Discussion Not completely diabetic related

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My whiskers are twitching on this one. I recollect that Columbia Uni made its catering services go fully vegan in the last couple of years. Boston and Harvard have been associated strongly with the WFPB movement and has publishd some very biased reports. Several others of the Co author list are also possibly speaking with a similar agenda. The report feels like it has a bias or leaning and should be read twith this possibility in mind.

Note that they started with seniors and veterans, so most of the CVD damage will have already started before the study enrolled since atheroschlerotic damage is accrued over long term. Since the cereals they are talking about are general commercial products, most modern cereal foods eaten in SAD tend to be highly processed and sugar coated, and thus sadly lacking in fibre content, so maybe it is the lack of fibre that is the benign aspect and true outcome. The study did not precribe or measure fibre content, merely used food questionaires, so not really scientific. I know one study Harvard once did was to send the food questionaires to Jehovah witness congregations during Lent, and that study also concluded that cereals were the healthiest foods since most were eating unleavened bread and fasting at the time.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know one study Harvard once did was to send the food questionaires to Jehovah witness congregations during Lent,
I dont think it was Jehovahs Witnesses, they dont do Lent, unleavened bread or fasting

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont think it was Jehovahs Witnesses, they dont do Lent, unleavened bread or fasting
Yup. I am wrong, I know it was a religious group they used. The study itself was withdrawn by Harvard and is no longer accessible for review. The professor behind it was removed from post.

Edit. It was not a Christian church so Lent is wrong but it was a community that observed extended fasting. The Passover rituals come to mind.

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could it be Seventh Day Adventists? They tend to be big on pushing cereals, wholefoods and veganism- a lot of the big name American vegan proselytizers are linked to the Seventh Day Adventists.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yup. I am wrong, I know it was a religious group they used. The study itself was withdrawn by Harvard and is no longer accessible for review. The professor behind it was removed from post.

Edit. It was not a Christian church so Lent is wrong but it was a community that observed extended fasting. The Passover rituals come to mind.

Jews dont fast during passover, rather the opposite. Muslims fast during the day from sun rise to sunset for a month during Ramadan

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jews dont fast during passover, rather the opposite. Muslims fast during the day from sun rise to sunset for a month during Ramadan
From what I remember the study was designed and executed by the church itself, and was used to prove scientifically that clean living members lived longer and healthier lives than their meat eating alcohol ridden neighbours. The timoing of the data collection was crucial so that church members were observing strict diet mores par extreme, so it was considered to be biassed and thus expunged. The WFPB movement used this study as their scientific proof for a while, but now use the ADVENT 2 study instead. That study was funded and performed by the 7th Day Adventists hence its name. I only mentioned this problem as showing how easily bias can affect a science experiment, but it is not really important who did it - the offending professor left under a cloak of disrespect and his / her work was expunged from the record, according to Harvard correspondence at the time.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to be the same basic study I know as ADVENT 2, but the paper I read was published earlier, and was produced by Harvard Chan school not Loma Linda uni. The actual study date was early 2000;s and this seems to be 2013/2014 so is a rewrite of the original data by someone else. Suggests that the funding by the Cancer people is funding a different slant on the data. It seems only one author was funded by the Cancer Institute, and the main author was funded by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA). The main author also received funding from the Adventists for related activities.

There has been a cleanup since the paper I saw, which was referenced by others such as EAT Lancet and Neal Barnard among others is no longer showing up in the Archives. It seems to have been cancelled. My bookmark link to the Harvard Archive no longer works.

The conclusions are much the same though. Suggests the statistical analysis was reworked on the original data. Where they reference the data they refer to it as "retrieved"

Reactions: OrsonKartt