Apple Cider Vinegar

Madisons

Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar before or after meals, and does it really help your blood glucose levels? And if so, when is the best time to take it? I am trying to get my H1C prediabetes 6.1 down and read that ACV might help in this. It's supposed to supress hunger but in my case, doesn't seem to work, as I am always hungry, and lost alot of weight but not even trying. This leads me to fear that I am heading in the T1?LADA diabetes which is what my mother is. Any feedback would help!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are losing weight (especially a lot) without trying, get back to the doc and ask for a c-peptide test.

ACV will not be of any use.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is ACV not sugary? I thought we had to avoid vinegars. It would be useful if we didn't. Careful how you take it, as our dentists would not be happy if we took it neat/in water as a drink.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar before or after meals, and does it really help your blood glucose levels? And if so, when is the best time to take it? I am trying to get my H1C prediabetes 6.1 down and read that ACV might help in this. It's supposed to supress hunger but in my case, doesn't seem to work, as I am always hungry, and lost alot of weight but not even trying. This leads me to fear that I am heading in the T1?LADA diabetes which is what my mother is. Any feedback would help!
Hi I take it I’ve been taken it since march but I take the tablets from Holland and Barrett’s

Reactions: tinyroman

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
ACV isn't a fasting issue, but I'll pop in here and give my 2cents worth.

Vinegars are not sugary - the fermentation process makes fermented foods and drinks excellent for those with blood glucose issues (for everyone really). It's to do with maintaining a healthy gut biome and digestive system, which is part of our blood glucose regulation system with various chemical/metabolic actions happening along the digestive journey.

I myself go through a bottle of my favourite ACV fairly regularly. I hate to drink it. So I have it in sauces and salad dressings combined with low-carb mayos and aioli - yum! My mint sauce made from merely mint and ACV is very nice, and as I eat a lot of lamb (I live in Aotearoa/New Zealand) , I go through that reasonably fast.

I encourage my adult children to take ACV regularly, as gallstones run in my family, and me no exception. I kept my gall bladder and the frequent taking of ACV (the acids in the apple as well as the vinegar per se) are the thing that does the trick. One of my brothers had pancreatitis and I read recently that that can come from gallstones - it did not surprise me taking a look at diagrams of our digestive systems, and our pancreas features highly for those of us with diabetes, or a tendency to get it.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
ACV isn't a fasting issue, but I'll pop in here and give my 2cents worth.

Vinegars are not sugary - the fermentation process makes fermented foods and drinks excellent for those with blood glucose issues (for everyone really). It's to do with maintaining a healthy gut biome and digestive system, which is part of our blood glucose regulation system with various chemical/metabolic actions happening along the digestive journey.

I myself go through a bottle of my favourite ACV fairly regularly. I hate to drink it. So I have it in sauces and salad dressings combined with low-carb mayos and aioli - yum! My mint sauce made from merely mint and ACV is very nice, and as I eat a lot of lamb (I live in Aotearoa/New Zealand) , I go through that reasonably fast.

I encourage my adult children to take ACV regularly, as gallstones run in my family, and me no exception. I kept my gall bladder and the frequent taking of ACV (the acids in the apple as well as the vinegar per se) are the thing that does the trick. One of my brothers had pancreatitis and I read recently that that can come from gallstones - it did not surprise me taking a look at diagrams of our digestive systems, and our pancreas features highly for those of us with diabetes, or a tendency to get it.
Thank you for sharing I don’t like to drink it that’s why I bought the tablets. I will try the apple cider on a salad next time I go shopping I will buy a bottle to try thanks please can you tell me how to make the mint sauce I’ve just showed my partner and he said Oohh is like to try that lol xx

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's so easy I am embarrassed to pass it on! Either pick and chop your own mint, or buy it (I'm no gardener so I buy mine). I use a lot of mint because I love it. Put in a cute little jar. Half fill the wee jar with ACV, shake it, and enjoy! Over time you can just add mint, and ACV, and it gets lovelier and lovelier.

