Well that was disappointing

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I haven’t gained weight but I’ve went back into being a diabetic at 48 strangely. So I’m one of the slim diabetics as I was years ago. I always get the stereotypical comments because of it which really **** well annoys me even today it annoys me.

I’m waiting on the call for go back on the dapagliflozin or something else no doubt for a few months.

So I’ve dusted myself down from my disappointment and reduced the carb load again. As I was checking back on my app and some days I was eating 170g of carbs :eek: that isn’t low carb but in the past my doc says it is as normally we eat over 230g per day, so I’ve reduced.

my problem now is I don’t want to lose any more weight but if I go below 100g I do. I’ve been Googling on how to combat that and it looks like I’m going to have to up the weight lifting.

so wish me luck on getting back down into remission or even pre diabetic in 3 months as I think that’s when I’ll be seen again.

Reactions: OrsonKartt
D

Deleted member 543160

Are you eating enough fat? Your body can burn both carbs and fats for fuel, so when you cut down on the carbs, it will also use any dietary fat and if necessary start on your stored/body fat.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Eating more protein and doing weights should work. As does adding a little more fat intake (for some people).
We are all different, so there isn't a path that works for everybody.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree that 170g isn't low carb and if you want to keep the weight, eat the calories in a different form, fats and proteins and see how you go. Going down from 170 isn't so easy sometimes, so good luck.

Jo123

I'm slim and was only prediabetic in the beginning.
I have to keep my carbs to max 80ish day. And that's counting everything green veg, salad etc.
Initially I had problems losing too much weight, I upped my healthy fats, lots of nuts, olive oil, full fat yoghurt, half a large avocado daily.

Reactions: Dollylolly

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks guys

yup we are all different and what will work for one might not work for another.

I’m getting into the lifting but now need to find a personal trainer that doesn’t want me carb fuelled either, or one that understand diabetes type 2 mainly. Oh the joys

I’ll keep posting as I’ve been in remission before or the cusp of diabetes. But my app says 41 not 48 that I got but I’ve been told they can be a bit out as it’s just an average after all.

awaiting my phone too as doc will be asking questions on carb load as she’s very proactive there. She’s the one that put “fantastic” on my notes when I lost 15kgs in weight and reduced my HBA1c to 52 I think it was in 3 months.

so onward and upwards well really down :)

Reactions: jjraak and hankjam

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Are you eating enough fat? Your body can burn both carbs and fats for fuel, so when you cut down on the carbs, it will also use any dietary fat and if necessary start on your stored/body fat.

I’m small so only 5ft 3 and 9st 6/8 roughly 60kgs I know I can lose more for the bmi but I really don’t want to as I look ill. Not a good look on a 56 year old woman.

more fats I can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak and hankjam

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there @Dollylolly. I just want to give you a big thumbs up you for coming in here and sharing weight stuff. It's not easy I think, because there is just this enormous range of folks and body types with subtley different and enormously different ways our diabetes plays out. And I'm just talking type two even.

I also think a lot about the personal fat threshold 'stuff', and of course in its application to myself, and I have been in here many times discussing the wee ins and outs of it all, and laying my own type two fat-stuff on the line.

And it can be particulary hard for women, too, regarding body weight stuff. And then there are ethnic group differences also that can come on board. (Some ethnic groups have a higher personal fat threshold than others, for instance.)

If you ever start thinking you might be getting too slim - I strongly recommend watching some movies from the 1970s - pre '79, and be blown away by how slender just about everyone is, and pondering the fact that that was our metabolically healthy state - and what macros were normal then, and how we didn't have governmental guidelines like we do today. Puts it into perspective I believe.

Anyway, that is a lead-up to me saying - how are you on tracking your height-waist ratio? Rather than focussing on your BMI. When you say you look ill when you drop below your current bmi of 22.9 i think it is? - I'm not really sure what you mean. Is it the skin thing? I'm a middle-aged woman myself and get the losing elasticity of ones skin as one gets older. it can be a bit - er - disquieting? But I hear you on the getting stronger thing, and going for muscle - that is a good look and very good for our health and fitness, for sure.

I did the figures you provided - and your height waist ratio is .51 - just a bit over what is ideal for metabolic health - (.50 and under, according to this theory), metabolic health rightly being what you are going for. (If I converted the figures correctly.) So in that sense - of getting fat out of around your organs, ie around your waist, you might need to go lower/lose more weight in order to go back into remission. (If the personal fat threshold theory does indeed hold water.) It would be your very own personal fat threshold story of course, if you chose to track and monitor your BGs and your HBA1c along with your waist size? (And forget about modern definitions of 'slim', and bmi and so on.)

It might be a good way to track a path back to remission?

Reactions: zand

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
In my youth I was at my healthiest at 9st 2.

if I go under 9st I look anorexic is what I mean and as I’m older it isn’t a good look at all or it might be me that thinks that.

my waist is 27 so under what the medical professionals want as it’s 31 for some reason, which I do myself as I’ve never been asked at the surgery to be measured. It’s all BMI and height they go by oh and age.

I track daily on an app have done for 2 more years and I track everything even when I over indulge. I also have an app for my BGs too which for me keeps me accountable for me.

I’m still lifting and still trying to find a coach that doesn’t want to throw carbs at me as a lot of them do in my area and don’t understand my lifestyle because of my diabetes and have me like the type 1s when I’m 2

I’ve stopped weighing in weekly as I was becoming obsessed with the numbers.
I’m doing maintenance calories for 9st 5lbs my maintenance by the way as I eat on average 2100 per day and if I don’t I lose weight.

So I’m not far off the metabolic measurement at .01 for height to waist measurements but that doesn’t take into consideration if I lift as I gain muscle just very slowly. Just like the BMI that doesn’t recognise bodybuilders just they say your obese when they are not.

I don’t mind talking of my journey to remission but I need to stay away from Google as it’s all **** doom and gloom being a slim type 2 as we/they do exist with other health risks.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
In my youth I was at my healthiest at 9st 2.

if I go under 9st I look anorexic is what I mean and as I’m older it isn’t a good look at all or it might be me that thinks that.

my waist is 27 so under what the medical professionals want as it’s 31 for some reason, which I do myself as I’ve never been asked at the surgery to be measured. It’s all BMI and height they go by oh and age.

I track daily on an app have done for 2 more years and I track everything even when I over indulge. I also have an app for my BGs too which for me keeps me accountable for me.

I’m still lifting and still trying to find a coach that doesn’t want to throw carbs at me as a lot of them do in my area and don’t understand my lifestyle because of my diabetes and have me like the type 1s when I’m 2

I’ve stopped weighing in weekly as I was becoming obsessed with the numbers.
I’m doing maintenance calories for 9st 5lbs my maintenance by the way as I eat on average 2100 per day and if I don’t I lose weight.

So I’m not far off the metabolic measurement at .01 for height to waist measurements but that doesn’t take into consideration if I lift as I gain muscle just very slowly. Just like the BMI that doesn’t recognise bodybuilders just they say your obese when they are not.

I don’t mind talking of my journey to remission but I need to stay away from Google as it’s all **** doom and gloom being a slim type 2 as we/they do exist with other health risks.
I haven’t gained weight but I’ve went back into being a diabetic at 48 strangely. So I’m one of the slim diabetics as I was years ago. I always get the stereotypical comments because of it which really **** well annoys me even today it annoys me.

I’m waiting on the call for go back on the dapagliflozin or something else no doubt for a few months.

So I’ve dusted myself down from my disappointment and reduced the carb load again. As I was checking back on my app and some days I was eating 170g of carbs :eek: that isn’t low carb but in the past my doc says it is as normally we eat over 230g per day, so I’ve reduced.

my problem now is I don’t want to lose any more weight but if I go below 100g I do. I’ve been Googling on how to combat that and it looks like I’m going to have to up the weight lifting.

so wish me luck on getting back down into remission or even pre diabetic in 3 months as I think that’s when I’ll be seen again.
I can really commiserate with you. I too am a slim type 2 and don't want to lose any further weight. I have BMI of 20 and like yourself don't want to get scrawny. Have been reducing carb intake and increasing exercise over the 8 years since diagnosis as well as taking more meds. It certainly makes me feel despondent, I do so admire those who can stick to a keto diet but it isn't a sustainable option for me. Sorry I have no magic answer just wanted you to know you are not alone...keep plodding on I guess.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m small so only 5ft 3 and 9st 6/8 roughly 60kgs I know I can lose more for the bmi but I really don’t want to as I look ill. Not a good look on a 56 year old woman.

more fats I can do.
Hello o @Dollylolly !
I am a PT but most of us may not be clued up on the low carb approach as rather like GPs, nutritional training is non eexistent and so tends to end up being that trainers' personal opinion of what works for them.
In general if you can find an open minded person who will listen to you rather than recommending a one size approach then that will bode well for their coaching.
And yes you can train fasted or fuelled by eggs and bacon or whatever carb load you have adapted to to keep your bgs in the right place.
As a previous poster has said its about adding muscle for strength so that you function and look better into middle age. And yes skinny with not much muscle isn't good.
Hopefully taking dietary measures might mean you don't have to go back on to an sglt2 inhibitor.
Snacking on cheese and nuts may be good strategy to keep you being fuelled by the fat you eat rather than your own body fat.....Butter coffee etc.!!! All the things we tell those people who want to lose weight to be careful about basically.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI @Dollylolly, first well done for reducing your Hb1Ac and losing 15 kg,
if I understand correctly, your are worried as your HbA1c has been creeping up to 48 again
You are also worried about losing more weight.

This looks like a manageable issue, as you have already
reduced your HbA1c to prediabetic levels and now want to sustain it.
Do you have a blood sugar meter? If not, I suggest to get one
as this will allow you to find out yourself which foods you can tolerate.
This will make it easier to sustain or reduce blood sugar values.
The NHS is reluctant to provide meters, but ask anyway,
be persistent and you might get it, if not,
you can find links to affordable strips and meters on this forum,
If you are worried about losing more weight, make sure your replace
fewer carbs in your diet with fats or protein.
Fats (meat, cheese, yoghurts, olive (oil), nuts) are also satiating,
as you don't want to go hungry.

I am in a similar situation as I've reduced HbA1c and lost weight,
and now want to sustain it. To keep my Hb1Ac and the weight down
I continue to do intermittent fasting, and eat only 600 calories with very few calories for two days a week
This contains lots of vegetables, salads and soups which are filling.