New and need to understand

ALuser

Hi

I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabities.

I'd normally be able to manage the blood sugar under 10 mmol. But sometime it would go to 12 or 13.

Specially when I'm fasting it will be on 5 to 6 all day until I break my fast and would then spike to 11 or 12.

I want to know what are the dangerous levels for diabities. I'm I OK if I keep it under 10 or does it have to be under 8.

Sorry I'm confused as the doctor didn't really answer my question when I asked.

Thank you

Reactions: wendy22

ALuser

A date, whole wheat soup, and either rice and chicken or chicken wrap some times bread and chicken curry.

I know that the rice and the bread are not good but I'm still finding difficult to adjust and with fasting I eat what everyone else eats.

The picture is something 6 of us would have.
Screenshot_20220420-231308_Gallery.jpg

ALuser

If I wasn't fasting I would have small meals and spread them around the day which keeps the blood sugur below 10

But with only having 1 meal a day it's really tough

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A date, whole wheat soup, and either rice and chicken or chicken wrap some times bread and chicken curry.

I know that the rice and the bread are not good but I'm still finding difficult to adjust and with fasting I eat what everyone else eats.

The picture is something 6 of us would have. View attachment 54256
Unfortunately the date, the wheat and the wrap as well as the rice and bread aren’t so good. It might mean you need to have some slightly different meals in order to gain good control. My family tend to share the low carb items (of which I have extra whilst they add carbs). Whilst fasting is great eating the right foods is even more important. Are you fasting for diabetes or perhaps some other reason like Ramadan? I’m fairly sure exceptions are allowed for medical reasons if so, is that right? The best foods to concentrate on are meats, fish, eggs, dairy including cheese and cream and non starchy vegetables. Stick to just berries fruit wise. Dried fruit is effectively a sugar bomb. Can your family meals include more of these items for you and less of the starchy stuff? Do not be afraid of naturally occurring fats. If we cut carbs we need more proteins and fats instead.

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabities.

I'd normally be able to manage the blood sugar under 10 mmol. But sometime it would go to 12 or 13.

Specially when I'm fasting it will be on 5 to 6 all day until I break my fast and would then spike to 11 or 12.

I want to know what are the dangerous levels for diabities. I'm I OK if I keep it under 10 or does it have to be under 8.

Sorry I'm confused as the doctor didn't really answer my question when I asked.

Thank you
To answer this question an individual rise of over 10 won’t do a great deal of damage as a one off. Regularly reaching these levels will gradually add to the complications that high levels potentially bring. The more time you spend above 8 the more likely these problems will occur.
What medication, if any, are you on? Do you know what your hba1c was?

ALuser

To answer this question an individual rise of over 10 won’t do a great deal of damage as a one off. Regularly reaching these levels will gradually add to the complications that high levels potentially bring. The more time you spend above 8 the more likely these problems will occur.
What medication, if any, are you on? Do you know what your hba1c was?
I'm on Metformin 3 a day. But with fasting I've been having it twice.

And no not sure what that is

ALuser

Unfortunately the date, the wheat and the wrap as well as the rice and bread aren’t so good. It might mean you need to have some slightly different meals in order to gain good control. My family tend to share the low carb items (of which I have extra whilst they add carbs). Whilst fasting is great eating the right foods is even more important. Are you fasting for diabetes or perhaps some other reason like Ramadan? I’m fairly sure exceptions are allowed for medical reasons if so, is that right? The best foods to concentrate on are meats, fish, eggs, dairy including cheese and cream and non starchy vegetables. Stick to just berries fruit wise. Dried fruit is effectively a sugar bomb. Can your family meals include more of these items for you and less of the starchy stuff? Do not be afraid of naturally occurring fats. If we cut carbs we need more proteins and fats instead.
Hi. Yes I managed it better before ramadan. But with fasting I didn't want to influence what was being cooked as there are 6 of us.

I know I can not fast for medical reasons but I want to do it.

I'll try to see if I can have less carbs and more chicken and meat

Blade72

I know it's not the same and it's more expensive but Carbzoneuk do some very low Carb rice it's 5g of Carbs per portion you will get 5 meals from a bag , it might be worth investing in that