Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Often a controversial subject discussing the use of statins but I found this article interesting reading in today's Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/296813

The response from Cancer Research UK is a precautionary one and rightly so as it's early days......''These are laboratory findings and, as the researchers themselves point out, there's a long way to go to find out if they apply to patients.''

philc

I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that the clinical trials referred to in this article will have been funded by one or more of the drug companies, which surprise surprise, manufacture statins. They are extremely clever and devious in getting this stuff out, so be careful.

I stopped taking Atorvastin 2 years ago and I've felt much better without it. Naturally, my total cholestrol reading has risen but so what - there's little real evidence that this causes any increase in the risk of heart disease for healthy people. I regard myself, as a well controlled type 1 diabetic with no previous heart conditions, not overweight and with normal blood pressure to be healthy.

Phil

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
OK thanks for your input Phil !

Welcome to the forum btw :)

glynthincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Statins - It wasn't the cholesterol that raised LDL's it was the sugar that stopped it delivering fat soluble nutrients by glycating the LDL particles.
Statins are biocides. They stop the production of CoQ10, Hormones etc. The crazy thing is that raised LDL is caused by sugar damage to the LDL labels. This causes it to build up in the blood while our organs are starved of fats soluble nutrients. Cholesterol is important to the formation and function of synapses (our memories are made of this! The brain (2% of body weight) has 25% of our cholesterol. Statins cause muscle and memory problems - leave them alone. Metformin on the other hand seems to do very well for T2Ds.
My 3 medical review papers on Cholesterol, Metabolic Syndrome and Dementia are available via my signature web link. I was diagnosed T2D because i was curious to know about my sugar-damage level (HBA1c). Now I'm on a low carb high fat diet and feeling great with a touch of metformin for those social moments when carbs. are hard to avoid!
I wrote a medical paper in defence of cholesterol and it is by implication it is extremely critical of statins.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
If the latest findings are confirmed in clinical trials, it means patients could be given statins to help treat their tumours or even to prevent cancer striking in the first place.

Above quoted directly from the newspaper report

Lets see what 'clinical' evidence arises....

I think that the pharmas are getting desperate, seeing that anybody who has a couple of brain cells left has packed in taking the devils drug statin.

Superchip