Covid high blood sugar

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

I'm type 2. I put it into remission. Then I got pregnant and got gestational diabetes.

My blood sugar and diet had been **** for the whole year post partum.

I now have covid and my sugars are higher but I eat carbs. It was almost 15 last night and I'm not eating full meals. Or much snacks.

Will low carb be the way to go here ?

I'm obviously very

This happen to anyone else? I'm not on meds I was doing it by diet until the past year I messed up...

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That was meant to be I'm obviously very concerned . Just so very fed up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I'm type 2. I put it into remission. Then I got pregnant and got gestational diabetes.

I now have covid and my sugars are higher but I eat carbs. It was almost 15 last night and I'm not eating full meals. Or much snacks.

I'm obviously very

This happen to anyone else? I'm not on meds I was doing it by diet until the past year I messed up...

If you’re not on meds I don’t see any downside in going low carb. Best case scenario you turn things around, worst case you identify that the rise in blood sugars may have causes other than what you’re eating. In your shoes I’d go as low as I felt I could sustain and see where that goes over say a couple of months and then reassess.

Reactions: ziggy_w and coleyd

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @coleyd I would be surprised if having Covid was not raising your BG (that's assuming you have symptoms), because there are about 40 tings apart from food which cab raise BG (at least temporarily).
These include:
Illness or injury
Stress
Lack of sleep
Medications including Statins and Steroids.

Test how much your meals are spiking your BG, then you will know how much of it is food related. A BG spike of over a 2.0 2hrs after first bite means that the food you ate is raising your BG more than would be good.
Why are you not eating full meals? Low carb is usually enough to lose weight on its own (without reducing calories). And you shouldn't deliberately cut calories while you have an infection because you need energy for your immune system to fight the infection.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Yep covid pushed my sugars up a little too but I didn't have many 'serious' symptoms, then again any kind of illness has the potential to push sugars up.

I was on Keto during and before covid, so less than 20g of carbs per day. Covid lasted a week - I had the cough, on and off fever, and loss of taste/smell. Cough lingered for a week after, smell and taste not fully returned as of 3 months.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
After being hospitalised with covid a month or two ago my blood sugars have tended to be very erratic going very high and dropping low at times and I am finding it very hard to gain control.

I have read that the virus can infect pancreatic cells and change their function and this is thought to be one reason why some people are becoming diabetic after having had covid19 so I think maybe if the virus has messed up your pancreas why blood sugars may be affected I'm hoping temporarily.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all mess up at sometime or another and fall off the wagon. Just get back on again and stop beating yourself up. Look for ways you can self care and self soothe that don't involve carbs and you'll soon be back in the swing of it. Covids a pain too, so just look after yourself while you recover

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everyone. I'm still struggling to get the thick phlegm up. Been low carbing since yesterday.

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After being hospitalised with covid a month or two ago my blood sugars have tended to be very erratic going very high and dropping low at times and I am finding it very hard to gain control.

I have read that the virus can infect pancreatic cells and change their function and this is thought to be one reason why some people are becoming diabetic after having had covid19 so I think maybe if the virus has messed up your pancreas why blood sugars may be affected I'm hoping temporarily.
I had Covid end of December into the middle of January, I was still not feeling great for another month after that and now I'm still tired a lot more than I would expect to be and my bloods have been more erratic than I remember them being before, I thought maybe it was the fact I was no longer on slow release metformin but maybe it's more to do with having had covid.

I've also noticed my period has been all over the place (not an issue for you I guess), I was sort of used to that with my PCOS but metformin and diet aren't seeming to help stabilise it at all anymore. I'm hoping it sorts itself out eventually.

Thank you everyone. I'm still struggling to get the thick phlegm up. Been low carbing since yesterday.

The phlegm thing is awful, I am highly prone to chest and lung infections so I used the things I did for that to try and help shift it. If you're still experiencing problems with phlegm I googled it and this is probably the best link I can find to explain the sort of things I do to help shift stuff in my lungs. If you're finding it's stuck in the back of your throat gargling with salt water often helps clear that but that feeling of gunk at the back of my throat was just something I had for at least a week with covid. Hope this helps: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/symptoms/clearing-lungs/

Pammypants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cold
Hello

I'm obviously very

My blood sugars got very messed up after Covid and other infection. It took weeks to sort out but low card definitely helps. Just listening to a book called glucose revolution it suggests that the order we eat is important and it has impact on our sugar levels. It fibre, protein and then carbs I am going to try it. Good luck

Reactions: the-mental-one