Type 1 Libre A1c

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve recently had the best results ever recording on my Libre and blood monitor for staying in range, with the help of a fabulous nurse. So without bothering her…… why is my A1c ‘stuck’ and not coming down? It’s not very motivating. She’s set my range between 5 and 8.5 and I’m managing that 70% of the time. I know there’s a time span for overall readings, but in the past when I’ve managed to get my tests in good order I’ve been rewarded with better A1c’s? I’ve been checking for about a month.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hba1c is an average over three months so you will not see much movement after one month.
Instead of focusing on something slow to move, I would focus on the great work you have done improving your time in range
I have found the hba1c on Libre is very inaccurate. It uses a different method of calculation than blood tests and can be deceiving so have to decided to ignore it and focus on TiR.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Libre for me reads about 1 mmol higher a lot of the time. When I used to only wear a Libre even though I would account for that and dose accordingly I ended up always being higher? When I switched to a Dexcom that you can calibrate, my A1c went down. Obviously even though I thought I was allowing for it enough I really wasn't some of the time? I wear both now as I snorkel and the Libre reads underwater, and while sometimes the newer Libres are more accurate they still will read off a good amount of the time. I compare my Dexcom to my Libre before getting in the water to get an idea. But in the water I mostly look at my trending pattern on the Libre, because when I get out, it be within 1/3 mmol or 1 mmol of my Dexcom. My Dexcom I calibrate to within 1/3 mmol of accuracy.

Reactions: conniecar