Ypsomed Pump

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What is everyones thoughts on the Ypsomed pump, this is the one that my NHS Hospital can be provide me, or directing me to?

It will be my first ever pump so need to be sure it is right for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No one can tell,you what will be right for you but if it is the only,pump on offer, your clinic would not have selected one that was unreliable.
It is not uncommon to,struggle at the start with a first pump and then end up loving it.
As for whether you should go for this pump, if it is the Ypsimed or no pump, why not go for it?

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No one can tell,you what will be right for you but if it is the only,pump on offer, your clinic would not have selected one that was unreliable.
It is not uncommon to,struggle at the start with a first pump and then end up loving it.
As for whether you should go for this pump, if it is the Ypsimed or no pump, why not go for it?

Very true, and very happy to be offered one at this point in my life. Like you say, as long as I have the medical/tech support I do not have any preference, as long as it improves my complications that I now have.

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Ive not been on here for a while.

I got my first pump in January 2021. This would not have been my choice of pump. Depends what you want from a pump. Currently the Yposmed is just a pump it does not do closed loop. And when it does it will only be for android users. I have an iPhone and the app keeps giving me issues as there is a known error between the app and the motif cloud. The app has not been fixed and its now a year later and still waiting. Their answer is not to stay logged into the account. And it takes 20 attempts to log in to update the info for my team. I have had a number of electronic errors which have resulted in me having the pump replaced twice so I am now on my 3rd pump

matchless

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ermintrude i shall be changing from my medtronic pump to ypsomed soon which will be my 4th pump in 12years ,the nurse came to my house and showed me the ypsomed and the tandem which i has shown interest in with my endo and chose the YPSOMED pump which is so small and light , the main reasons i chose the ypsomed is changing of the cartrage ( reservoir ) which is so easy and quick and the size and weight of coarse and the orbit infusion set , but time will tell when i have had the pump for a while if you like i will let know how i get on .

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
MATCHLESS HI
could not agree better all these pumps all bright new software but T SLIM NOT LIKEING HOW ONE to draw up insulin use a syringe but horses for couses vic

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is everyones thoughts on the Ypsomed pump, this is the one that my NHS Hospital can be provide me, or directing me to?

It will be my first ever pump so need to be sure it is right for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

I have just looked at the Ypsomed website. It looks like an excellent pump. I started on my second pump two weeks ago. The hospital I'm with did not offer Ypsomed. When I said I would like a pump that works with Dexcom G6, the only one they could offer t:slimX2 (Tandem). Although the pumps is good, I find the cannulas difficult (but someone with more nimble fingers may not). And filling the insulin reservoir is time-consuming. The Ypsomed seems to have well designed cannulas; connects with Dexcom, and it shows that several reservoirs (containers) could be pre-filled with insulin and kept in the fridge, which would be very useful when you have to insert more insulin into the pump but are short of time. Ypsomed would have been my choice, if I had been offered it.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ermintrude i shall be changing from my medtronic pump to ypsomed soon which will be my 4th pump in 12years ,the nurse came to my house and showed me the ypsomed and the tandem which i has shown interest in with my endo and chose the YPSOMED pump which is so small and light , the main reasons i chose the ypsomed is changing of the cartrage ( reservoir ) which is so easy and quick and the size and weight of coarse and the orbit infusion set , but time will tell when i have had the pump for a while if you like i will let know how i get on .
Hi Matchless,
How are you getting on with the Ypsomed pump? I am especially interested how you feel about the cannulas. From the website the cannula insertion looks simple, with the insertion device. Are the cannulas comfortable?

Julie.reid1906

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to jump into this a bit late but I’ve been on the Ypsomed for 2 and a bit years and I hate it. I chose it because it was small and light and for the orbital infusion sets. But the app is rubbish, the sets don’t stick and become blocked all the time. Oh and they disconnect a lot which means no insulin. I’m on my 4th pump due to the “electronic error” that recurs and cannot be fixed. I find it very annoying that you can’t manage the alarms on the pump too. It beeps and vibrates to tell you that it is no longer connected to your phone, which doesn’t seem to make any difference so not sure why the alarm and it also beeps and vibrates to tell you that your temp basal is finished, again not really sure why you need this as you set the time it’s on for. I have complained several times to the company and the hospital but keep being told I have to wait the 4 years to get a replacement. So frustrated