BTW, I tried ACV tablets when I had to accept I hated to drink it, so didn't. They made no impact. (But folks are different, as are tablets.)

Whereas, if I had a gallstone attack, I would add apple syrup to the ACV, and force myself to drink it with boiled water and a little lemon juice (if you have ever had a gallstone attack you will understand that you will drink ACV and lemon to get rid of the pain in a heart beat - anything! Including heavy duty pain relief.) It worked a treat. And I don't get gallstone attacks any more, not for years - touch wood.

Reactions: Dicky300

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all that useful information. I used to use ACV a lot as a salad dressing and to give va-va-voom to soups and casseroles, so it will be really nice to re-acquaint myself with it.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Waspdog

For what it is worth, while on a fasting regime, I occasionally snack (a few pieces) of homemade pickled cucumber made with ACV. And by the way I do this because I like them, and they are virtually carb free, not because of any beneficial effect that there may be from ACV.

Hi Hat Annie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is ACV not sugary? I thought we had to avoid vinegars. It would be useful if we didn't. Careful how you take it, as our dentists would not be happy if we took it neat/in water as a drink.
I always take it with water and extra virgin olive oil. First thing in the morning and through a straw. I have just started on the keto 'diet'. I don't take breakfast now until 11am and a meal at 5pm no snacks in between. My main meal follows the rainbow. Green, red, blue, orange, yellow. Very little carbs. Discovered new vegetables like orca, roasted on a baking sheet. I only have fruit that is in season like blackberries, raspberries, strawberries. I like Dr Grundy on YouTube. He makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Dicky300

Pam*

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I have organic apple cider vinegar with mother as often as I can, often in a dressing on salads. I have been following the Glucose Goddess on Facebook and she recommends it. Anyone else follow her?

Reactions: Rich T and AloeSvea

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insincerity, mediocrity, politics
july 2023, If you look at the Zoe podcasts there is one on there from an American researcher...I think it was about March 2023....She was just finishing a book , was T2 and worked for a research company that put her on a continual monitor.
Two main takeaways - save waiting for/reading book- vinegar at the start of a meal and then the order you eat the food. helps control blood sugar,
So either teaspoon of ACV in glass of water ..OR... ACV on salad, then eat veg, then eat protein , then eat carbs.
I've been trying it but haven't got a continual monitor on so random prick test after to try and find spikes.
But she was convinced and bases this on research data... Obvs this hasn't hit the MSM yet as she will probably need a catchy name for the book launch . But she came across as very credible so excuse my cynical book remarks.

I'll try and find her name...or please some one check and reply.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
july 2023, If you look at the Zoe podcasts there is one on there from an American researcher...I think it was about March 2023....She was just finishing a book , was T2 and worked for a research company that put her on a continual monitor.
Two main takeaways - save waiting for/reading book- vinegar at the start of a meal and then the order you eat the food. helps control blood sugar,
So either teaspoon of ACV in glass of water ..OR... ACV on salad, then eat veg, then eat protein , then eat carbs.
I've been trying it but haven't got a continual monitor on so random prick test after to try and find spikes.
But she was convinced and bases this on research data... Obvs this hasn't hit the MSM yet as she will probably need a catchy name for the book launch . But she came across as very credible so excuse my cynical book remarks.

I'll try and find her name...or please some one check and reply.
It wasn’t Dr Elizabeth Bright was it? It sound like something she would do :)

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It wasn’t Dr Elizabeth Bright was it? It sound like something she would do :)
No, This one looks the girl off "Killing Eve" ;)

hold on...

This goes straight to food in order bit.
See what I mean about looky likey.

• Agree

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes I’ve just discovered Jessica and downloaded he book onto audible but she has a really boring voice :rolleyes: :p

Dicky300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh yes I’ve just discovered Jessica and downloaded he book onto audible but she has a really boring voice :rolleyes: :p
excellent , didn't know it was out there yet.
Remember the 8th habit of highly effective people...find your voice and inspire.
Feel free to share any takeaways from listening to the book , it will reinforce the learning. That might help putting up with the voice. ! ;)