Silly question about Hypo's

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Due to a number of complications recently, I have lost all awareness of having an Hypo! I have been diabetic for 23 years now and always had awareness, with sweating/shaking etc.

I have recently started to use the Libre 2 and have found really useful, especially during the night.

Question is what happens when my Blood sugars go to low? do i collapse ? lowest its been at night when the alarm goes of is 2.7 yet I feel fine.

One of the main complications I have is substantial damage to my autonomic nervous system approaching complete failure, would this contribute to the problem?

thanks for your time.

Jon

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi Jon,
Confirm a low alarm with a finger prick test, it could very well be a compression low during sleep.
Evertime my Libre is on my right arm I get a compression low.

I'm sure someone will be able to respond to your other queries, and offer some advice...
Chris

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Question is what happens when my Blood sugars go to low? do i collapse ? lowest its been at night when the alarm goes of is 2.7 yet I feel fine.
Always confirm with a fingerstick!

As for your question, I'll tag @EllieM for you, if I remember correctly she has experience of hypo-unawareness.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Due to a number of complications recently, I have lost all awareness of having an Hypo! I have been diabetic for 23 years now and always had awareness, with sweating/shaking etc.

I have recently started to use the Libre 2 and have found really useful, especially during the night.

One of the main complications I have is substantial damage to my autonomic nervous system approaching complete failure, would this contribute to the problem?

thanks for your time.

Jon
The symptoms of a hypo are a mile long and I’ve experienced different ones and different times throughout my life, with the most intense symptoms at the lowest numbers (not surprisingly). Whilst you might feel fine at a low level that doesn’t mean you are fine, and you should treat appropriately to avoid things getting worse.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I know at really low levels (whilst I was awake) I have passed out, so it is possible, but that was a long time ago that it got that low that it last happened - I awoke to see some paramedics in front of me

Joy1988

Yea unfortunately if it goes too low your most likely going to collapse! You could maybe amend your settings so your sensor alerts you when your bloods are dropping but at a slightly higher number? Mines at at below 5 so just gives me the chance to have a snack first if needs be to try catch it before it
drops any lower!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for the tag @Antje77

I've been T1 for 52 years and over that time my symptoms have changed and got milder.

But I've lost hypo awareness several times, the first two during my pregnancies when I was keeping my bgs low and having a lot of hypos. My poor husband was terrified because I had a night time hypo when I got so low that I was seising on the bed with my eyes rolled back and he wasn't sure whether I was dying. (His account, I have no memory of it).

In general, I found that loss of hypo awareness came whenever I kept my bgs too low and had frequent hypos. After my most recent bad hypo (3 years ago, passed out at the shops, went to A&E) my endocrinologist suggested that I keep my bgs at 6-12 for a while to restore awareness, which worked.

Now that cgms are available I set my dexcom alarm at 4,4 and avoid serious hypos, though if it goes down towards the low 3s I have to use a glucometer to catch how low I actually am, as the dexcom lags a bit.

I've had readings in the high 2s without issue, but I suspect one's personal "collapse" level might vary, and an under 3 reading is when I tend to panic a bit.

One indicator I used to have is my ability to do maths would disappear when hypo eg try counting down in 7s from 100 and see how easy it is.

I don't know about the autonomic nervous system, I suspect that is something you should ask your team.

I would be very interested in the answer as to whether there is an official "you will pass out at this level" blood sugar level.

And with great reluctance I have to say that alcohol seems to reduce my awareness, at least at the moment.

Not sure if any of the above helps, but I would stress that some people can regain lost hypo awareness.