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to jump into this a bit late but I’ve been on the Ypsomed for 2 and a bit years and I hate it. I chose it because it was small and light and for the orbital infusion sets. But the app is rubbish, the sets don’t stick and become blocked all the time. Oh and they disconnect a lot which means no insulin. I’m on my 4th pump due to the “electronic error” that recurs and cannot be fixed. I find it very annoying that you can’t manage the alarms on the pump too. It beeps and vibrates to tell you that it is no longer connected to your phone, which doesn’t seem to make any difference so not sure why the alarm and it also beeps and vibrates to tell you that your temp basal is finished, again not really sure why you need this as you set the time it’s on for. I have complained several times to the company and the hospital but keep being told I have to wait the 4 years to get a replacement. So frustrated
Hi Julie,

I appreciate that you wrote about your experience with Ypsomed pump. I have been considering asking if I could swap my current pump to an Ypsomed, but seeing what you said, I shall now re-consider. I have been using a tandem t-slim X2 for a month. The pump mostly does what it is supposed to, but I find the cannulas difficult to insert because I have a problem gripping small items. I no longer use Teflon cannulas because they used to get kinked and blocked, but sometimes even the steel ones hurt when in situ.

Sometimes the Tandem disconnects itself from Dexcom, even at close proximity, which is annoying. But fortunately re-connects fairly soon after. I keep the audible alarm turned off most of the time.

I guess there is no such thing as a pump that is totally reliable, and without some annoying faults. I am hoping that within the next three months my HbA1C will improve.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the app is rubbish

So that I could try to compare these two pumps, can you tell me what is the purpose of the phone app with the Ypsomed pump? The tandem pump has operating functions in the pump, and I can see information on the pump. I download data via Glooko so that the hospital diabetes nurses see how I have been doing, and I also find it useful to see the information myself. Do you use Glooko to send data to the hospital team?

Julie.reid1906

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Ypsomed doesn’t have a function for calculating the amount of insulin required and you can only see the last dose given. You need to use the app to put your bm in and carbs for it to tell you the dose then you have to scroll to enter it on the pump. As for sending data to diabetes team, you have to produce a report on the app then email it to your team. I do like being able to see all my data clearly on the app but it’s very frustrating that it disconnects all the time and you have to force close it to get it to reconnect! I don’t use a CGM but I don’t think it can talk to any of them at the moment. Hope this help.

Dustydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I hope this helps. I have just been put on the Ypso pump following several issues on my previous pump, not Ypso I hasten to add. The pump is small and the reason I wished to be transferred to this was the fact that the bolus should be delivered remotely via the app very shortly. This has not happened as yet but fingers cross it will. However, my initial opinion of this pump is very positive. The cannulas only need changing say for 3 to 4 days which is a positive. The actual process is very easy. My only issue has been Bluetooth connectivity has been a bit hit and miss but now I understand that you need to disconnect the Bluetooth using the app as well as your own Bluetooth set up all seems to be good. I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can remote bolus using my mobile phone and the app. I hope this helps anyone considering the Ypso pump.

zepherine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I hope this helps. I have just been put on the Ypso pump following several issues on my previous pump, not Ypso I hasten to add. The pump is small and the reason I wished to be transferred to this was the fact that the bolus should be delivered remotely via the app very shortly. This has not happened as yet but fingers cross it will. However, my initial opinion of this pump is very positive. The cannulas only need changing say for 3 to 4 days which is a positive. The actual process is very easy. My only issue has been Bluetooth connectivity has been a bit hit and miss but now I understand that you need to disconnect the Bluetooth using the app as well as your own Bluetooth set up all seems to be good. I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can remote bolus using my mobile phone and the app. I hope this helps anyone considering the Ypso pump.
Hi, been a while since I posted but I have recently been changed to the Ypsomed pump as Accuchek Insight has been discontinued. Had a Zoom type meeting for training with two others so a bit time consuming but worthwhile.
I too have found the pump pretty easy to use. It’s definitely lightweight and luckily I can use the insulin pump carts I previously used in this pump so changing the cartridge is a doddle. Haven’t had any cannula issues, just make sure you click it on well. Only one occlusion but sorted when put new cannula in. We are all waiting for App update which should go live on 30th Aug so the Phone App can connect to the pump and deliver from the phone. Looking forward to that! The pump is not so sophisticated as the Insight but expect the NHS have to save money...