What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am doing the 'I am wide awake in the middle of the night' thing.

So decided to work on this Kaleidoscope hoping I will start yawning and feel sleepy in a minute...

I took the photo yesterday teatime with Laboscope. But it was so windy, there was nothing still in the garden. This is of the crab apple blossom which is a vibrant colour. But the wind caused blur...I might try it again today. All the fruit tree blossom looks amazing at the moment, and always each year the high winds come along at fruit blossom time!

Mr Magpie is upset and disturbed I have made the cat food bowls so it is difficult for him to access safely. By mid afternoon, I felt sorry for him, so me and him came to a compromise. I researched what Mr Magpie and his babies could eat safely. I was a little worried that by denying him food, he might decide the sparrow and their eggs and young were food. Because that happened some years ago in my garden. And his nest is not far, just a minute or so as the crow flies...

I placed a feeding bowl especially for Mr Magpie on a garden table for him, after first protecting my blueberry bush, which apparently magpies like. And put out some scraps/bits from my kitchen that is safe good food for him and his babies.

The food for Mr Magpie all went. By cat diner lock up time, it had all gone.

I always have seagulls circling overhead, but they have never come in for food yet, so we'll have to keep an eye on that. But my garden is too overgrown for them to land easily. Seagulls sound like a cat screeching in pain to me.

So, I am sill not sleepy. What shall I do next? It is 2 am...

image.jpeg

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am doing the 'I am wide awake in the middle of the night' thing.

So decided to work on this Kaleidoscope hoping I will start yawning and feel sleepy in a minute...

I took the photo yesterday teatime with Laboscope. But it was so windy, there was nothing still in the garden. This is of the crab apple blossom which is a vibrant colour. But the wind caused blur...I might try it again today. All the fruit tree blossom looks amazing at the moment, and always each year the high winds come along at fruit blossom time!

Mr Magpie is upset and disturbed I have made the cat food bowls so it is difficult for him to access safely. By mid afternoon, I felt sorry for him, so me and him came to a compromise. I researched what Mr Magpie and his babies could eat safely. I was a little worried that by denying him food, he might decide the sparrow and their eggs and young were food. Because that happened some years ago in my garden. And his nest is not far, just a minute or so as the crow flies...

I placed a feeding bowl especially for Mr Magpie on a garden table for him, after first protecting my blueberry bush, which apparently magpies like. And put out some scraps/bits from my kitchen that is safe good food for him and his babies.

The food for Mr Magpie all went. By cat diner lock up time, it had all gone.

I always have seagulls circling overhead, but they have never come in for food yet, so we'll have to keep an eye on that. But my garden is too overgrown for them to land easily. Seagulls sound like a cat screeching in pain to me.

So, I am sill not sleepy. What shall I do next? It is 2 am...

View attachment 54302
Hope you manage to get some sleep but another smashing set of colours in this kaleidoscope

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from what looks likely to be another splendid day here in the not so dark and dangerous north.
Popped into Betty’s Tearoom for some flash koffy and a carefully made bun and then a walk round the town before heading back to our hotel. Everyone who said that they were coming to the reunion dinner turned up and a great time was had by all, leaning on sandbags and catching up over a 50 year gap. Someone produced an A3 photo of our graduation - smashing.
Back home today after breakfast and then dropping a blind pal at the railway station.
Art bit - a bloke pondering about nothing in particular. Have a great day if you can. Time for koffy.

upload_2022-4-24_8-21-46.jpeg

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those who survived the talk of trench foot, parade ground madonnas and playing cricket with handgrenades and rifle butts.
Blood sugars this morning were 5.5,
Well fellow posters and painters here in Tilehurst Towers we survived 2 days of 2 of the 3 grandchildren, but I am certain we were in bed before the grandchildren last night, there is reason why youngsters have children and old fogeys pat them on the head and send them home.
Well it’s time to repeat the mantra stay safe all.

Reactions: dogslife

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
placed a feeding bowl especially for Mr Magpie on a garden table for him, after first protecting my blueberry bush, which apparently magpies like. And put out some scraps/bits from my kitchen that is safe good food for him and his babies.
Great that you researched the perfect food for Mr Magpie @gennepher. I am sure he really appreciated his special food.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 this morning. Today will be a relaxing, reading and getting ready for work day.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from what looks likely to be another splendid day here in the not so dark and dangerous north.
Popped into Betty’s Tearoom for some flash koffy and a carefully made bun and then a walk round the town before heading back to our hotel. Everyone who said that they were coming to the reunion dinner turned up and a great time was had by all, leaning on sandbags and catching up over a 50 year gap. Someone produced an A3 photo of our graduation - smashing.
Back home today after breakfast and then dropping a blind pal at the railway station.
Art bit - a bloke pondering about nothing in particular. Have a great day if you can. Time for koffy.

