depression after amputated

sarah1994312

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello. My grandfather recently had his big toe amputated!
Does anyone have experience after amputation? Does it cause depression?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. My grandfather recently had his big toe amputated!
Does anyone have experience after amputation? Does it cause depression?
I'm sorry your grandfather lost his toe, I hope he's recovering well!

Like all health issues, of course this can cause depression, but that doesn't mean it will for everybody.
Tagging @Ushthetaff for you, who usually sounds pretty happy and optimistic, and he has had an amputation.

Reactions: EllieM

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Firstly sorry to hear about your grandfather, I lost my right leg below the knee, from a personal point of view I was quite non plus about it , however this is definitely an individual thing . I will say that losing my leg has made me more determined to get my blood sugars in check , losing a toe can be individually traumatic but it won’t stop your granddad doing anything , a neighbour of mine has recently had his big toe removed , he’s walking fine after about 2 weeks , there is a myth that if you lose a big toe it affects your balance, not true in my experience . the best thing you can do is be there for him for help and support as that definitely helps from a confidence point of view and that at the end of the day is the best thing to aid any depression that might exist .

Reactions: MrsA2

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sarah1994312 and welcome

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. As to whether it will cause depression it may but also may not. My father had his arm amputated in an accident as a young man and although he suffered a great deal of pain as a result of the nerves knotting up it never prevented him doing anything. However, as people have said it is very much an individual thing.

I hope he recovers well.

Reactions: Antje77