Prediabetes Can’t stay in ketosis

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry, almost missed your message, new here xD, ok so and remember I am a person not a doctor so I will try to type as best as I remember.... the excess glucose is a symptom of too much sugar intake, what we need to address is not "just" the excess sugar but the raises in insulin in the body, u will not see the increase of 50% glucose because its an increase in insulin, so the way I see it and I hope I am correct:

lets say u just eat a piece of healthy fish, since it raises insulin (which is what prevents body fat loss and main cause, beginning of disregulating the body's functions "insulin resistance - we want to fix this, by eating the fish, fruits, carbs, too much protein we are raising insulin making the resistance worse", so you will not see a glucose spike and rthink fish is good.

yes fish is very healthy but not when you want your insulin level as low as possible for as long as possible, hope it made sense.
Sorry - you must have misunderstood the process - insulin is released by the pancreas in response to rising glucose levels - the glucose comes from digesting carbohydrate.
When protein and fats are digested they do not become glucose or any other simple sugar.
They can at some point be broken down into ketones or glucose, but not before they have been incorporated into the body and only then in times of need. Type ones see something slightly different - but I am not a type one.
Eating protein and fat doesn't result in raised blood glucose, so insulin is not released. It is why meat, fish, eggs, cheese and other full fat dairy are excellent foods for a type two diabetic or any other person as they maintain the body and do not cause problems. I have eaten such a diet for 5 years from diagnosis and my metabolism is very much improved, my thyroid is working again, I have lost weight and can eat carbs once in a while, but as I am no longer resistant to insulin, I then see an increase in my waistline and need to cut back for some time in order to maintain my remission.

zerocarbisbest

Sorry - you must have misunderstood the process - insulin is released by the pancreas in response to rising glucose levels - the glucose comes from digesting carbohydrate.
When protein and fats are digested they do not become glucose or any other simple sugar.
They can at some point be broken down into ketones or glucose, but not before they have been incorporated into the body and only then in times of need. Type ones see something slightly different - but I am not a type one.
Eating protein and fat doesn't result in raised blood glucose, so insulin is not released. It is why meat, fish, eggs, cheese and other full fat dairy are excellent foods for a type two diabetic or any other person as they maintain the body and do not cause problems. I have eaten such a diet for 5 years from diagnosis and my metabolism is very much improved, my thyroid is working again, I have lost weight and can eat carbs once in a while, but as I am no longer resistant to insulin, I then see an increase in my waistline and need to cut back for some time in order to maintain my remission.
I see, but in the end the excess of incomplete proteins will remain in the body, which will be piling up gradually. Me personally I decided to reduce the intake of carbs to zero(as close as possible) and proteins as much as I could, focusing in avocado(homemade guacamole), coconut, olives, huge variety of leafy greens and olive oil, butter. That in itself lowers insulin a lot, and depending on how long you been T2, you can see huge benefits quickly. People need to understand that insulin needs to be down as long as possible for the body to heal, NOT JUST GLUCOSE, you can "easily" keep sugars in range and have insulin high damaging insulin resistance by the day. I lost 25kg from eating those, and as I took control of my hunger included a few fasting days. It doesn't take too much food to keep us alive and within desirable weight, so when I eat I don't touch refined carbs. May have gone a bit off topic, sorry.

Reactions: zand

zerocarbisbest

Im off to work now, what you said about sugar triggering insulin, I quiclky googled and got the first result I found, please check this and let me know what you think. quote "While high protein, virtually no-carb foods like meat and eggs are low on the glycemic index, they measure high on the insulin index. In other words, while the meat and eggs didn’t cause a spike in blood sugar the way most carbohydrates do, they do result in a significant rise in insulin". from... https://thestrongkitchen.com/blog/post/insulin-response-it-comes-from-eating-protein-too

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im off to work now, what you said about sugar triggering insulin, I quiclky googled and got the first result I found, please check this and let me know what you think. quote "While high protein, virtually no-carb foods like meat and eggs are low on the glycemic index, they measure high on the insulin index. In other words, while the meat and eggs didn’t cause a spike in blood sugar the way most carbohydrates do, they do result in a significant rise in insulin". from... https://thestrongkitchen.com/blog/post/insulin-response-it-comes-from-eating-protein-too

Try some Bikman I think this is the one..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zerocarbisbest Thanks for your input here. I think the reason you are getting objections to your thoughts is that most T2s only need to limit carbs to lose weight and get their metabolisms working properly again. For those, like me, who have lost some weight but have been stuck and not lost any for years the subject of limiting proteins too is an interesting one. It is one I meant to have put on the back burner a while back, but life and sorting out my adrenal glands and then, covid, took over and I never revisited it. Thanks to you I will. Just need to get rid of this covid chest infection first.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Whoops sorry guys.
I feel Iv dropped a bombshell with my question.
Thank you all for your input. I have a great deal of study to do.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whoops sorry guys.
I feel Iv dropped a bombshell with my question.
Thank you all for your input. I have a great deal of study to do.
No apologies needed, if anything it’s our fault for wandering off topic a bit. It’s all a learning experience though if you can bear with us.

Reactions: Wilber123

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
seen some of his videos before, he is in my good people to watch list, towards the end he says that someone who is very T2 would benefit to keep protein low and as the body improves change to a bit more protein.
Thank you. I tried to watch it but couldn't retain any of it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn't make sense to me - what would cause the insulin to be released and why doesn't it reduce blood glucose?

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My Bg is 6.2 most mornings

But my weight has been going up so started a Keto low carb average 20/30 carbs pr day.
Went right into ketosis, list 4.5 lb the first week.
Nothing changed but dropped out of ketosis and now gained half a lb.
I’m confused.

Can anyone help please.
I use olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Good quality protein, fish chicken meat, no beans or pulses. No bread pasta rice potato.
I am on Antidepressants and tablet for Hiatus hernia.

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

But my weight has been going up so started a Keto low carb average 20/30 carbs pr day.
I’m confused.

Can anyone help please.
I use olive oil, butter, coconut oil. Good quality protein, fish chicken meat, no beans or pulses. No bread pasta rice potato.

Pammypants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cold

I’m confused.

Can anyone help please.
Hi just wondering if you have spoken to the gp regards your medication, that can be the thing that makes a difference. Have you tried intermittent fasting or time restricted eating. If you are T2 you can try having just one very nutritious meal a day, drink bobtail or oxo to keep hunger at bay. Watch some YouTube videos in intermittent fasting.