What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread buttered & filled with egg mayo. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner/Snack as working backshift - 1 slc roll filled with ham & coleslaw. 1 packet of chicken fridge raiders. Half of a white chocolate phd bar. Mug of earl grey. 1 can of diet cola

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A wee bit catching up to do. Thursday 7 April - I had eldest grandson to teach up until 2pm then I took him to the sports centre for him to go swimming with Mum at his regular school PE time. The teachers are back tomorrow so they can both go back to school for the final 1/2 day pre Easter break.
Bed and FBG were both 6 4

B TAG and 4 M&S Wheaten crackers with whipped cheese.
L. Nothing
D. After the run to jujitsu with eldest - 2 slices SLC bread with ox tongue and whipped cheese and 5 hot chicken wings. Coconut milk.
A coconut bar I got from SLC to try. I'll be getting more. It's like a flattened Bounty bar.

Friday bed 6.3 FBG 6 4

Up for the school run.

B. TAG and 2 M&S Wheaten crackers and whipped cheese.

L after collecting boys and taking them home. 2 slices of SLC bread with ox tongue and whipped cheese.

D. Chicken tikka with saag paneer. Coconut milk and a few cherries.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at that price! I'll stick to 4 or 5 bars of Lidl instead

It is expensive, I’m more worried that it’ll trigger sweetness cravings. I used to love milk chocolate, but now I can quite happily eat the bitter 100% stuff It’s probably a bit of a risk to try milk chocolate again. Nevertheless I have impulsively ordered a bar. I will report back.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nevertheless I have impulsively ordered a bar. I will report back.
Thank you for taking one for the team ;)
On the odd occasion I try ordinary milk chocolate I find I don't like it any more, well most brands anyway. Tastes oily somehow

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Two cold hard boiled eggs with a good sprinkle of chicken salt for smoko.
Seafood basket with the usual assortment of goodness, chips for lunch at the Brothers Sports club.
Small cottage pie from the pie shop, lemon jelly osmolax mix for supper at six.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal ( incredible comeback from those crisps by the way, did you feel ok at that level?)
Strangely no - have caught similar numbers before and been ok (apart from extreme hunger) but a couple of times in recent weeks I’ve had v low numbers and felt ‘off’. There’s definitely something going on with my BG levels, even when firmly on the straight and narrow.

@DJC3 I tried the Scoundrel (by Paleo Canteen) milk chocolate - similar concept to DGF choc - and really didn’t like it. So much so that most of it went in the bin! V unusual for me and chocolate.

Yesterday I had the remains of my pot of Fage 0%, 2 cold sausages and some cold chicken wings for lunch at work.
Dinner was air fried pork belly pieces.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone behind again. A warm welcome back to @DJC3 and as always your food sounds delish. I’m not sure I would like milk chocolate anymore tbh. Re DGF I am a convert BUT agree with @Mrs T 123 about cost and my absolute bugbear is that a box of same cake (unlike the mixed box) has to be rewrapped in twos by me to put in freezer. I asked them if they could start doing that and they said they couldn’t be ause they were such a small outfit with only a few staff members. Right back to thread!
Yesterday usual brekkie of slice HiLo toast, good butter, lots of tea.
Lunch was carton Covent Garden Veg soup because needed comfort food and it was the worst of all evils available! Supper was two Green Cuisine plant burgers and two large Portobello mushrooms on top. A couple of gin & sodas.
Today just had same brekkie.
Lunch will be two hardboiled eggs, mayo and salad.
Supper will be chicken, chorizo, red pepper stir fry smoked paprika and cauli rice.
Looking forward to Good Friday and meeting of the clan and will be cooking up a storm hopefully.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How are the homemade probiotic yoghurts working out? Have you noticed any obvious beneficial effects? Quite hard to quantify I expect, especially with a lot of stress going on in your daily life at present.
I only let myself buy the packs of 3 HC batons for exactly the reason you describe. May not be cost effective but it saves me from myself!
On the subject of chocolate has anyone tried the DGF milk chocolate?
Hiya generally my homemade probiotic yoghurts are working really well and love the flavour. Although had a masive fail using a new recipe (US) to make some using Yakult - I followed all instructions but did not work out Im not sure bacterial were that live !
I keep making the L Reuteri yoghurt using bio gastrus as my starter and love the flavour of that one but also making different bio yoghurts using some starter culture of different strains from a company
www.yoghurtathome.com
or via amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yogurt-Starter-Cultures-Freeze-Dried-Culture/dp/B011050G20/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?adgrpid=52121766894&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtSSBhDYARIsAEn0thRUbZCY3ysU6yzELj-EimVNho6SPiEaDcSwnb3AeRBZGxlrbAKGbxUaAgMAEALw_wcB&hvadid=259035388491&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9041129&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4551012487677486884&hvtargid=kwd-297662318298&hydadcr=18484_1754399&keywords=yogurt+culture+starter&qid=1649759142&sr=8-3-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQ0RNWVlZODROQ0VZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzQyMDI0RVhaWUdMT1NZUzUxJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NzM5ODMxQVJQU1lUVUIySzM2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
their mixed bio culture bifido and their mix of L Gasseri and LRhamnosus I have used very succesfully and always seem to work plus re-ferment about 5 times so quite cost effective vs the L Reuteri. They need to be kept in fridge but good long dates on ones I had as ordered a mix to try.
Not tried DGF chocolate yet so will be interested. I did try to order some for OH for Easter as he likes the sweeter stuff but had a bit of an order mix up so not sure if it will arrive with the cakes I ordered!! If it does I will try a small piece for Easter but will stick as much to 100% as poss as even 90 and 85 chocolate is a bit tempting when going through higher stress levels than normal
So far this am had a few spoons of my HM yoghurt - @DJC3 you asked about benefits and yes it has helped my gut plus it does help to keep hunger pangs at bay!
plan for lunch is a couple of hard boiled eggs with a SLC roll followed by some hm yoghurt
Dinner will be mediterranean marinated chicken - its marinading in olive oil, rosemary basil and lemon at the moment - served with some salads.
as for any chocolate consumption well I am well aware of the prescence of a few 85% choc batons in the cupboard so who knows !!

