What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like Michael Mosley's cardamom chicken recipe (or we do it with Quorn pieces for a veggie option). It includes peppers and creme fraiche, but I'm sure real cream would taste even better! You can find the recipe if you scroll down a long way in this article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ess-losing-weight-new-Fast-800-Easy-diet.html
That looks very tasty!

I've put 5 peppers and some garlic in the oven to roast and I'll try my hand at a creamy pepper soup!

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today is day 3 of the fast 800 with low carb/IF. Blood sugar still spiking around lunch but not as high and have been in single figures all day, 5.7 am, 8 after lunch

Breakfast- black coffee
Lunch- keto bread, slice of vegan Gouda and meatless farm burger and a smidge of Nando’s hot sauce
Carbs-15.1, cals 470

Dinner will be
2x Kello veggie cakes with bit of vegan primula spread
Spinach (raw)
Red onion
Vegan meatballs
Carbs 22.3 cals 359

Total carbs 37
Total cals 837

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks amazing! Very fitting for our Dutch Koningsdag (kingsday, our king's birthday, when the whole country turns orange) too! :hilarious:
Do you make this yourself or just spice up bought sauerkraut?

I buy it online like that from a small Scottish company. They do a green one and a chilli one too. It is excellent stuff. If I’d known it was your King’s birthday, I’d have wished him well with a forkful of orange. What a joyous way to celebrate with the whole country turning orange!

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All had an interesting day out today with a friend who is very artistic and used to help me in the garden before Mr PM retired. We had a coastal walk and had a snacky lunch at ashack which for me involved h/m Spanish quiche and a lovely salad. I have to admit I did eat the pastry surrounding the quiche as it was thin and light as a feather.
Supper tonight is two Green Cuisine plant burgers and green beans.
@DJC3 good to see you and sorry for the stressful times but what a lovely breakfast!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Disorganised food day, I doubt I’ll remember all the snacks. I can report that a 250g bag of walnut pieces is 1/2 empty now ( opened lunchtime today)
B- LC roll topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon.
L- supposed to be prawn salad but the prawns tasted a bit too prawny and I didn’t want to chance it so binned the lot and had Brie and walnuts ( see above) then a mini bar of Montezuma’s absolute black.
D- Daughter went to Plymouth and promised to bring me back Nando’s but she’s not back yet so I have nibbled on pork slices, gherkins, more walnuts, a DGF cookie. I’m quite full so I’ve a feeling I’ve missed something…

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Kings day from the Netherlands everyone!
Turned out I completely accidentally went along with the orange craziness going over my country on this day. :hilarious:
Made a very tasty bell pepper soup. I only had yellow and orange bell peppers, and I added some freshly grated turmeric as well, so the result is very fitting for Koningsdag. :)

279178798_10225446224776883_2860309303767668500_n.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner out: full English of bacon, fried egg, sausage, peas (instead of baked beans), half a tomato, mushrooms and one small hash brown.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dinner out: full English of bacon, fried egg, sausage, peas (instead of baked beans), half a tomato, mushrooms and one small hash brown.
No wonder I'm still completely confused by English meals, even after all those years!
Breakfast and lunch I get, but after that it becomes an incomprehensible mess of dinner, supper, tea, which sometimes means the same thing but not always (and that's leaving out the odd elevenses or smoko's), and now it turns out you even eat breakfast for dinner!
Although I must admit I've always been amazed by the English eating a full dinner for breakfast so far...

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: plain yoghurt with seeds. Hams and cheese slices
A walk through a Dutch town, they celebrated Kings day early and well according to the huge amounts of plastic glasses strewn every where from last night. Was interesting seeing all the families strolling the streets today at Street and flea markets.
L: caulfower soup, fish and veg 1 scoop icecream. Bg shot up to 10 and stayed there. Later found the caulifower soup was in fact potato based.
D: salad, pork, cheese, wine and 1 brandy.

Does anyone have any idea why a potato based soup should spike me, when a very few chips or 1 roasted doesn’t?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A walk through a Dutch town, they celebrated Kings day early and well according to the huge amounts of plastic glasses strewn every where from last night.
Ah, you were early enough to see the remains of Kings night! Night is for getting drunk in the streets, day is for selling all the stuff you don't need anymore plus getting drunk again. Clad in orange of course!
Does anyone have any idea why a potato based soup should spike me, when a very few chips or 1 roasted doesn’t?
A few possibilies come to mind:
1. there was a lot more potato in it than a few chips or 1 roasted.
2. mashed anything hits quicker than the whole thing.
3. it was mashed potato powder.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast and lunch I get, but after that it becomes an incomprehensible mess of dinner, supper, tea, which sometimes means the same thing but not always (and that's leaving out the odd elevenses or smoko's), and now it turns out you even eat breakfast for dinner!
I have always eaten a big breakfast, as I could not work on a empty stomach. Small or no breakfasts maye be ok for office workers that do not do manual labour.

Smoko's are what the name suggest, you have a sandwich, pie etc, cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette in 15 minures.
Lunch is around midday, another smoko in the arvo.
Dinner is the evening meal, although some people call it tea, I do not know why.
At the moment my evening meal is called supper at six, where I have something light and easy to cook and eat.

Since eating meals this way my bgl has come down in to the 4's on my fasting test, my weekly bgl average is 5.6 mmol/L

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No wonder I'm still completely confused by English meals, even after all those years!
Although I must admit I've always been amazed by the English eating a full dinner for breakfast so far...
And there’s always brunch and high tea. I too had to Google smoko but now I just like saying it!

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yip, some of these terms are quite confusing. When I first saw the term "TEA", I could only interpret it as alternative term for the evening meal from the context, but I never heard it during the years that lived in London, in southern England. My guess is that it is a term used in Northern England. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding of "HIGH TEA" is that it is a late afternoon snack consisting of dainty sandwiches with tea. That is what I experienced when I traveled on British Airways from London to the US and Canada.

Something that I still cannot get used to even after having lived for 30 years in Canada is that main meal in North America on a Sunday is the dinner (evening) meal, whereas in South Africa the main meal on a Sunday is at lunch time (midday). I always chuckle when Canadian tourists to South Africa complain that they could not find any restaurant open on a Sunday evening! I kind of remember that in the UK it is also at lunch time, but my memory might not be up to date!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have any idea why a potato based soup should spike me

Probably cooked for longer, which seems to cause a bigger glucose hit. May well have had other ‘nasties’ in it too. Any liquidised carbs will reduce/remove fibre and be absorbed quicker likely cause a bigger spike.

Reactions: MrsA2

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
always chuckle when Canadian tourists to South Africa complain that they could not find any restaurant open on a Sunday evening!
The worst is Spain where no restaurants open before my bedtime in the evening!
I kind of remember that in the UK it is also at lunch time, but my memory might not be up to date!
Yup!
I can report that a 250g bag of walnut pieces is 1/2 empty now ( opened lunchtime today)
I’d call that restrained :hilarious:

Guess I’d better stay vaguely on topic. Have been away a lot the past couple of weeks and am again in my favourite room in my favourite hotel in Brum. Eating therefore a bit erratic. Currently deciding whether a lazy morning playing on my iPad in bed or a cooked breakfast will win out.

Yesterday was a mid-morning meal of cold lamb shoulder, using up the last of what was in the fridge before travelling. Lunch was a sprawling affair starting at Euston and continuing on the train - tub of tzatziki with smoked crispy bacon strips for dippers. Followed by some half price 80% pralines from Hotel Chocolat and 3 85% batons.

Wasn’t really any need for dinner but had Fage 0%, raspberries and cream from Morrisons.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

When men were able to get home for their mid-day meal (usually working class men) and if their wives/mothers were stay-at-home mothers, then that meal was the main one of the day and called "dinner". Middle class people would have a lighter meal and call it "lunch" - very often the breadwinner would not go home for that meal.

Breakfast was always a meal that could keep a person going for hours but the "full-English" or "full Ulster" was not available to folk with less money available, or with less access to food. Otherwise that meal would be something like porridge - that meal needed to have plenty of energy for a working man to keep going on.

When the breadwinner came home for a main meal after work, then IT was called dinner. In the houses that had dinner after a day's work, supper would be something light before bed. In higher class homes the meal was eaten later in the evening so those houses would have TEA (a cup of tea with something very light - scone, cake, biscuit) to keep them going until "supper" which was the main meal for them and so, a large meal. Tea as a meal was invented by some aristocratic lady who felt hungry during the afternoon but had to wait until evening for her main meal. "High tea" was a meal, but not a heavy one and so would include things like sandwiches, cakes and maybe something cooked, but not a huge stew or roast. I think, but am not sure, that this was originally a meal for children to share with their mother, or possibly both parents before being put to bed early in the evening - once the meal had gone down a bit.

Elevenses/smoko was a break for workers during the morning (around 11 am, obviously) for visits to the loo, then a cup of something to stoke up the energy and often to have a cigarette before going back to the grind. It all makes sense but why should we stick to those traditions? Why not a dish of sausage, bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns (or potato cakes/scones) and so on for an evening meal? I couldn't be bothered with putting that together for myself, but if someone else would put it together for me ....

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: plain yoghurt with seeds. Hams and cheese slices
A walk through a Dutch town, they celebrated Kings day early and well according to the huge amounts of plastic glasses strewn every where from last night. Was interesting seeing all the families strolling the streets today at Street and flea markets.
L: caulfower soup, fish and veg 1 scoop icecream. Bg shot up to 10 and stayed there. Later found the caulifower soup was in fact potato based.
D: salad, pork, cheese, wine and 1 brandy.

There is always the strange phenomenon of frozen potato not putting BG up - if the chips or roasted potatoes have been previously frozen, that might account for it. Even mashed potato, if it is from frozen mash, doesn't have the same detrimental effect on BG.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to have a slice of toast with some scrambled eggs in a while for my breakfast and later will have some baked fish with some peppers for a second meal.

RosemaryJackson

I have always eaten a big breakfast, as I could not work on a empty stomach. Small or no breakfasts maye be ok for office workers that do not do manual labour.

Smoko's are what the name suggest, you have a sandwich, pie etc, cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette in 15 minures.
Lunch is around midday, another smoko in the arvo.
Dinner is the evening meal, although some people call it tea, I do not know why.
At the moment my evening meal is called supper at six, where I have something light and easy to cook and eat.

Since eating meals this way my bgl has come down in to the 4's on my fasting test, my weekly bgl average is 5.6 mmol/L

LOL, I was just going to explain it when I saw Annb had beaten me to it!!