Driving abroad

andyl1984uk

Evening all, when driving in the UK, the libre sensor is allowed by DVLA. Does anyone know the rules for driving abroad?

Planning holiday abroad in Europe and curious about whether there are any rules when away?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all, when driving in the UK, the libre sensor is allowed by DVLA. Does anyone know the rules for driving abroad?

Planning holiday abroad in Europe and curious about whether there are any rules when away?

Blimey, 3 years since I ventured as a driver into the EU.

where are you planning on going? I always started with France on the tunnel or Holland via boat?
I got stopped in Holland with an expired licence once? (The new one was at home still in the envelope.) to quote one cop studying my expired licence. “enjoy your travel…”

I’ll tag in @Antje77 who uses a libre.. personally, I just stuck with what the DVLA suggested regarding testing? Which pretty much aligned with the EU at the time..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the Netherlands no need to worry about anything!
We don't have legal requirements on blood glucose for driving like the UK has so going by your Libre is fine!

andyl1984uk

Blimey, 3 years since I ventured as a driver into the EU.

where are you planning on going? I always started with France on the tunnel or Holland via boat?
I got stopped in Holland with an expired licence once? (The new one was at home still in the envelope.) to quote one cop studying my expired licence. “enjoy your travel…”

I’ll tag in @Antje77 who uses a libre.. personally, I just stuck with what the DVLA suggested regarding testing? Which pretty much aligned with the EU at the time..
Thanks for the reply.
We were thinking of Portugal (flying and hiring a car), but other EU countries would be interesting to know about too - particularly France, Italy and Spain.

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply.
We were thinking of Portugal (flying and hiring a car), but other EU countries would be interesting to know about too - particularly France, Italy and Spain.

To be honest, in France I carried high viz for all passengers, spare corrective vision, & bulbs. Then there was the breathalysers?
Done Poland. Just needed to keep my lights on. Then there was Germany, Austria & north Italy… Done Switzerland too. Don’t forget to buy a “vignette.” (Sort of pay as you go road tax?)

lol, some of this, once touring with a Metal band driving..? Some crazy mileage in my old van.

Hasten to add, lost touch with what’s happened since the B word…