unusual metformin side effects

wend50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Ive just finished my 2nd week on metformin (now at 1000g divided into 2 doses), Im still experiencing nausea although that has improved but my biggest issue is constipation and a lot of stomach cramp pain. Should i persevere or give up now - increasing dose tomorrow to 1500g and in another week to 2000g - If these symptoms continue Im not sure I can cope with them. Id appreciate any comments or advice - thank you x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all
Ive just finished my 2nd week on metformin (now at 1000g divided into 2 doses), Im still experiencing nausea although that has improved but my biggest issue is constipation and a lot of stomach cramp pain. Should i persevere or give up now - increasing dose tomorrow to 1500g and in another week to 2000g - If these symptoms continue Im not sure I can cope with them. Id appreciate any comments or advice - thank you x

If you read the leaf!et, this sort of side effects are not unusual.
Go to your GP, and your doctor should change the drug to a slow release from of the drug.
And if that doesn't stop, there is other drugs instead of metformin.

Don't suffer, get onto your doctor.

Best wishes.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
What you are experiencing is not by any means unusual, here's a list of the most common metformin side effects
Copied from here https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/metformin-side-effects#more-common-side-effects

The most common side effects of metformin include:

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
I am on 1000mg of "Metformin" and started to take the medication on the 19/04 taken 500mg to start with for one week then increase to a 1000mg in the second week. The side effects that I have are metallic tasting mouth, nausea and headache. . But the metallic taste that I had was down to one of the other medications I am taken. The odd side effect that I am having is that the combination of the medications that I take is making me feel more depressed than I was already feeling.

Terry

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on 1000mg of "Metformin" and started to take the medication on the 19/04 taken 500mg to start with for one week then increase to a 1000mg in the second week. The side effects that I have are metallic tasting mouth, nausea and headache. . But the metallic taste that I had was down to one of the other medications I am taken. The odd side effect that I am having is that the combination of the medications that I take is making me feel more depressed than I was already feeling.

Terry
I have been under Metformi for slight=tjy under 30 years on max dose of 2 gms/day. I am one of the lucky ones and had very few side effects. Initially I did get some constipation, and the doc prescibed a laxative. I took it for a couple of weeks, then things settled down. The main effect I had was that about once a month I would be confined to barracks for a day. I dared not move away from home base on that day, but the 'event' itself was generally a single shot, thrn a rumbling menace for a few hours.

i did not notice any depression while I was on it, but I have recently dropped it completely and I got hit with the 'worries' and the dark beast for a while. I blame lockdown for that epidode since it was very out of character for me. But maybe it was coming down off th med that did it for me. We are all different, but I am not aware of Metformin causing the effect you mention.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chucked mine in the bin after 3 weeks of similar hell and changed what I ate instead.
Results in signature...