Medical exemptions for prescriptions

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

Is there a list with the conditions that are 'medical reason for prescription cost exemption'?

I wanted to check if pre-diabetes, depression, dyslipidemia, class 2 obesity are considered such as they really require medications for life.

Thanks!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello

Is there a list with the conditions that are 'medical reason for prescription cost exemption'?

I wanted to check if pre-diabetes, depression, dyslipidemia, class 2 obesity are considered such as they really require medications for life.

Thanks!
I think if statins and anti depressants were free at the point of use we'd all be paying even more tax/NI. Nor are they conditions for life.
Hoping you pre diabetes and obesity gets fixed by diet since there are certainly no meds that can resolve these two and statins and anti depressants are fairly controversial too.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This is zero help to op sorry, I always wondered why some things get free scripts and others not, then why everything I get is free, not just diabetes treating items, for example I obviously have the exemption card but also get my statins free, where as if I didn’t have the exemption I would pay for the statins I think? Why not charge for some things but not others?

Reactions: Lainie71 and HSSS

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for example I obviously have the exemption card but also get my statins free, where as if I didn’t have the exemption I would pay for the statins I think? Why not charge for some things but not others?

Probably because it'd be far too much of a PITA to work out exactly what was and wasn't covered by the exemption at the time.
I'm pretty sure the pharmacies already have enough to do already without having to see how many items on each prescription are free and which aren't.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is zero help to op sorry, I always wondered why some things get free scripts and others not, then why everything I get is free, not just diabetes treating items, for example I obviously have the exemption card but also get my statins free, where as if I didn’t have the exemption I would pay for the statins I think? Why not charge for some things but not others?
I agree with @Rokaab that we probably get everything free at point of prescription (nothing is free - taxpayers pay) because of the bureaucratic cost of separating what is for chronic conditions and not. However, I am very conscious of the NHS shortfall and will ask for over the counter alternatives where they are available. I believe I could also pay for my prescriptions if I wanted.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @Rokaab that we probably get everything free at point of prescription (nothing is free - taxpayers pay) because of the bureaucratic cost of separating what is for chronic conditions and not. However, I am very conscious of the NHS shortfall and will ask for over the counter alternatives where they are available. I believe I could also pay for my prescriptions if I wanted.
I have to disagree, here in France some things are 100% and some things you have to contribute to it has never been a problem for the chemist and with computer programs now, so it would not be difficult to charge for some medicines and not others, not that I would like diabetics in the UK to have to pay as lots of other illnesses are caused by having diabetes

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I assumed that the medical exemption from payment applied to the patients who needed a specific medication either to stay alive, or to prevent guaranteed deterioration of their health. So type ones need insulin to live, medical exempted type twos need drugs to stop damage from high bg.
Could be entirely wrong since this is logical reasoning and, well...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have type 1 and get any other items I require on an exemption pass.
I guess there is a moral judgement there in that it is believed that those with type 2 can make different choices to avoid or reverse it.
That isn't completely true of course and some people are more likely than others to get type 2 diabetes and its co morbidities but I am guessing that is where the arbitrary line in the sand lies.
You're right that it was not v. helpful to the OP but I do question why people imagine they will always need statins or why the OP imagines he will need meds for pre diabetes and obesity both of which are food able problems.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assumed that the medical exemption from payment applied to the patients who needed a specific medication either to stay alive, or to prevent guaranteed deterioration of their health. So type ones need insulin to live, medical exempted type twos need drugs to stop damage from high bg.
Could be entirely wrong since this is logical reasoning and, well...
Also exemptions for pregnant women and the elderly. I suppose the former need their unborn babies protecting for a short duration and the latter is a joint social decision to protect those that use lots of medication but may be unable to afford them.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have actually asked my Gp to stop the statins and blood pressure pills as my tests are always in the normal range only to be told they have to be seen by the authorities to be doing something to help me keep in range .

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have actually asked my Gp to stop the statins and blood pressure pills as my tests are always in the normal range only to be told they have to be seen by the authorities to be doing something to help me keep in range .
I don't care if they have to be seen dancing in pink leotards and tutus. If the GP surgery doesn't put your welfare first and continues to prescribe unnecessary drugs, then they can rely on me to put my health above their politics and refuse to take them.
It would make so much more sense if the financial reward was for discussing whether a statin was appropriate for each patient rather than for prescribing it.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Money rewards eh , not really ethical though , I often wonder what would happen if I did stop taking the drugs after so many years , I did once ask a pharmacist and he told me that I would notice a difference after taking them for such a length of time , so too late for me , I did read somewhere that Statins can actually raise your blood sugar thus counter acting our goal !

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now forever going to 'see' DN and GP in pink leotards and tutus when (if) we actually have any face-to-face appointments.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

pinkjude

Hello

Thanks!
If you take metformin for type 2 diabetes then you get free prescriptions. My friend gets free prescriptions because she takes medication for her thyroid yet I am asthmatic and need my inhalers but have to pay. I buy a pre payment certificate which costs just under 11.00 a month and you can have as many prescriptions as needed for that. its cheaper for me that way

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you take metformin for type 2 diabetes then you get free prescriptions. My friend gets free prescriptions because she takes medication for her thyroid yet I am asthmatic and need my inhalers but have to pay. I buy a pre payment certificate which costs just under 11.00 a month and you can have as many prescriptions as needed for that. its cheaper for me that way
My OH and I get free prescriptions now because we are in our 60s but prior to that I didn’t pay due to taking Thyroid medication but my OH who has to take heart pill, Asthma meds and blood thinners always had to buy an annual prescription card.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a load of twaddle.

My old GP said that she had to offer all those living with diabetes statins, but they didn't have to accep them. I'd say that was closer to the truth, if not the brass tacks of it.

Why does it ever make sense to medicate something that is "normal", provided it is unmedicated "normal". If something is "normal" when meds are being taken, it could be the meds keeping it there.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and I apologise offend, but over prescribing is unhelpful at best.