Glucose meter thinks its a Swiss Army Knife

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Expensive for all strips, especially the packs of ten!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Expensive for all strips, especially the packs of ten!
The company say they supply the NHS, but their consumables exceed the CCG limit of £10 per 50 glucose test strips. (ex VAT)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
All the strips seem to be £30 a pack (or 25 ex vat), which is pricey for 50 bg strips and mouth wateringly so for 10 ketone strips (maybe twice the price of other cheaper brands?)

Not sure if a diabetic could claim vat back on the cholesterol strips???

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The company say they supply the NHS, but their consumables exceed the CCG limit of £10 per 50 glucose test strips. (ex VAT)
Are the nhs prices the same as they are to the public? Can we access the prices the nhs pay and know what our ccg limits are?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are the nhs prices the same as they are to the public? Can we access the prices the nhs pay and know what our ccg limits are?

I have my doubts that the cholesterol measuring strips would be funded by any country's public health supplier, though am slightly tempted to buy some for myself... (assuming they are available on amazon US)

But I do wonder just how accurate such strips are?

Any (rich) UK guinea pigs willing to try them out and report?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my doubts that the cholesterol measuring strips would be funded by any country's public health supplier, though am slightly tempted to buy some for myself... (assuming they are available on amazon US)

But I do wonder just how accurate such strips are?

Any (rich) UK guinea pigs willing to try them out and report?
Sorry. Got 500 Navii strips in the post as I speak. Cleared me out this month. anyway, how would one know if the result was accurate? Presume would need the 14 hr fast beforehand? But accuracy compared to what? Would require a lab assay to be performed at the same time, and I only get one of those a year. And it is only TC, which is as useful as a fart in a space suit.

Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the strips seem to be £30 a pack (or 25 ex vat), which is pricey for 50 bg strips and mouth wateringly so for 10 ketone strips (maybe twice the price of other cheaper brands?)

Not sure if a diabetic could claim vat back on the cholesterol strips???
OTC prices at a pharmacy for my Contour Next strips are $65.00 for 100 (2x50) strips, so someone is making a rip off profit in the UK.