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: low carb granola, one slice low carb bread, mocha
protein bar
Lunch: chacuterie platter with friends
Dinner: olinas seedy crackers, cream cheese, berries and a small eclair!
Montezumas dark ginger chocolate

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Em's experimental NOT sushi for breakfast. We couldn't get seaweed to wrap them in and I'd forgotten to do the cauliflower rice (Em doesn't like rice rice so was happy to try the cauli variety). So, basically we had chunks of cucumber wrapped in Parma ham, topped with Philadelphia cheese and then rewrapped in smoked salmon. Em was very happy with the result and scoffed more than half of the bites. I had enough of them to satisfy my hunger. Forgot to take insulin, but I'll leave it and see how it goes since the carb level was minute.

There will be a second meal today. It will be stuffed cabbage leaves (stuffed with anything I can find in the fridge) and braised in chicken stock. Might have a slice of bread with it. That should still stay below my carb limit.

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(April 11th)

Breakfast (9am): Black coffee
Snack (10:30am): None
Lunch (12pm): Homemade instant pot chicken soup (minimal potatoes)
Snack (7pm): Small serving of peanuts at the rink watching my daughter skate
Dinner (9pm): Sliced pork belly with small amount of potatoes
Evening Snack (10pm): Two low carb beers

Walked 4.83km to bring my YTD total to 458.95km.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely no - have caught similar numbers before and been ok (apart from extreme hunger) but a couple of times in recent weeks I’ve had v low numbers and felt ‘off’. There’s definitely something going on with my BG levels, even when firmly on the straight and narrow.

@DJC3 I tried the Scoundrel (by Paleo Canteen) milk chocolate - similar concept to DGF choc - and really didn’t like it. So much so that most of it went in the bin! V unusual for me and chocolate.

Yesterday I had the remains of my pot of Fage 0%, 2 cold sausages and some cold chicken wings for lunch at work.
Dinner was air fried pork belly pieces.

Do you think it might be to do with the speed of the fall? I’ve felt ‘off’ sometimes even when BG is pretty normal but has dropped after a high carb food which has spiked me, if BG falls quickly to whatever level it seems to make me feel weird.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the yoghurt feedback @shelley262 I’m hoping to experiment a bit more when things calm down a bit here, I’m really glad to hear it’s helping your gut health.
Thanks for the welcome too @PenguinMum I’m looking forward to reading about your Good Friday menu. How did the plant burgers affect your BG?

Todays food:
B on the go - cold sliced beef spread with mustard and rolled up with Emmental slices.
L: M&S Honduras prawns and a Waitrose crab pot with M&S seedy crackers followed by …… 2 squares DGF milk chocolate ( review at the end)
D: h/m cheeseburger, mushrooms, celeriac chips and salad. Couple of glasses of wine.

DGF milk chocolate- way too expensive, as others have said. It’s only 100g bar which isn’t v big. Looked and smelled nice and wasn’t actually overly sweet but texture was a bit grainy. It reminded me of the old cooking chocolate (Kake Brand I think) The aftertaste was great though and this is the worrying thing - I could have eaten the whole bar quite easily. I broke the rest into 2 square portions and put in the freezer. I won’t buy it again, wasn’t worth it in my opinion.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted & filled with cheese & ham. 2 squares 90% Lindtt. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - 5 chicken strips drizzled with piri piri sauce with Side salad which included cheese & coleslaw. 1 dgf notella brownie heated up in microwave with kefir over the top

I have just had a handful of mixed nuts & a glass of pepsi maxi and I now fancy some cheese ... I blame the weather it's dark and miserable outside :hungry:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 scrambled eggs with pecorino.. coffee with cream. Trouble was I'd woken early and eaten early
Had drive to visit a relative and was hungry all the way.
Luckily relative has finally understood low carb ( last time was fish and chips and ice cream) and did cold meats, eggs, cheese and salad and had even found m&s seedy crackers for me. She's type 2 too and ate the bread she'd provided... but at least it's a start. Lovely berries and yoghurt for pud, first British strawberries from m&s actually had some flavour.
I'd taken a hm lc brownie bake which was rich, and as it was left on the table I think I had 3 small pieces.
I small glass red.
D: salmon with carrots, Brussels and hm tzatsiki. Still hungry so 2 sqs hm lc cinnamon cake.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
this is the worrying thing - I could have eaten the whole bar quite easily.
Yes I think there are certain sweetners or other ingredients that trigger that "feed me " response. I just can't work out which, or whether it's a combination. But they certainly spark a binge type response.
Funnily enough i don't seem to get from things made from ordinary sugar and can eat small amounts without wanting more. Don't like to test the theory too often though.

What's the nutrition and ingredients info on that chocolate please @DJC3

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi any one know a low carb wine please red or white I’m getting sick of vodka it’s to strong I do like a drink on a weekend Lmao