Non-diabetic hyperglycaemia -a new category?

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The above appeared on my Medical record last year without explanation.
This year this has appeared -
"(Quality and Outcomes Framework) non-diabetic hyperglycaemia quality indicator-related care" invitation,
It seems GPs are trawling through patients' records looking for candidates. I once had a highish fasting number, but Hba1cs over 7 years are between 23-31.(edited to clarify)

https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Default/Standards-and-indicators/QOF Indicator Key documents/NM149 piloting report.pdf

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The above appeared on my Medical record last year without explanation.
This year this has appeared -
"(Quality and Outcomes Framework) non-diabetic hyperglycaemia quality indicator-related care" invitation,
It seems GPs are trawling through patients' records looking for candidates. I once had a high fasting number, but Hba1c 23-31.

https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Default/Standards-and-indicators/QOF Indicator Key documents/NM149 piloting report.pdf

Hi, couldn't download the pdf!
I was once described as this and there are still others that are classed as non diabetic HYPOglycaemia. Or postprandial non diabetic hypoglycaemia, or non diabetic postprandial syndrome! They have been reclassed as Reactive Hypoglycaemia.
But how do you get someone with high constant diabetic levels, And not be diabetic? Even those in remission are still classed and registered as diabetic?
your hba1c levels are impressive, and as such probably deemed to be low!
is this where the confusion of your diagnosis is confused?
I did believe you were T2?

When I was diagnosed, if I had some odd readings, I would retest or get the doctors to retest your blood panels!I
Stay safe.

Reactions: EllieM

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
PDF loads ok for me in England. I think it is a new way of getting funding. I think White Coat Syndrome lead to high fasting bloods at the GPs, they're ok at home, ditto Blood Pressure.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Very interesting, I can't see how you could have too many high levels and not end up with diabetes, though as @Lamont D said, reactive hypoglycemia is a possibility because the highs are balanced out.

I once had a high fasting number, but Hba1c 23-31.
Maybe the critical thing here is "once", which to be honest could even be a testing error. I suppose the classification might make sense if it means you get your hba1c checked more often?

Of course, if you want to correct the anomaly, you could try eating a high carb diet as recommended by the NHS, which might encourage any potential carb intolerances to manifest. Though with a starting bas of an hba1c of 23 I suspect there's a good chance there aren't any intolerances in the first place, (Disclaimer, that was a joke, don't try this at home.:))

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
PDF loads ok for me in England. I think it is a new way of getting funding. I think White Coat Syndrome lead to high fasting bloods at the GPs, they're ok at home, ditto Blood Pressure.
I would still get some blood panels done!
You can get it done by someone who is not your doctor, maybe a phlebotamist?
One does mine at my surgery!
What ever makes you feel comfortable!

It's my kindle, it has trouble downloading some stuff, I'm not too tech savvy to solve it!
If you could cut and paste or is it a confidential document that can't be shown in public?

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The title is - University of Birmingham and University of York Health Economics Consortium (NCCID) Development feedback report on piloted indicators QOF indicator area: Diabetes prevention Pilot period: 1 st October 2016 – 28th February 2017 Potential output: Recommendations for NICE menu

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Surgery hasn't actually informed me, found the 'diagnosis' had appeared on my medical record, invited to have a NON-fasting blood test.
Non-diabetic hyperglycaemia doesn't make sense to me, other than finding another way for funding.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tooooo difficult. I thought that hyperglycemia was the definition of diabetes. Mind you, it's early in the morning and there are other things I also don't understand.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be more useful to test insulin levels.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Surgery hasn't actually informed me, found the 'diagnosis' had appeared on my medical record, invited to have a NON-fasting blood test.
Non-diabetic hyperglycaemia doesn't make sense to me, other than finding another way for funding.

I still think it's a typo!
A non fasting blood panel is used for diabetes or finding how your bg reacts to food! With hypoglycaemia it is always a fasting blood panel.
It just doesn't make sense!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes