Freestyle Optium Neo Meter discussion

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does any one use a Freestyle Optium Neo Meter because I hate mine? I was told by Freestyle my Freestyle Lite which I have used for 20 years is obsolete and they were sending me the Optium Neo. I hate it because 1) the readings are much higher than the Freestyle lite by as much as 1.0 2) The strips are fiddly to open 3) It gives me Error 3 and a wasted strip if I don't give it enough blood 4) The meter and case is larger than the Freestyle lite. 5) My fasting numbers are in the late 7's instead of 6's 6) It can give me wildly different readings from the same blood sample but a different strip
Typical at lunch time new meter 6.4 old meter 5.5 and I won't eat unless my meter reads under 6.

I have done some research and apparently the new meters test plasma blood and can read 10-15% higher than the older meters which read whole blood. However I phoned Freestyle and no one could give me that information or could tell me where to obtain it. If it is reading plasma blood then I would know to adjust my brain to accept higher readings!!

Can anyone comment who is using a Freestyle Optium meter please?

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using the Freestyle Optimum Neo for years and love it.
I have not compared my numbers with another meter because I know all meters have an error tolerance of around 15% so one may be 15% higher and the next 15% lower. And values vary by finger all the time. The precision of the numbers gives a false impression of the accuracy.
I ditched the case as soon as I got it. For me, it is unnecessary bulk. I can carry a meter and a strip of test strips in my bag or pocket with a lancet device.
It is also fantastic because it can also test ketones so I don't need to carry two meters with me. Ability to test ketones is very important for me as a Type 1 managed via an insulin pump.

A couple of things I dislike
- more rubbish with the individually wrapped test strips. But this is outweighed by the reduced size compared to carrying a tube of strips around with me all the time.
- when the battery gets low it can just stop with little notice. Once I became aware of this, I just carry spare batteries with my diabetes kit.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like the Freestyle Optium Neo either. I have arthritis in my hands and have problems opening the test strips. They need more blood than the Freestyle Lite did. If I drop the strip or meter before getting enough blood on the strip, the meter times out before I can add more blood and complete the test. I agree that the meters test higher than the Freestyle Lite did. I only use them because I was given them free. If anybody can recommend something which works, where the strips are not in foil packets, I would be grateful. I now have to carry around scissors.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like the Freestyle Optium Neo either. I have arthritis in my hands and have problems opening the test strips. They need more blood than the Freestyle Lite did. If I drop the strip or meter before getting enough blood on the strip, the meter times out before I can add more blood and complete the test. I agree that the meters test higher than the Freestyle Lite did. I only use them because I was given them free. If anybody can recommend something which works, where the strips are not in foil packets, I would be grateful. I now have to carry around scissors.

Sounds like you have the same problems as me . I also have osteoarthritis in my hands so I understand exactly your difficulties. I waste strips because I get an Error 3 when I don't get enough blood on the strip first time. I was also sent the meter and told the Freestyle lie was obsolete.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I used to love my freestyle lite, but had to stop using it when I came to New Zealand because the health system here just uses caresens meters, which definitely read higher than the lite did, probably by about 1 (sigh).

Looks like you can still buy the lite meters and strips online though... presumably not through Abbott???

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using the Freestyle Optimum Neo for years and love it.
I have not compared my numbers with another meter because I know all meters have an error tolerance of around 15% so one may be 15% higher and the next 15% lower. And values vary by finger all the time. The precision of the numbers gives a false impression of the accuracy.
I ditched the case as soon as I got it. For me, it is unnecessary bulk. I can carry a meter and a strip of test strips in my bag or pocket with a lancet device.
It is also fantastic because it can also test ketones so I don't need to carry two meters with me. Ability to test ketones is very important for me as a Type 1 managed via an insulin pump.

A couple of things I dislike
- more rubbish with the individually wrapped test strips. But this is outweighed by the reduced size compared to carrying a tube of strips around with me all the time.
- when the battery gets low it can just stop with little notice. Once I became aware of this, I just carry spare batteries with my diabetes kit.

Thanks for you interesting observations. I would have thought that a reliable reading would have been more important to you as a Type 1 than me so you can get your insulin accurate. Yes I notice it can test ketones but I don't need this. All I want is a simple reliable meter. Thanks for the information about the battery.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love my freestyle lite, but had to stop using it when I came to New Zealand because the health system here just uses caresens meters, which definitely read higher than the lite did, probably by about 1 (sigh).

Looks like you can still buy the lite meters and strips online though... presumably not through Abbott???

I still have a stock of 1 unopened tub of strips and about half of another which I am keeping to check when the new meter gives me what I think is a ridiculously high reading. I only manage my inherited type 2 to an HbA1c at prediabetic levels by keeping to a very strict diet . I have been taking 1 metformin a day a breakfast for the last year so my bs goes low enough 5 hours after to eat lunch. My medical records say I have impaired glucose tolerance .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for you interesting observations. I would have thought that a reliable reading would have been more important to you as a Type 1 than me so you can get your insulin accurate. Yes I notice it can test ketones but I don't need this. All I want is a simple reliable meter. Thanks for the information about the battery.
Yes, a reliable reading is important which is why I have test solution and am confident that the reading is within 15% as required.
I guess it is possible that your old meter was reading low and you never knew.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, a reliable reading is important which is why I have test solution and am confident that the reading is within 15% as required.
I guess it is possible that your old meter was reading low and you never knew.

I think not because it tallies a better with my HbA1c than the Optium Neo. This is why I wonder about if it is testing Plasma rather than whole blood which is probably what the Lite was testing!! I wish I could find a way to find out about this as it would explain the differences and tell me o get my mindset used to seeing higher readings. I have another HbA1c in July. My fasting numbers increased as one would expect after Covid in December and never returned down to what hey were previously.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/ima...hite_Paper__Clinical_FreeStyle_Optium_Neo.pdf
It was tested against the latest ISO standard and found to met the requirements. The test was measured against plasma equivalent assay values.
My NEO was better than the XCEED meters I had been using. I was forced to switch to a Caresense Dual because the freestyle strips did not meet the NHS purchasing criteria. In parallel testing the two meters tracked well.
The NEO is a standard home meter but is a bit dated. The Caresense has a better and larger display, and is not so hungry on the sample taking. The battery in the Caresense seems to last longer too.

Your observation on the foil packets is valid, and the reason they are individually wrapped is that the technology used in the NEO is sensitive to moisture which can affect the accuracy.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Oldvatr and EllieM