View attachment 54303
Sounds a good time @dunelm
Art bit - a great day to ponder...

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning. A sunny start to the day.:happy: My fbs at 7am was 15.3--- wrong direction!:arghh: Usual diet, no snacks and some exercise via walking and gardening yesterday so reckon it may be the statins. May message the doctors tomorrow and request I finish this trial of them 3 weeks early. I have a history of intolerance to all statins but as my cholesterol was raised I was persuaded to trial Rosuvastatin at the rate of 1/ week for a month then increase to 2/week for the next 3 months before repeating a fasting cholesterol test. The problem is my last HbA1c was 64mm in December and as my fasting blood sugars keep rising my next test will be even higher. When I first started on a low carb way of eating my Gliclizide had to be reduced as I was having hypos but for some reason my blood sugars have been on the increase for some time despite no obvious changes to lifestyle- but not as high as recently! Maybe it is happening because it is 17 years since diagnosis? Sorry to go on so much. Just trying to make sense of the situation. Have a pleasant Sunday whatever you are doing or wherever you are going. Best wishes. :)-

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great that you researched the perfect food for Mr Magpie @gennepher. I am sure he really appreciated his special food.
Thanks @Krystyna23040

Mr Magpie was getting too upset and very agitated when he couldn't access the stray cat food. I realised there might be severe trouble on the horizon with him needing to feed his little ones, and needing any food. My cat diner does not include live sparrows. All different species, cats and birds are living in harmony here, and literally take turns within seconds of each other from the same cat food bowls. Mr Magpie today is much happier in himself. He has a calm demeanour now. He has all the food he needs, every time he is coming in. He does appear to appreciate it very much.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning. A sunny start to the day.:happy: My fbs at 7am was 15.3--- wrong direction!:arghh: Usual diet, no snacks and some exercise via walking and gardening yesterday so reckon it may be the statins. May message the doctors tomorrow and request I finish this trial of them 3 weeks early. I have a history of intolerance to all statins but as my cholesterol was raised I was persuaded to trial Rosuvastatin at the rate of 1/ week for a month then increase to 2/week for the next 3 months before repeating a fasting cholesterol test. The problem is my last HbA1c was 64mm in December and as my fasting blood sugars keep rising my next test will be even higher. When I first started on a low carb way of eating my Gliclizide had to be reduced as I was having hypos but for some reason my blood sugars have been on the increase for some time despite no obvious changes to lifestyle- but not as high as recently! Maybe it is happening because it is 17 years since diagnosis? Sorry to go on so much. Just trying to make sense of the situation. Have a pleasant Sunday whatever you are doing or wherever you are going. Best wishes. :)-
It is a hard one @dogslife
Our bodies change and adapt over time, so presumably do our nutrition needs.
I hope you can find a solution to this.

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all from a dry, clear, bright but too cold for me day in The Brecks. Easter egg hunt and a day with four grandchildren went well yesterday. Dolls, teddies and Tinky Winky now wearing nappies too small for any baby Ps. Video call with the three in Southampton revealed one sad little girl too ill to attend her friend's party and the fun fair afterwards. @dunelm thank you for the art and the meal sounds as though it went off well. The A3 photo was a wonderful surprise for you all. @gennepher how typical of you to research what Magpies eat then offer an alternative to the restricted food. Thank you for the kaleidoscope and I too hope you managed some sleep eventually. @alf_Josiah grandchildren are amazingly energising, uplifting, offer hopes and dreams for the future - until bathtime. Then a totally different feeling overtakes one much earlier in the evening than in the good old days. A fair trade I would say. For balance, today we share Sunday Lunch with a nonagenarian before four days of grandchild care, joy and concern. Stay as safe as your love of adventure and the love of and for fellow humans allow.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is a hard one @dogslife
Our bodies change and adapt over time, so presumably do our nutrition needs.
I hope you can find a solution to this.
Thank you @gennepher. It's a dilemma deciding which will do most damage-- high blood sugars or high cholesterol. At the moment it is both! Enjoy your day in your garden. Feeding and watching/ listening to our garden birds keeps my spirits up.:)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings one and all from a dry, clear, bright but too cold for me day in The Brecks. Easter egg hunt and a day with four grandchildren went well yesterday. Dolls, teddies and Tinky Winky now wearing nappies too small for any baby Ps. Video call with the three in Southampton revealed one sad little girl too ill to attend her friend's party and the fun fair afterwards. @dunelm thank you for the art and the meal sounds as though it went off well. The A3 photo was a wonderful surprise for you all. @gennepher how typical of you to research what Magpies eat then offer an alternative to the restricted food. Thank you for the kaleidoscope and I too hope you managed some sleep eventually. @alf_Josiah grandchildren are amazingly energising, uplifting, offer hopes and dreams for the future - until bathtime. Then a totally different feeling overtakes one much earlier in the evening than in the good old days. A fair trade I would say. For balance, today we share Sunday Lunch with a nonagenarian before four days of grandchild care, joy and concern. Stay as safe as your love of adventure and the love of and for fellow humans allow.
Thanks @ianpspurs
I managed some sleep eventually...
Have a good day
:)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @dogslife maybe it could possibly be the statins. These are extracts from WebMD. How high had your cholesterol risen to?

