Freestyle Libre 2

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Folks.

Just been reading with interest about the Freestyle Libre 2, please may I ask for your advice and thoughts on the following?

1) does it have to be on the under arm?
2) is it just a stick on sensor?
3) are they painful to apply/remove?
4) are they really THAT good?

I've gone on to a Ascencia Contour Next and the app has been brilliant, I'd like to get away from finger pricking and as a HGV driver, this would make more sense to me.

Thanks as always for any advice and pointers.

Kev

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using Libre for a few years and find it great for me but experiences vary.
To answer your questions
- the advice is to attach it to the back of your arm. It has only been officially tested there but some people put it elsewhere.
- it is a sensor with a filament that goes into your arm (or wherever you chose to put it)
- I do not find them painful to apply or remove. However, there is a largish needle which is used to deploy the filament which appears scary but, in reality, the clunk when you apply it is so distracting, you don’t notice.
- what do you mean by THAT good? It has limitations which are well documented and repeated multiple times on this forum (the search at the top right of the way will help you find previous threads about Libre). I use it for my insulin dosage but I am only confident to use it because my levels are not too high or low and I use an alternative app which allows me to calibrate it gain st finger pricks. Regardless, it is useful to identify trends.

I believe there is currently a free trial on offer from their website which is worthwhile if you want to check it out yourself.

Reactions: pinkfoot and EllieM

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using Libre for a few years and find it great for me but experiences vary.

- what do you mean by THAT good? It has limitations which are well documented and repeated multiple times on this forum (the search at the top right of the way will help you find previous threads about Libre). I use it for my insulin dosage but I am only confident to use it because my levels are not too high or low and I use an alternative app which allows me to calibrate it gain st finger pricks. Regardless, it is useful to identify trends.

I believe there is currently a free trial on offer from their website which is worthwhile if you want to check it out yourself.

I really appreciate your detailed response and your time in replying.

I'd read over several posts of late that people were finding them invaluable, your advice to search and look at the ups and downs is very welcome and I'll take a nosey!

My shortcomings are that being a driver, I would be very conscious of hitting the sensor and damaging it or myself.

Thanks for your trouble and advice.

Reactions: In Response

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been using a Libre 2 now for a few months and wouldn't now be without it. I use the under arm and swap the arm every 2 weeks. I try to place it to avoid it resting on the edge of the car seat etc. Some people find it falls off but my sensors stick like glue (literally) and are never knocked off. Skin types seem to vary. I always use the recommended alcohol wipes (not included now but I use a bottle of propanol) and shave the skin. Application is not painful at all neither is removal. So I would say they are that good. Very occasionally you get a 'Try again in 10 minutes' message when the sensor has a bad day but it resumes within 15 minutes or so. The great thing with the Lbre2 is the alarm feature. I use my mobile phone as the reader and it alarms if my BS goes too low or high and you can adjust the setting. This is great if you are driving or overnight.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I've been using a Libre 2 now for a few months and wouldn't now be without it. I use the under arm and swap the arm every 2 weeks. I try to place it to avoid it resting on the edge of the car seat etc. Some people find it falls off but my sensors stick like glue (literally) and are never knocked off. Skin types seem to vary. I always use the recommended alcohol wipes (not included now but I use a bottle of propanol) and shave the skin. Application is not painful at all neither is removal. So I would say they are that good. Very occasionally you get a 'Try again in 10 minutes' message when the sensor has a bad day but it resumes within 15 minutes or so. The great thing with the Lbre2 is the alarm feature. I use my mobile phone as the reader and it alarms if my BS goes too low or high and you can adjust the setting. This is great if you are driving or overnight.

Daibell.

Thank you, I think I need to weigh this up very carefully - I can see the added value for alerts especially driving HGV.
The boys in Black and Yellow (DVSA) would be suitably impressed I think, me whipping my phone out and giving a bespoke reading :)

I'm very cautious about the sensor though, the roping/sheeting/strapping I do on a daily basis leaves me bruised at times.

Thanks so much for your trouble in replying, it is very much appreciated.

Kev

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Daibell.

Thank you, I think I need to weigh this up very carefully - I can see the added value for alerts especially driving HGV.
The boys in Black and Yellow (DVSA) would be suitably impressed I think, me whipping my phone out and giving a bespoke reading :)

I'm very cautious about the sensor though, the roping/sheeting/strapping I do on a daily basis leaves me bruised at times.

Thanks so much for your trouble in replying, it is very much appreciated.

Kev

You can put tape over the sensor to protect it.
When I first started using Libre I used Kinesthetic tape to make sure that it was secure.
I left a bit of backing on where the tape went over the sensor so I could change the tape if needed without worrying about it sticking to the sensor.

I stopped doing this because the sensor sticks very strongly to my arm, but it was reassuring whilst I was using it.