Any diabetes 1 preppers here with prepping tips?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Got an access to water buffalo so you can extract your own insulin?

An inspiring story f T1 survival during WW2

Eva Saxl: Surviving as a Diabetic in World War II (asweetlife.org)

Realistically, I don't think hoarding insulin is feasible, so we're kind of dependant on modern civilisation.

My apologies, am not a prepper, though I do keep at least a couple of weeks of insulin in my fridge because here in New Zealand natural disasters are a genuine concern.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a prepper either, but I do make sure I always have enough insulin for at least a month on hand.

Reactions: Smiler99 and EllieM

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
A prepper? Never heard of this before, I wait until I’m on my last pen before ordering more, maybe I should be saving it up? Do you guys know something I don’t?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have a couple of boxes of 100 strips on hand, I always have plenty of lancets as a T2. Same goes for my medications I have at least two months supply in case of shortages and disasters.

As a prepper like the ones in the US, that are stockpiling food guns and ammo for the apocalypses that are goin to happen.We have enough food in the freezer and cupboard to last a couple of weeks, in case of cyclones, bush fires, flooding etc.

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
So we all need a couple of water buffalo wow I found that interesting I had no idea @EllieM

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt the lack of insulin is going to be a problem. If you have a stockpile of carbs then rationing them to not remain on a high bender for too long along with the probable extra exercise would help in maintaining average BG's.

If it were me I would be stocking up on a small shipping container of glucose tablets and then when food supplies and then your body has used all it's stores you are going to need something to help with the lows.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Yees)))
It is really nessesary in Russia
Screenshot_20220426_133009_com.huawei.photos.png

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I began a general food store in preparation for Brexit, concentrating on stuff that might be in short supply: essentials like coffee, pulses, tomatoes, flour, olive oil. This became a Covid store. It’s now an oh gawd what’s next store. We use it as we need it. I think it’s really just an enlargement of the larder. Busy watching seeds sprout to have fresh food, but this is normal non-prepper, normal spring activity, with extra concentration on autumn and winter greens and roots. We always buy winter potatoes in big big sacks too, saves carting them home every week.
I think the end of the world has been a fear since human life began. As we all know, each one of us is mortal. Long live Gaia.

Reactions: Antje77

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I doubt the lack of insulin is going to be a problem. If you have a stockpile of carbs then rationing them to not remain on a high bender for too long along with the probable extra exercise would help in maintaining average BG's.

If it were me I would be stocking up on a small shipping container of glucose tablets and then when food supplies and then your body has used all it's stores you are going to need something to help with the lows.
Jelly babies for me. Must get some more next time I shop, two bags is not enough to keep the wolves at bay.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's worrying for all T1's living in or close to a war. I'm very sure @Fairygodmother didn't mean to rule out people, she was only reacting to a member living in Russia taking her precautions.
No, I had no intention of ruling out any people living in conflict areas, and in places where it’s difficult to get supplies. As @Antje77 says, I was reacting to @Zhynaka’s post. Supply difficulties are more than worrying for a whole range of people who rely on medical treatments to stay alive, and healthy.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
It's very worrying for Ukrainian T1's as well, please do not forget them.

Slava Ukraini

Yes, my friends with T1 from Ukrainian are forced to live on their insulin supplies because medicines are not delivered to pharmacies. War is a terrible thing for people with chronic diseases