What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll have to keep off my feet as much as possible today so shan't stand around prepping or cooking food.

Later I shall break my fast with a bacon sandwich. I can shove that into the microwave and sit down again and than just cut a slice of wholemeal bread.

I have some lamb casserole in the freezer - saw it when I was looking for something else a day or so ago, and I have some cauli rice to have with it in the fridge = minimal time on my feet and sufficient food for the day.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi is ok to have some days 40 carbs aday then some days I might have 50 or 60 the monst I’d have aday would be 70 carbs but not a lot. What I mean is you don’t have to stick to the same amount every day so you?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi is ok to have some days 40 carbs aday then some days I might have 50 or 60 the monst I’d have aday would be 70 carbs but not a lot. What I mean is you don’t have to stick to the same amount every day so you?

What's important is what those carbs do to your BG. If your 70/50/60/40 carbs a day put your BG higher than you would want it, then you should try to stay below that. There is no rule that makes one-size-fit-all.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jayne1983 i agree with @Annb individual reaction to those carbs is what counts. Some of us need to keep carbs lower than others to keep sugars in check others can tolerate a higher number it’s also not a per day thing as sometimes if eating smaller amounts over several meals the body has less reaction the key is to check your individual reaction to different amounts. Re variation I don’t think that matters provided the larger carb days don’t raise your bgs too much and /or trigger hunger/cravings. Many need to stay at around 20/30 g a day to stay in ketosis/fat burning mode - which can help keep hunger in check. I personally do vary but rarely have more than 10 in one meal it’s what works for me and if yours is working for you that’s what matters.
Back to 2 meals today I always stick to a minimum nightly fast of 16 hours so if need to get out and about early like today I extend my fast to lunchtime so it becomes an 18/20 hour fast instead.
Late lunch two boiled eggs with one slice of lc toast followed by hm yoghurts with spoon of stewed rhubarb
Mid pm four squares of 100% chocolate
Dinner venison steaks wrapped in Parma ham flash fried in butter then while resting cooked mushrooms in meat juices and extra butter added dollop of cream to serve with venison and local asparagus then pudding lc blondie.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Missed yesterday, as had a day doing more sorting of my late parents house, so survived on low carb snacks really, so today back to usual schedule.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: two burgers with cheese and a low carb roll with leafy salad followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes and some mushrooms that tasted like %$%^ for breakfast.
Chicken pie without the lid, lemon cordial with a big scoop of osmolax for smoko.
Nothing for lunch as I had some severe pains in my guts, sick as a dog most of the afternoon.
Small container of pea and ham soup, two slices dry bread for supper at six.

Glass of single malt, two oxycodone 5mg tablets and went to bed early.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing before dance class
11:00 2 soft boiled eggs with 2 slices hm lc soda bread and a bratwurst. Yoghurt with 1 sq dark choc chopped into it.
Another dance class
17:30 cold roast beef with swede cheesy mash and caulifower. 3 sqs dark ginger choc.
20:00 1 glass white wine at book club which is handily held in a pub

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All
Finally got to the end of the baked cauli salad rubbed with ras al hamout (@Yaya10_10 . My tummy is complaining this morning so not sure if it was cauli overload over 3 days or 8 small chilli meatballs that accompanied it last night.
Brekkie yesterday and today slice LivLife toast, lots of tea.
Yesterday lunch was a chicken leg from the hot counter at Sainsburys snaffled in the car far from home. Not sure what todays lunch will be but tum saying go easy so might be a couple of boiled eggs. Supper is due to be Jerk chicken thighs with mixed peppers (more spice, might dial that back) but Mr PM loves it. @Overwhelmed welcome to this happy thread. I love eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms +/- avocado for brunch but usually only happens if we are away and be leisurely

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Took another antibiotic capsule at about 2 am when I got up today. Stomach started fizzing but I kept it down. However, didn't wait an hour before having to take something to settle it down. About 2.45 I had some tea and a cream cracker. Went back to bed around 3.30 and slept on and off until 9.30. Hummed and hawed about whether to take another antibiotic or to eat. Eating won.

Breakfast: sardines in olive oil on a slice of wholemeal toast.

2nd meal will be an attempt at a new idea I've seen on a keto website - cauliflower hash brown egg cups. Not sure how it will turn out, but it's worth a try to have something a bit different.
https://cafedelites.com/cauliflower-hash-brown-egg-cups-low-carb-gluten-free/
Edited to add website for recipe.

Last edited:

RosemaryJackson

Hello. Am sneezing, coughing, blowing my nose frequently and have a headache which makes me think I have a cold! Haven't had one for about 5 years, I always take vitamin D3. I skipped bf and midday had cheese on Livlife toast. Tonight I've had 3 airfried Bratwurst and a fried in butter egg plus 4 squares of 70% chocolate. Don't think I've drunk enough though so will have to put that right. My DIL who lives in Texas is coming to see me on Friday on her way back from Italy and am really looking forward to seeing her. Hope my cold will be gone by then.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome to the thread @Overwhelmed

@finzi1966 missed you by a day - we were originally booked in on 28th but one of our group couldn’t come and the next day suited the rest of us more. Love that place.

@RosemaryJackson what brand of Bratwurst do you buy? I can only seem to find relatively carby versions.

Bit of a ‘picky’ day for my first day back at home/work.

Breakfast was 2 pigs in blankets made with Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages, plus a couple of extra rashers of streaky bacon.

Lunch was air fried chicken wings - coated with lemon pepper.

Dinner was air fried pork belly pieces followed by Fage 0%, extra thick double cream and a few raspberries.
8B0151BB-3175-46F8-B2B4-7FBED5155072.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@RosemaryJackson hope your health improves and that you manage to enjoy the planned visit from your DIL
Brunch two eggs scrambled in butter on a slice of LC toast followed by hm yoghurts and a few strawberries plus a few squares of 100% chocolate
Dinner a few lc seeded crackers whilst finishing cooking then venison meatballs in hm passata and glass of dry red wine followed by lc blondie.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Legs really awful today and that has affected my eating.

Breakfast: wholemeal toast with butter and Marmite - only 2 shuffles from my big chair and very quick so I can sit down again very quickly.

2nd meal: is going to be bacon and cabbage in butter. It's on the hob just now and will be ready shortly. I nearly didn't do this and was tempted just to have a snack of a packet of crisps and leave it at that, but I knew that would be a bad idea so waited for a while to persuade myself that I could use my legs. I don't remember when they were so bad before. If I can't walk in a short time, I'll get Neil to pour the food out onto a plate for me.
I'm assuming a MRI or CT scan would involve a trip to the mainland? As you know I suffer with my legs but it's down to nerve damage from the crash. I'm just wondering if it could be coming from your back?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Breakfast 2 boiled eggs, 2 seeded Ryvita with butter (only as I was doing a work out after)
Lunch - Salmon salad post workout
Dinner - Home made chilli con carne without tomatoes, cauliflower rice.
Now I am stuffed lol :hilarious:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We can have CT Scans here and ordinary Xrays. MRI scans mean a visit to the mainland. My knees went years ago - long before my back. - and the problem has spread upwards and downwards since then. I had Xrays in Stornoway which indicated wear and tear on my knees. I could have had surgery then but felt unable to take up the option and since then, the doctors have ignored it. They have focused on the other health issues they found at the time and so far, I don't seem to be well enough for anyone to think of it again. Either that, or they just gave up on me because of my refusal back then.

At present I have my cauliflower hash brown egg cups in the oven - more than I will be able to use in one sitting so will only put eggs in 2 of them and put them back in the oven. Unfortunately, the mixture (half the amount in the recipe) made 7 cups and they are all in one 12 hole muffin pan so the extra ones will just have to go back in empty. Maybe I can use them tomorrow.