Type 1 Diabetic moms

Shania293

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to manage my diabetes efficiently along with mom life. Im a type 1 diabetic but since becoming a mom i just find it so overwhelming and its crucial i do keep on top of it so i can be well enough to look after my baby.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to manage my diabetes efficiently along with mom life. Im a type 1 diabetic but since becoming a mom i just find it so overwhelming and its crucial i do keep on top of it so i can be well enough to look after my baby.
Hi I have only been type 1 for 4 years and my children are teenagers. I think many new mum’s find it difficult to get back into a routine after having a baby, it can be very overwhelming at times, I remember struggling to get out the house by the middle of the afternoon some days! I can’t imagine how much more difficult managing type 1 would be with a baby however you do need to prioritise your health as you have a lovely baby you need to look after. Why not put reminders on your phone for injections etc and just take a few minutes to prioritise your health when you need to. Do you have family nearby who could pop over every so often and take the baby for a walk? Or I used to find if I took my baby for a walk in the pushchair they would continue to sleep in the pushchair in my hall for a good 30-60 mins after I got back, as they were both terrible at sleeping in the night this was a valuable hour for me. It does get easier and very much more enjoyable.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for the tag @Hertfordshiremum and welcome to the forums @Shania293 .

Any advice I give is a little out of date (my kids are 26 and 30) but my suggestion would be to try to be kind to yourself. T1 pregnancies are hard work in terms of diabetic control, and you can probably be more relaxed about your control and concentrate on your mental health once you aren't injecting for two.

I'm guessing that you had a cgm (libre) for the pregnancy and hopefully still have it now. Most people fund a new baby exhausting (I certainly did) and lack of sleep is really really stressful. Take any practical help you can get in terms of cooking/cleaning etc from friends/family/partner. Don't be afraid to tell your health visitor and/or diabetic team that you are finding things difficult.

Are you MDI or pump Shania? Is there anything in particular you are feeling difficult? How old is your little one?

Oh, and congratulations on your new family member.

Lots of virtual hugs if you are finding new parenthood hard. There are a lot of adjustments to be made and diabetes is just the icing on the cake of hormones, changing body, and a fundamental change in your life in the form of a new little person.