Fruit. Thoughts please..

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I planted 2 apple trees 30 years ago i love apples now i give them all away the same with most in ground
veggies as a result i have the best neighbors.

PaulJ150265

Thank you for your thoughts on Fruit. A big lesson learned on here for me. At my last diabetic review the nurse asked what my basic diet was and she went through some foods to eat and still said fresh fruit. I’m glad Ive found this site and forum as it seems to be finally putting me on the right track. Thanks all.

Reactions: Lainie71

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. This is what I am thinking. I eat fruit during the week and I’m higher than weekends.
I think I’m going to reduce the intake and take from there.

Hi Paul, stick to berries rather than bananas, satsumas or apples. Berries are lower in sugars and shouldn't spike you to the high heavens, while you can still get the sweet taste. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries. Add a bit of double cream and you have instant dessert! (Adding the cream may slow absorption of the sugars too)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Strawberries are good just not too many- I can have them in the mornings but not pm for some reason.
If you're interested in fiber content of fruits, blackberries and pears are high in fiber.

Colliewobbles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i am t2 steroid induced and really struggling with the fruit thing before i ate lots of fruit and i mean up to 7 8 or more in fact i ate more fruit then anything.. but have to curb it and really not happy about it, mind you used to love jelly babies up until last year and had mega hypos and they kept saying eat jelly babies now i cant stand the lol

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i am t2 steroid induced and really struggling with the fruit thing before i ate lots of fruit and i mean up to 7 8 or more in fact i ate more fruit then anything.. but have to curb it and really not happy about it, mind you used to love jelly babies up until last year and had mega hypos and they kept saying eat jelly babies now i cant stand the lol
Remember that all the frit, and most veges have been bred to be higher in sugar and starch, so they are nothing like the ones found naturally - we'd have had to work a lot harder to accumulate the same amount of carbs by finding and picking it ourselves than to carry a punnet or net of modern fruit home from the supermarket.

Reactions: HSSS