Ketogenic diet for type2 DM.

Sam112

Can anyone kindly advice on a good resource for a Ketogenic diet resource or resources. I do Intermittent Fasting and I am on Merformin and Jardiance. My fasting is from anything between 16-18hrs almost daily. Lost 12 Kg in six months then it plateaued and not lost any weight in three months. Hoping to start on ketogenic diet during time restricted feeding to lose another five Kg or ideally 8!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d recommend Dietdoctor.com - lots of information, recipes, meal plans etc. Some content is paid for but you can get what you need for free.

Be careful though that your blood sugars don’t go too low with the jardiance.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jardiance contains empaflozin an SGLT2. These are associated with a slightly raised risk of DKA when on a ketogenic diet, and particularly the type that occurs without high blood glucose euglycemic dka. So I’d investigate this before commencing the diet to decide if it is suitable for you or if you wish to consider a different diet or medication. That said keto is excellent for reducing the need for medication in itself so you may not need to replace it with another at all.
Www.dietdoctor.com/keto is a good source and the same site has pages about medication on low carb and keto. Ditchthecarbs.com was the first place I found when I started and on Facebook there are lots of groups (be aware many are USA based and they count carbs differently in the nutrition advice and recipes as well as product recommendations)

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone kindly advice on a good resource for a Ketogenic diet resource or resources. I do Intermittent Fasting and I am on Merformin and Jardiance. My fasting is from anything between 16-18hrs almost daily. Lost 12 Kg in six months then it plateaued and not lost any weight in three months. Hoping to start on ketogenic diet during time restricted feeding to lose another five Kg or ideally 8!!!
What kind of blood sugar levels are you seeing?
With those meds and long fasting periods you should be almost "normal" i'd be looking to ditch the meds (at least the Jardiance) before going keto unless you are still seeing elevated sugars..