WEDNESDAY, March 4, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Cholesterol-lowering statin drugs may significantly increase a person's risk of developing type 2 diabetes, a new study from Finland suggests.

Researchers found that statins were associated with an almost 50 percent higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, even after adjusting for other factors.

Statins appear to increase the risk of type 2 diabetes in several ways, the researchers said. One is that the drugs can increase a person's insulin resistance, and the other is that the cholesterol-lowering drugs seem to impair the ability of the pancreas to secrete insulin, according to the report.

Commenting on the study, Dr. Ronald Goldberg, director of the Lipid Disorder Clinic and associate director of the Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami, said the researchers "show evidence that statins increased insulin resistance, and that the people who developed diabetes appeared to have less ability to respond to the insulin resistance by making more insulin."

The study authors noted, however, that their research only found an association between statin use and diabetes risk. And since the study was limited to white men, it's not clear if the findings would apply to women or other racial groups.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Krystyna23040

Mr Magpie was getting too upset and very agitated when he couldn't access the stray cat food. I realised there might be severe trouble on the horizon with him needing to feed his little ones, and needing any food. My cat diner does not include live sparrows. All different species, cats and birds are living in harmony here, and literally take turns within seconds of each other from the same cat food bowls. Mr Magpie today is much happier in himself. He has a calm demeanour now. He has all the food he needs, every time he is coming in. He does appear to appreciate it very much.
@gennepher How lovely that he does appreciate what you are doing. He must be so happy that his little babies won't go hungry now

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @dogslife maybe it could possibly be the statins. These are extracts from WebMD. How high had your cholesterol risen to?

WEDNESDAY, March 4, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Cholesterol-lowering statin drugs may significantly increase a person's risk of developing type 2 diabetes, a new study from Finland suggests.

Researchers found that statins were associated with an almost 50 percent higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, even after adjusting for other factors.

Statins appear to increase the risk of type 2 diabetes in several ways, the researchers said. One is that the drugs can increase a person's insulin resistance, and the other is that the cholesterol-lowering drugs seem to impair the ability of the pancreas to secrete insulin, according to the report.

Commenting on the study, Dr. Ronald Goldberg, director of the Lipid Disorder Clinic and associate director of the Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami, said the researchers "show evidence that statins increased insulin resistance, and that the people who developed diabetes appeared to have less ability to respond to the insulin resistance by making more insulin."

The study authors noted, however, that their research only found an association between statin use and diabetes risk. And since the study was limited to white men, it's not clear if the findings would apply to women or other racial groups.
Good morning@Krystyna. Thanks for taking the time to send this information. In January 22 my Serum cholesterol was 6.2 mmil/L and my HDL was 5.2. (My Triglicerides were 1.9 and my LDL was 4.1 so these were not too bad). I have not been taking statins for some time as I was intolerant to every one they tried. In July 2020 the GP referred me to the lipid department at the hospital for advice. Apparently the hospital sent a reply to the GP the same day but no-one let me know. It was only at my last review that we discovered this advice which I have been following since January. I only have 3 weeks left to take them before being re-tested. I have recently changed GP surgery due to our house move so perhaps the new GP will offer different advice. Best wishes.:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear that the supposedly helpful advice has caused stress and worsening of bg. You are absolutely not going on so much, merely sharing with friends a very difficult situation which, rightly, troubles you. Enjoy Low Sunday in your garden or anywhere you please.

Reactions: jjraak