Sad and embarressed

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Hi Everyone! :)

It's a bit of a sensitive question but is there anyone else on here who has a colostomy and takes Metformin who might be able to advise me on something?
I've been on Metformin 2 weeks now and I was aware Metformin can cause nausea and looser motions but my biggest problem is since taking this medication is the excess wind which is VERY loud and uncontrollable with a stoma and bag and I'm now at the stage I dont want to leave my house anymore because of all the strange looks and laughter this has provoked in members of the public! :cry:

crumblecookie

Hi
I don't have an answer but I am sorry that people can be so insensitive to others. I do hope that things settle down for you but please don't become a recluse just because of this. If no one can help you on this site ( and I am sure they will 'cos they have helped me) please go back to your doctor and see if they can give you some other medication that will not cause the same problems.
Good luck and keep your chin up we are all rooting for you.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin does have some effect for some people when they start it. I remember that I had alot of nausea and stomach upsets. Usually its the body getting used to the new meds. Hopefully it will settle down in about 3 or 4 weeks but if not, i agree that you should visit the doc again.

Take care
Clay

C

catherinecherub

bigfatpaulie said:
Hi Everyone! :)

It's a bit of a sensitive question but is there anyone else on here who has a colostomy and takes Metformin who might be able to advise me on something?
I've been on Metformin 2 weeks now and I was aware Metformin can cause nausea and looser motions but my biggest problem is since taking this medication is the excess wind which is VERY loud and uncontrollable with a stoma and bag and I'm now at the stage I dont want to leave my house anymore because of all the strange looks and laughter this has provoked in members of the public! :cry:

How embarrassing for you. Don't hesitate but get an appointment a.s.a.p. Your quality of life matters and should be the Dr's priority. You probably need the help of a dietitian as well because the foods that are ideal for diabetes may give you more problems too. It is a fine line between getting the stoma care right to fit in with the dietary management of diabetes.
Take care.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Thanks everybody for your support! :)
I think if things don't settle down soon then I'll see my G.P as a matter of urgency as although I'm seeing the Nurse next week I have found her to be not much help to be honest and she doesnt seem to listen to my concerns about getting my Diabetes controlled properly before I can have my stoma reversed.
It's just been a tough 12 months,Bowel cancer aged 35 with the surgery done last march followed by MRSA and now this new diagnosis on top has made me a little depressed BUT I'm determined to turn things round one way or another.

Grazer

Hey Paulie, wind is a known side effect of normal Metformin, but there is a Slow Release version, Metformin SR, which doesn't have the same side effects. Doctors put us on the normal stuff first because it's cheaper. Go back, and explain the problem with your particular condition, and I'm sure he'll put you on the SR.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on Metformin SR, the slow release version? As long as it isn't contra-indicated for your condition then do ask for it as it should reduce wind etc

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I did hear of someone with an ileostomy (not much chance of reversing it) who after the op could not tolerate the T2 meds agressive side effects and they now successfully manage with insulin.