Is there any way to reduce the diarrhoea?

Teasel Too

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I'm on SR extended release but am still getting painful diarrhoea fairly often. I wondered if there's anything I can do to combat it?
Thanks

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I'm on SR extended release but am still getting painful diarrhoea fairly often. I wondered if there's anything I can do to combat it?
Thanks
Have you spoken to your medical team?

How long have you been on Metformin SR?

For some people it takes a bit of time but unfortunately it doesn’t always become tolerable and if that is the case then you shouldn’t suffer, speak to your team and tell them. There are alternative medications

but I have read some recommend taking a probiotic can help.

Also there are options to change your diet to help. Depending on your situation it might be possible to adjust to reduce the need for meds or not need. Low carb has worked well for many of the forums, and might be worth you looking at.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
Same as many of the others.... I quit the stuff and went low carb. It was more effective than the pills ever were, and didn't go along with painful, bloody stool. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help you get started. If it's been longer than 2 weeks, it's not going to go away, most likely, so... It may be time to consider other options.

Lakeslover

A reduced dose might help. I can’t tolerate 2000mg a day but 1000mg is ok. I agree discuss with your medical team.

D

Deleted member 543160

I was lucky in that apart from one brand of metformin disagreeing with me in general, I only ever had issues with diarrhoea a couple of times early on when I accidentally ate more carbs than I'd intended. Bui It's my low carb diet that has always done the most to control my glucose levels and I believe my results would have been the same without metformin.

Quote from Blood Sugar 101 re metformin:
The most common side effects of Metformin are nausea, diarrhea, heartburn and gas. That's why it's been nicknamed "metfartin" by people who post on Web bulletin boards. These unpleasant digestive system symptoms often go away after a few weeks, but not always. Some people are unable to take Metformin because of the persistence of these symptoms.

The extended release form of metformin (metformin ER) often relieves gastric symptoms. Many of us find that taking metformin ER in the early afternoon after we have eaten several meals may eliminate heartburn or the stomach irritation that occurs when it is taken on a relatively empty stomach.

If your problem is gas or diarrhea, try eating less starch. These symptoms are caused by undigested starches reaching the gut where they are fermented by helpful bacteria.

However no-one should have to endure these side effects long term, and if swapping to the slow release version, taking with meals, and/or cutting down on (more) carbs doesn't help, then you should definitely discuss alternative options with your diabetic support GP or DN.

Reactions: Iswole and Debmcgee

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
I have been having same problems nurse and Dr told me to perservere with them that was 4 years ago and they still won't change them

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been having same problems nurse and Dr told me to perservere with them that was 4 years ago and they still won't change them
You must have the forbearance of a saint.
Once I binned the tablets I could go out for walks and indulge in various activities I did not dare attempt during the Metformin weeks. I went swimming and walking and then took up with some morris dancers and did Maypole, longsword and other such things - far better for me than having to stick close to the toilet all day.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@snookie09, It's a simple matter of not taking them, as your GP / nurse cannot force you to take them if they are still giving you problems after four years.

Patient have certain rights in Australia, here's a couple of pages from it I have used several of these in management of my health.

Edit: Added two pix.

qnlHCVB.jpg

GL866Lf.jpg

Last edited:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those rights would be very useful when dealing with the NHS.

Snookie, you are a saint. Sounds like you need to drive the changes for better quality of care.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those rights would be very useful when dealing with the NHS.
You can also ask for an interpreter to understand the sub continent doctors in hospitals as well, which I have used with success.

I will try and find the patients rights and post a pix of that, basically the same as above though.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks
Try taking probiotics. Worked for my brother. Worked for me. Good luck.
PS I took multibionta.

James.Kapherr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is so me at the moment. 4th week of Metformin (2x500mg twice a day) and the stomach pains and diarrhea is unbearable.

I went from going to the loo twice a day with "healthy" stools to going once every 3 days, constipation followed by stomach pains and then for an hour or so constant diarrhea.
Then 3 days of no bowel movements then it repeats.

I've not spoken to my doctor yet.

I don't like taking pills and changed my diet from

- no cakes, biscuits, sweets any more
- no sugar in coffee
- only drink water so no fizzy drinks
- count calories and measure everything
- cut carbs to 130g a day
- no white bread, pasta etc
- joined a gym
- eating between 1200-1600 calories a day

I'd prefer not to take pills, but the doctor was insistent. My reading when I was diagnosed was 52.

I'm currently on holiday and the pills are making it hard for me to enjoy being out.

If I stop now, how long does it take for my pains and diarrhea to stop?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is so me at the moment. 4th week of Metformin (2x500mg twice a day) and the stomach pains and diarrhea is unbearable.

I went from going to the loo twice a day with "healthy" stools to going once every 3 days, constipation followed by stomach pains and then for an hour or so constant diarrhea.
Then 3 days of no bowel movements then it repeats.

I've not spoken to my doctor yet.

I don't like taking pills and changed my diet from

- no cakes, biscuits, sweets any more
- no sugar in coffee
- only drink water so no fizzy drinks
- count calories and measure everything
- cut carbs to 130g a day
- no white bread, pasta etc
- joined a gym
- eating between 1200-1600 calories a day

I'd prefer not to take pills, but the doctor was insistent. My reading when I was diagnosed was 52.

I'm currently on holiday and the pills are making it hard for me to enjoy being out.

If I stop now, how long does it take for my pains and diarrhea to stop?
Just because your doctor insists doesn’t mean you must do it. The low carb / dietary changes / exercise could be helping more than the metformin but speaking to your doctor and hopefully getting a repeat hba1c may help you see if that is the case

those side effects are not good, slow release can mitigate those effects for some. For others they just can’t tolerate metformin. There are alternatives but please speak to your doctor and tell them what’s happening. Suffering isn’t good

Reactions: James.Kapherr