What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
So sorry to hear that the supposedly helpful advice has caused stress and worsening of bg. You are absolutely not going on so much, merely sharing with friends a very difficult situation which, rightly, troubles you. Enjoy Low Sunday in your garden or anywhere you please.
Thank you @ianpspurs.:)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning@Krystyna. Thanks for taking the time to send this information. In January 22 my Serum cholesterol was 6.2 mmil/L and my HDL was 5.2. (My Triglicerides were 1.9 and my LDL was 4.1 so these were not too bad). I have not been taking statins for some time as I was intolerant to every one they tried. In July 2020 the GP referred me to the lipid department at the hospital for advice. Apparently the hospital sent a reply to the GP the same day but no-one let me know. It was only at my last review that we discovered this advice which I have been following since January. I only have 3 weeks left to take them before being re-tested. I have recently changed GP surgery due to our house move so perhaps the new GP will offer different advice. Best wishes.:)
The statin issue is a tricky one. I am the same as you - statin intolerant (this was diagnosed after 26 days on statins). Consultant A who put me on statins said that my Cholesterol was far too high at 4.6 and I would die early from a heart attack. Consultant B who diagnosed me as statin intolerant said that statins would only increase my life by 4 days, but actually it was more likely to increase my life by 1 day - if that. At least both Consultants were in agreement that the muscle damage caused by the statins would take at least 4 years to recover from.

A doctor that I got a private prescription from was horrified at my cholesterol level. He had done a lot of research on cholesterol and said that research showed that older ladies with higher cholesterol in the 5s and 6s lived much longer than those with cholesterol in the 4s. He wasn't surprised that my resting heart rate had gone up after the statin damage. He pointed out that the heart is a muscle also.

It is a nightmare trying to work out who is right and who is wrong when we get such conflicting viewpoints.

Jojo85

Good morning,

Fbg 6.3 rhis morning , too many late snacks again. I really have to stop this lol

Today is Monday and start of my new eating habits!

Hope everyone has a great day

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning,

Fbg 6.3 rhis morning , too many late snacks again. I really have to stop this lol

Today is Monday and start of my new eating habits!

Hope everyone has a great day
So easy done, @Jojo85

Good luck with plan

New week
New you :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning. I was surprised as I was 4.0 at 10pm last night.
Back to work today. Have really enjoyed my Easter break.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The statin issue is a tricky one. I am the same as you - statin intolerant (this was diagnosed after 26 days on statins). Consultant A who put me on statins said that my Cholesterol was far too high at 4.6 and I would die early from a heart attack. Consultant B who diagnosed me as statin intolerant said that statins would only increase my life by 4 days, but actually it was more likely to increase my life by 1 day - if that. At least both Consultants were in agreement that the muscle damage caused by the statins would take at least 4 years to recover from.

A doctor that I got a private prescription from was horrified at my cholesterol level. He had done a lot of research on cholesterol and said that research showed that older ladies with higher cholesterol in the 5s and 6s lived much longer than those with cholesterol in the 4s. He wasn't surprised that my resting heart rate had gone up after the statin damage. He pointed out that the heart is a muscle also.

It is a nightmare trying to work out who is right and who is wrong when we get such conflicting viewpoints.
This is interesting @Krystyna23040 @dogslife because before I was diagnosed with diabetes my cholesterol was in the 6's, and the doctors never found that an issue. But I got diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2015/16. And it was I have to take a statin to get it down to 4's . I did question that if 6's were okay before diabetes, then why is it not okay now. The only answer I got at that time was that it was protocol to give all diabetics statins. And I did take them. But for various reasons I was not happy, but I got told, look you are in the 5's now and that is far healthier for you. Anyway to cut a long story short, the main GP in our practice was in trouble, because of neglect and a court case, and him and his wife had to leave. Hence no GP's to run our surgery. So this has been a doctorless/nurse/diabetic nurse less surgery since early 2019. It is a GP Surgery in name only. Hence no check ups, no blood tests etc.

Consequently I stopped taking the statins in 2019 after research online. I pay for a few of my own tests. My cholesterol has gone back up to the 6's which is what I was pre diabetes diagnosis. It stays stable at that level. I make my own choices and decisions.

I am glad you posted that @Krystyna23040 because it further validates my own feelings and decisions.

Thank you.

Reactions: mojo37 and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

I am doing a here when I am meant to be there. Got to dash. Catch you later. All is well at gennepher's cat diner. I even feed Mr Fox now, have for about a week now. He gets his food put out at 9 pm, by 10 pm the food is gone. And he leaves the rest of my garden and Popeye's Big Ted alone. How do I know it is him? He leaves his signature message...

So, everything that is 4 footed and furred, and 2 footed and feathered are being fed in my garden now. I don't think there are any other variations...

Creative is kaleidoscope in Laboscope app. Crab Apple again, but taken this morning with no wind...

Bye...have that coffee for me because I don't have time for it...

Take care...

image.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a bit of a damp start there in the dark and dangerous north
Home again, home again jigerty jog and then out last night to a local Thai restaurant for crab cakes and then a naughty Pad Thai.
A bit of shopping on the cards today. My pal from the USA needs to replace batteries in his watch (allegedly expensive in the land of the not so free after all) and then to M&S for a pair of slacks that he fancies. He needs to organise a lateral flow test as well at some point.
Art bit - some quick sketch done before the weekend. Have a smashing day if you can. I am already having koffy.

upload_2022-4-25_8-3-52.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

I am doing a here when I am meant to be there. Got to dash. Catch you later. All is well at gennepher's cat diner. I even feed Mr Fox now, have for about a week now. He gets his food put out at 9 pm, by 10 pm the food is gone. And he leaves the rest of my garden and Popeye's Big Ted alone. How do I know it is him? He leaves his signature message...

