem its not entirely uncommon to have more

But I've never been to an immunology clinic or had shingles (45 years of T1 so far)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
It might be worth asking the Immunology Department if they have any comparable experiences - not necessarily shingles.
I agree with @Rokaab above, but I have only experienced symptoms that are likely to have been caused by Type 1 diabetes, such as urticaria and eczema. My immediate reaction to your post was "Ouch, the poor chap. I've never heard of this in anyone that young. I had chicken pox as a young Type 1 but waited till I was 60 before getting shingles. He has my utmost sympathy. I hope they find a helpful treatment quickly.

Reactions: missnic

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a few autoimmune conditions and have had shingles a few times, the first time I think I was 12/13.
Like @Rokaab I've never been to an immunology clinic, although I was seen in a rheumatology clinic once when I just had the type 1 (unrelated-ish to my diabetes).

Gleary85

It might be worth asking the Immunology Department if they have any comparable experiences - not necessarily shingles.
I agree with @Rokaab above, but I have only experienced symptoms that are likely to have been caused by Type 1 diabetes, such as urticaria and eczema. My immediate reaction to your post was "Ouch, the poor chap. I've never heard of this in anyone that young. I had chicken pox as a young Type 1 but waited till I was 60 before getting shingles. He has my utmost sympathy. I hope they find a helpful treatment quickly.

Ah thanks for the reply! Ino bless him it’s quite nasty and always in the same place. Hoping for some sort of vaccine for it to stop any nerve damage from it

Gleary85

I have a few autoimmune conditions and have had shingles a few times, the first time I think I was 12/13.
Like @Rokaab I've never been to an immunology clinic, although I was seen in a rheumatology clinic once when I just had the type 1 (unrelated-ish to my diabetes).

I think when Iv done the dreaded google it says lupus is highly linked with reoccurring shingles. I think Iv just worried myself. Will have to wait and see what they say xx thanks for the reply

Gleary85

I do have 3 auto-immune system issues (Type 1, Coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) and Graves Disease (hyperthyroid)) as if you have one immune system problem its not entirely uncommon to have more

But I've never been to an immunology clinic or had shingles (45 years of T1 so far)

Ah no 3! My sister has coeliac and its hard enough without type 1 to contend with!
I’m hoping it’s not anything else and maybe related to the diabetes x thanks for the reply

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think when Iv done the dreaded google it says lupus is highly linked with reoccurring shingles. I think Iv just worried myself. Will have to wait and see what they say xx thanks for the reply
If it helps (probably not :)) my mum has lupus and has never had shingles.
It probably doesn't feel like a good thing being referred to the immunology clinic, but if there is something else going on at least you can find out what that is and get some answers, sometimes it can take many years to get diagnosed with autoimmune conditions otherwise :nailbiting: