Bolus Wizard Medtronic 780G 3

JJCNsnr

Can anyone explain why the bolus wizard gives me a straight carbs X carb ratio for 30 g CHO, but makes a downward "correction " of half a unit for 35 grams ? I am new to this closed loop stuff and it's driving me nuts!. Using the smart guard feature means ì have to just accept the calculations and run high for hours.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bolus wizards should take into consideration your current level and incorporate a correction factor (which, may be negative if you are below your target level) unless you have bolus onboard as it does not know the digestion rate of the carbs you last boluses for.

JJCNsnr

Thanks for that, but I suspect there is more to it. What you say is true, and would apply equally to a bolus for 30 g of CHO and one for 35g, surely?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that, but I suspect there is more to it. What you say is true, and would apply equally to a bolus for 30 g of CHO and one for 35g, surely?
Yes but are both scenarios identical (apart from the amount of carbs) or was your starting level different or was the time since last bolus different?

JJCNsnr

Yes but are both scenarios identical (apart from the amount of carbs) or was your starting level different or was the time since last bolus different?
What was actually happening is that I enter the carbs by scrolling up from zero. As I go , I can see the proposed bolus (and any proposed adjustment) increasing. At 30 g there is no proposed downward adjustment, but at 35, there is. So it's exactly the same scenario, but with different input parameters.

JJCNsnr

Update: it has stopped doing that now, and as a consequence my control is much tighter. I suspect that the artificial intelligence was just learning, by testing the accuracy of the carb ratio I had provided.