So, everything that is 4 footed and furred, and 2 footed and feathered are being fed in my garden now. I don't think there are any other variations...

Creative is kaleidoscope in Laboscope app. Crab Apple again, but taken this morning with no wind...

Bye...have that coffee for me because I don't have time for it...

Take care...

View attachment 54313
Gennephers cat diner getting more reviews in trip adviser. Lovely colours in the crab apple.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who sailed on the good ship lollipop.
Blood sugars this morning were 5.0.
Not sure about today, it is my girlfriend number 5’s husband’s funeral, he was 93 and this year would have been their 70th wedding anniversary, that’s both of now gone. Tomorrow will be another funeral one of my many cousin’s she was in her early 70’s and it appears a victim of the covid virus, but did have underlying health issues.

Now today here in Tilehurst Towers it will be a day of 3 halves, pre funeral, funeral, post funeral unfortunately at no point in the day will me and me’s have time to work on ongoing woodworking projects….drat….and worse still I, will be under the full supervision of Mrs J, who just for information is rather picky about my choice of apparel to wear too a funeral, I mustn’t grumble, Mrs J does know how to use the washing machine, something far beyond my abilities.
Stay safe all.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
No FBG today
How can I eat more appropriately when our houseguest has made a huge stack of pancakes for breakfast?
I had two filled with cream cheese, but the pile is very inviting and there is jam on the table.
I am alone in the kitchen with an empty plate and a very hot cup of tea.
Today I am going to attempt to get appointment with the doctor to discuss test results. Was going to wait until I had the scan she recommended as well, but that has now been confirmed as not happening until June 29th.
Need to get my act together. We are going to UK on Friday. For some reason am very anxious about this.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who sailed on the good ship lollipop.
Blood sugars this morning were 5.0.
Not sure about today, it is my girlfriend number 5’s husband’s funeral, he was 93 and this year would have been their 70th wedding anniversary, that’s both of now gone. Tomorrow will be another funeral one of my many cousin’s she was in her early 70’s and it appears a victim of the covid virus, but did have underlying health issues.

Now today here in Tilehurst Towers it will be a day of 3 halves, pre funeral, funeral, post funeral unfortunately at no point in the day will me and me’s have time to work on ongoing woodworking projects….drat….and worse still I, will be under the full supervision of Mrs J, who just for information is rather picky about my choice of apparel to wear too a funeral, I mustn’t grumble, Mrs J does know how to use the washing machine, something far beyond my abilities.
Stay safe all.
All the best for today and many condolences.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No FBG today
How can I eat more appropriately when our houseguest has made a huge stack of pancakes for breakfast?
I had two filled with cream cheese, but the pile is very inviting and there is jam on the table.
I am alone in the kitchen with an empty plate and a very hot cup of tea.
Today I am going to attempt to get appointment with the doctor to discuss test results. Was going to wait until I had the scan she recommended as well, but that has now been confirmed as not happening until June 29th.
Need to get my act together. We are going to UK on Friday. For some reason am very anxious about this.
Oh dear, I think that I may have boiled an egg and bowed out of pancakes. Wonder what is making you anxious about the trip to the UK?

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning all. Well- after a no carb. evening meal at 6.30 pm and nothing to eat afterwards, just a drink of black tea my fbs this morning was 12.3. The sun is just breaking through the clouds here but still very chilly so time to wrap up warm and have a walk in the fresh air. The jay is back in our garden.:) We thought it had moved on. We also have a visiting woodpecker and thrush as well as two pairs of nesting magpies along with a wide variety of smaller birds. They are eating us out of house and home and such a pleasure to watch. No cats yet,@gennepher but we do have the occasional visit from a fox. Isn't nature fascinating? Best wishes to all for a good day.:)

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings chums and welcome @ErinKeegan. I obviously had an fbg but Swipey appears to be missing from both arms. @Jojo85 you will manage to stay on the straight and narrow this week. @SlimLizzy hug for the anxiety and my sympathies for you and anyone else tempted by higher carb food. @alf_Josiah funerals are usually sombre but a part of life's rich tapestry. Two so close is obviously difficult so you have my sympathy. @gennepher and @dunelm thank you both for the artwork. In other news, our two grandchildren brighten a dull day. The effort required for an 8 month old boy to manoeuvre a small lozenge shaped rusk or half a blueberry into his mouth is awesome. Then the sheer joy when he succeeds is wonderful. Not LC but I would bet the farm it tastes better than (almost) anything LC. Oh, Wai.... had 20% off meat and fish at the counters yesterday (for cardholders, no free coffee in Newmarket - must email Hancock:angelic:) and the couple in front of us kindly let me have their salmon skin which the guy serving wrapped separately and for free. Also bought a half side of salmon and 2 dry aged sirloin steaks (£ 6 the pair) :woot::woot: Random acts of kindness and hope 2 - Macron won - (3 rd on the way, VAR :D) Forces of Darkness and Evil 0. (Le Pen lost) Go Team D.

Last edited:
Reactions: alf_Josiah