Keto length

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, hope every one I'd doing ok despite this horrible condition.
I've struggled a lot with it but mainly I have been in denial. However recently I've started a keto diet and weight has gone from 258 pounds to 236.
I also noticed my finger prick tests went from 10+ to constantly 4-6.mmlmol.
I stopped taking my Metformin and also my statins and my blood sugars are still 5-6 mm/mol.
I'm just wondering is there a maximum period of time you can do a keto diet for.

Thanks for reading

Andy

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat
D

Deleted member 543160

Congratulations, and keep up your good work!

As far as I'm concerned ketosis is entirely natural state and our bodies are designed to work in "dual fuel" mode using both carbs and fats/ketones for our energy needs. And I believe that before we were brainwashed with all the nonsense about fats being bad for us, that's how we were actually eating. So while "keto" may currently be treated as some fancy trendy diet, in a somewhat less restrictive form it's also a normal way of eating and there's absolutely no reason not to do so indefinitely.

I've eaten normal full fat, moderate carbohydrate food for most of my long life, only eating much higher carb in more recent years when my husband took over shopping and cooking. My T2 diagnosis gave me the opportunity and justification to cut right back on those carbs, and I've since eaten a low carb/ketogenic diet for over 8 years now and see no reason to ever stop doing so.

Reactions: Outlier and EllieM

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Thanks for reading

Andy[/QUOTE]

Hi.

Well done - the trickiest bit is the first few steps. There are many on here that have been on this diet for years and are thriving. It becomes a life style more than a diet

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, hope every one I'd doing ok despite this horrible condition.
I've struggled a lot with it but mainly I have been in denial. However recently I've started a keto diet and weight has gone from 258 pounds to 236.
I also noticed my finger prick tests went from 10+ to constantly 4-6.mmlmol.
I stopped taking my Metformin and also my statins and my blood sugars are still 5-6 mm/mol.
I'm just wondering is there a maximum period of time you can do a keto diet for.

Thanks for reading

Andy
Hi Andy, well done you! There isn't a maximum period you can do a keto diet for, as far as I'm aware. What tends to limit the period of time most people can do it, is that they can find it's restrictive, and becomes hard to maintain. I've been doing it for several years now, initially very strictly, now I just keep an eye on the carbs and probably stay below 50g a day, and I find that it controls my sugars pretty well.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only been keto since diagnosis in September, and intend to stay on it for life. I find it easy and pleasant, and the effects are better than I had ever imagined. I wish I'd known about it years ago when I struggled so bitterly with my weight..

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your replies I genuinely do believe I'm on this for life. I'm enjoying it and tasting proper food for the first time in years

Reactions: OrsonKartt