Type 1'stars R Us

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How frustrating!! Did you send it recorded delivery, so at least you can see that it's been delivered.

Reactions: Marie 2

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
It was a terrible night for me. My blood sugar was arount 15 three times a night and now It's 14,2

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was a terrible night for me. My blood sugar was arount 15 three times a night and now It's 14,2
I think you did well with guessing carbohydrates and your insulin ratios if your readings did not go higher than 15. Although, it is frustrating when the readings will take several hours to go back down after correction insulin.
I have found that carbohydrate counting is very difficult when visiting. Even when you ask the cook what went into the food, they forget to tell you about the sugar/sweet pickle that went into a savoury dish. Thankfully, you survived.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Zhnyaka It always seems to take a lot more to correct a high, and then it seems like some of that correction hits hours later and then you have to correct that! Yo-yoing. But sometimes things are worth it, like special family gatherings!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
@Zhnyaka It always seems to take a lot more to correct a high, and then it seems like some of that correction hits hours later and then you have to correct that! Yo-yoing. But sometimes things are worth it, like special family gatherings!
That's true, you do your insulin shot again and again and it seems that nothing happens... and then your glucose levels drop too much... Yo-yoing!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
That's true, you do your insulin shot again and again and it seems that nothing happens... and then your glucose levels drop too much... Yo-yoing!
Oh the nasty nighttime high, and the frustrating yo-yo: banes of a type one life. Some things just seem to have a built in delayed action time, stuff like pasta, and anything with high levels of fat, and they’re so often the things that others love to offer as treats. You did well to keep it to no higher than 15.

Reactions: Zhnyaka

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mind me asking this.

Does easter last the whole April?.

or just two weeks?
Good friday, saturday sunday, monday are the main four days of easter for ordinary christians, which can either be in March and April, the orthodox christians easter might be different though.

The muslim festival of ramadan lasts for the month of April.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Yaya10_10 If you are a Catholic Christian, you also follow Lent which starts with Ash Wednesday and lasts 40 or 46 days if you count Sundays, and Catholics (not all) follow certain protocols during that time. Ash Wednesday/Lent starts in February sometime and then Lent ends at Easter. Other Christian faiths might do something with Lent, I'm not sure as a Methodist we never did? But I had friends that would give up stuff for Lent and they could also only eat certain foods especially on Fridays.

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The season of Easter lasts for 40 days. But, I'll go all professional nerdy on everyone about church calendars in different denominations and still be here long after I should have gone to work. So, I'll leave it at that. (And try not to get started on the season of Christmas starting on Christmas Day and ending on February 2nd - I've long accepted the rest of the world goes mad for Christmas beforehand, which kind of ruins it for me, but I am in a purist minority now.)

We've just had an in-depth discussion about celebrating Easter, Eid (end of Ramadan), and various birthdays with cake next week. Carb counts for the chosen cakes were part of yesterday's Maths lesson!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I love the idea of making carb counts part of a maths education Japes, so much better than the number of bucket of water for a bath or the time it takes a bus to pass a stick.
I think Easter, or Oestre (think oestrogen), or Ostara is a spring equinox celebration, the nature of which varies depending on where you are in time and place. I’m not religious, but feel hope and relief as I see a return of growing things. For me, the celebration begins with the first appearance of a snowdrop, gathers speed as the first self-sown seeds germinate, the first leaves break open, and culminates in the first rose to bloom, which in our garden was a week ago, high in the top of a yew. I know then that life will go on.
https://www.learnreligions.com/history-of-ostara-the-spring-equinox-2562485

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I made kimchi yesterday, for the very first time. It took about 7 hours, though a lot of that time was waiting for the napa cabbage to be ‘cooked’ in a saline solution. It’s now in the fridge, ready to ferment, and will be ready in a few weeks’ time. What can go wrong? (Yes, it could grow mould, I could forget it’s there, it could get thrown away by husband, it could be opened too early by older daughter, it could be too spicy for our British tongues.) I got some of the ingredients from a Korean grocery in town and some tips and hints from the owner.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I made kimchi yesterday, for the very first time. It took about 7 hours, though a lot of that time was waiting for the napa cabbage to be ‘cooked’ in a saline solution. It’s now in the fridge, ready to ferment, and will be ready in a few weeks’ time. What can go wrong? (Yes, it could grow mould, I could forget it’s there, it could get thrown away by husband, it could be opened too early by older daughter, it could be too spicy for our British tongues.) I got some of the ingredients from a Korean grocery in town and some tips and hints from the owner.
If you want more input on fermenting, @shelley262 is the person you need, she does a lot of fermenting foods! :)

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good friday, saturday sunday, monday are the main four days of easter for ordinary christians, which can either be in March and April, the orthodox christians easter might be different though.

The muslim festival of ramadan lasts for the month of April.
Thank you so much for this information.

Yes, we muslims fast now the whole April.

Reactions: Marie 2

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Yaya10_10 If you are a Catholic Christian, you also follow Lent which starts with Ash Wednesday and lasts 40 or 46 days if you count Sundays, and Catholics (not all) follow certain protocols during that time. Ash Wednesday/Lent starts in February sometime and then Lent ends at Easter. Other Christian faiths might do something with Lent, I'm not sure as a Methodist we never did? But I had friends that would give up stuff for Lent and they could also only eat certain foods especially on Fridays.

Aha that's why the guy in the store told me that people tomorrow (Monday) will buy eggs and the prices may go up.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The season of Easter lasts for 40 days. But, I'll go all professional nerdy on everyone about church calendars in different denominations and still be here long after I should have gone to work. So, I'll leave it at that. (And try not to get started on the season of Christmas starting on Christmas Day and ending on February 2nd - I've long accepted the rest of the world goes mad for Christmas beforehand, which kind of ruins it for me, but I am in a purist minority now.)

We've just had an in-depth discussion about celebrating Easter, Eid (end of Ramadan), and various birthdays with cake next week. Carb counts for the chosen cakes were part of yesterday's Maths lesson!!
that's cool teaching maths and carb count together.
well done.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I ate to many carbs last night and woke this morning to 14.2 , gave myself 11 units of Novo Rapid ( usually 8 ) had my usual 20 carbs for breakfast and then went for my usual 2 mile walk , just got back and tested it was 4.9 , had another 12 carbs just to put the brakes on a bit , this works for me every time .