Very high sugar reading in urine sample

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I went to the doctors yesterday as not been feeling to well , the doctor said I have very high readings of sugar in my urine so has arranged some blood tests next week . I have been type 2 for a few years now and have always tried to keep my bloods down with diet but now they have put me on metformin. How long would this take to bring my sugars down and also the sugar in my urine .. thanks ..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you still using your meter? What are your levels usually like?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How long would this take to bring my sugars down and also the sugar in my urine .. thanks ..

Sugar appears in your urine once your blood sugar goes over 10mmol/L so very high level probably means that you are significantly higher than that. But how high is really hard to tell, partly because we don't know what very high means for those urine testing strips and partly because the level of sugar also depends on how much liquid you've been drinking. The sugar should go from your urine once you've reduced your bg down to below 10mmol/L, though some people have a slightly lower blood glucose threshold for passing sugar into their urine.

Metformin typically makes a difference of about 10mmol/mol to a hba1c result, which corresponds to a small but significant drop in blood sugar levels, (maybe 1-2 mmol/L ???) Also, many people need to take a highish dose of metformin to bring their levels down, and you generally have to work up to that dose gradually, so as to (hopefully) avoid gastric side effects. Note those figures are pretty much guesswork, because the effect will vary from person to person. Also, most of the studies quoting the effect of metformin assume you aren't eating a low carb diet, so am not sure whether that makes a difference or not.

Honestly, it's pretty well impossible to make any comments on this till you've got access to a blood sugar result or an hba1c. In the meantime, do you have any scope to reduce the carbs in your diet?

Good luck, hopefully you get your results soon and also start to feel better..

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think cutting carbs would be the best way to bring it down. Metformin has been very good for my sugar levels, but you have to meet it half-way: cut carbs and try to walk, and it should help the process along. Ditch fruit and grains for now; if you have been eating them, it might help explain the high numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxjoe121

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
If you can tolerate metformin without suffering the unpleasant side effects it will help a little by reducing the amount of glucose your liver releases but it can't help with the carbs in your diet. In your case something has obviously changed. It could be that you have allowed more carbs to sneak in to your diet, or it could be the level of your insulin resistance has changed. The more carbs we eat the more insulin is needed to deal with them, the higher the amount of insulin circulating the more resistant we become to it.
The answer can be quite simple, cutting as many carbs as you can from your diet will result in lower blood sugar levels, less insulin and probably improve your insulin resistance. No medication, no side effects and no more sugar lumps in your pee. Win, win, win.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou everyone for your replies , I'm currently on a low carb now and only just started the metformin so fingers crossed this has given me a kick up the bum to sort my diet out as I did it before so can do it again .. thankyou xx

Sent from my SM-G973F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat