Shipping insulin to the UK? Insane script costs for visitors

gradenko80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys. Just got a script here in England for 10x vials of Fiasp and they said it would cost 200 pounds. If possible I'm just going to see if I can have it shipped by my family from home (Australia). Does anyone know if it is possible to post insulin overseas to the UK?

Unless anyone knows how visitors here can access cheap insulin. I know it's a large quantity I was prescribed but does that seem normal for non-subsidised insulin?

Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I don't do Fiasp. But I had considered scoring Tresiba to see if I could manage any better than the current prescribed Lantus? (My endo has a different opinion.)
When I searched, I found this for fiasp flexi pens. From memory a similar price for Tresiba. The brick wall i hit is I'd need to be prescribed.. in which case I'd be funded anyway..

Hope this helps give an idea..? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECDsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Z93_d4VRP0JGZXqof-wWL

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hey guys. Just got a script here in England for 10x vials of Fiasp and they said it would cost 200 pounds. If possible I'm just going to see if I can have it shipped by my family from home (Australia). Does anyone know if it is possible to post insulin overseas to the UK?

Unless anyone knows how visitors here can access cheap insulin. I know it's a large quantity I was prescribed but does that seem normal for non-subsidised insulin?

Thanks
You could try phoning a number of pharmacies to see if the price varies.
https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/diabetes/insulins/fiasp

gradenko80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I don't do Fiasp. But I had considered scoring Tresiba to see if I could manage any better than the current prescribed Lantus? (My endo has a different opinion.)
When I searched, I found this for fiasp flexi pens. From memory a similar price for Tresiba. The brick wall i hit is I'd need to be prescribed.. in which case I'd be funded anyway..

Hope this helps give an idea..? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECDsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Z93_d4VRP0JGZXqof-wWL
Ok interesting! Already have some of the flexi pens, mostly keen to get more vials so will call around and see. Thanks for your help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

Thanks
I'm an Australian living in the UK. Did you go to the doctor as a private patient? This would explain the cost. You need to go as an NHS patient within the reciprocal arrangement with Australia. https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.a...reement-visiting-united-kingdom?context=22481

Reactions: gradenko80

xshtiek

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks
That's about the same as it would cost, over the counter, here in Canada, in the States it's much much more.
It might be expensive to ship as it needs to be kept cool.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I know it's possible to have insulin shipped from the EU, because mine always is. BUT it has to be shipped refrigerated to be allowed in as a medicine. My hospital does 24hr delivery, so a cool box is acceptable. From Australia? I don't know if it's possible.

I agree with ert though, if you access the nhs under reciprocal rights you might end up paying one prescription charge, about a tenner.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I thought the reciprocal arrangements for Australians in UK covered consultations, but any medications had to be paid for. That said, I'd be happy to be wrong in this case.
Some countries you have to pay for all medication. Some countries (including UK) you have to 'contribute'. How much is the contribution? I can't find that written on any gov webpage, .au, .uk or .nhs. And the medicine also has to fall into certain categories - life-essential is probably the one for insulin.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Here's the Australian PBS prices for insulin if you look under the schedule heading, it is cheaper if you have a concession card as well.

https://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/search?term=insulin&base=drugtype:ge,&search-type=medicines
Wow. Not only do they not have the insulin that I use, but the prices are gob-smackingly expensive. I'm spoilt I know because my insulin is 'free', but those prices would be a significant proportion of my income.

I would guess the contribution to the UK nhs would be a standard prescription charge (£10 or AUS$17), or even free because it's insulin.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Not only do they not have the insulin that I use, but the prices are gob-smackingly expensive. I'm spoilt I know because my insulin is 'free', but those prices would be a significant proportion of my income.
It's not all bad, the price comes down to $6.80 for all scripts including insulin when you hit a monetary thresh hold called the safety net, once you reach that the price of all scripts comes down to $6.80 per item.

If you have a federal government concession card, aged pension, disabilty etc pension the scripts are free for the the rest of the year. I have ten more scripts to fill and then my medication will be free till the end of December.

Most diabetics in Australia belong to NDSS for the free and subsidised stuff, as a T2 my strips cost me $1.20 for a 2 x 50 box of Contour Next strips instead of $65.00 over the counter price.

https://www.ndss.com.au/

gradenko80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought the reciprocal arrangements for Australians in UK covered consultations, but any medications had to be paid for. That said, I'd be happy to be wrong in this case.
Ok great, looking into it now. Went to one surgery in Oxford and they told me 3 weeks to register so will see if any can get me signed up quicker!

gradenko80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump