Went crazy with carbs but low BG

Drfarxan

Hello guys hope you are all good,

I use a keto diet and for sometime i have been in ketosis even bought a ketometer to make sure. But for the past 3 days i decided to let my self go for the first time in a long time. I ate HALF a large cake and eat it again in the second day(then lost the appetite for cake pretty quickly my body was just crying from some heavy cream instead :)) there were birthdays and holidays.
I am used to not eating breakfast only had milk coffee but for launch ate alot of rice with lamb and dinner some meat and wheat flag bread and desert. The same amount of high carbs food the whole 3 days.

It was an experiment really just wanted to see how ill tolerate it. So checked my BG in the morning and 2 hours after eating,to my suprize it never went about 120 mg/dl(highest 117.) or 6.7 %.

Another curious thing when i was in ketosis because of the dawn phenomenon i think my BG was higher(btw 5.2 and 5.7). These past 3 days my morning BS is 4.5 and 4.8.

When i was first diagnosed 2 years ago my BG use to go all the way upto 300mg/dl or 16.7%. As of today i am going back to my LCHF or keto diet but i just wanted to share the improvement of my insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance with you guys.

I am happy about the result and i think after a few years on LCHF diet and more body weight loss ill even do a OGTT. I don't think ill ever stop my LCHF diet(i enjoy it),ill even add more protein the older i get but nice to know that when invited for dinner ill be able to tolerate the carbs that most people eat.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's both a wonderful & dangerous thing.
I got to a stage where if I ate raw naked carbs, say cola bottles, that my BG would be lower @ 2 hours than if I'd eaten a low carb chicken salad.
Fear of carb creep keeps me on the straight & narrow.
I also feel a lot better after a 100g carb day than a 200g carb binge.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you work the same way I do these days - you will find that for the next week or so you'll be carrying those carbs as extra weight.

Drfarxan

It's both a wonderful & dangerous thing.
I got to a stage where if I ate raw naked carbs, say cola bottles, that my BG would be lower @ 2 hours than if I'd eaten a low carb chicken salad.
Fear of carb creep keeps me on the straight & narrow.
I also feel a lot better after a 100g carb day than a 200g carb binge.
I also felt bad,sleepy and hungry all the time.I still do today.
I noticed that you were first diagnosed you were prediabetic 6.9( i think these days prediabetes is between 5.7-7) could that be the reason you managed to reverse yours so successfully?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also felt bad,sleepy and hungry all the time.I still do today.

Feeling bad & sleepy is probably down to rapid BG falls after eating carbs, continual rollercoaster.
Being hungry is probably down to not eating enough fats & proteins.
Learning that fat is not the enemy is a big part of the journey.

I noticed that you were first diagnosed you were prediabetic 6.9( i think these days prediabetes is between 5.7-7) could that be the reason you managed to reverse yours so successfully?

Think you're mixing up FBG & HbA1c there but I take your point.
I remember reading pre 1997 diabetes was diagnosed with an FBG of 7.8mmol/L or greater.
The diagnostic threshold was then dropped to 7.0 & pre-diabetes was created, 5.6-6.9.

When A1c was introduced a level of 6.5%(48) was defined as the diagnostic cutoff.

pinkjude

I was doing great on low carb then was on holiday for 2 weeks in Germany staying in hotels with limited choices for breakfast as lots of bread/pastries/ and even though there was fruit it was melon and grapes. I did have boiled egg and chose seeded whole grain bread but I did notice the difference as to how I felt. I tried to eat as healthy as possible but allowed myself ice cream twice on very hot days. On my return last week I weighed 4 pounds more despite all the walking I did and my BG was running high. I am now back to normal eating to lower it again. Lesson learnt for me

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found the same when I was in hospital eating Eatwell (SAD but true)and I too splurged out on my birthday and got low bgl after. But it did not last, and carb creep set in due to 6 months hospital Eatwell and I reverted back to diabetic. I also put on weight so it bit me in the belly. Back in the saddle now, and prediabetic.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My take on it is that by eating low carb you are removing the strain from your system. This means that very occasionally over doing the carbs the system will function more normally as it has had a holiday so to speak. BUT your system will rapidly become stressed again, resulting in rising levels. Eating higher levels of carbs is a very insidious thing, the more we eat the more our systems crave.