What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.6

Well, Mr Magpie came back yesterday for the cat pate, but he was very very nervous, and managed to take a huge chunk back to his nest.

The gingers, The Four Mouseketeers, came in pairs. Ginger #1 (amber eyes), and Ginger #2 (green eyes), took turns watching each other feed.

Then Biscuit, followed by Manky Stray who is always the gentleman and he sat and waited for Biscuit to eat what he needed.

And the BBCat ate not only one four course breakfast, not two four course breakfasts, but three four course breakfasts, and then came back mid morning for more. He is one seriously hungry beast.

I went out this afternoon, to try and create my raised vegetable garden, which is containers on garden chairs. I cannot reach down any more, so I need everything at waist level. Then it began pouring with rain. So I was going to the end of the garden to get some apple mint for a cuppa, but I stopped suddenly because BBCat was asleep right in front of me on my shiny black garden chair.

I went up to see if he was okay, because he was absolutely drenched. He was so sound asleep. So I spoke gently. He raised his head, looked at me, and kept on blinking his eyes very slowly and very deeply at me as though he was moved by someone being kind to him.

I wasn't risking touching or reaching out for him. He might be a gentle giant for all I know, but I'll let him do the approaching...however I kept going out to see if he was okay in all that rain, sleeping in the open.

I was closing up the cat diner, when he came down the garden path. You want some supper, I asked? And I got him another sachet of cat food. But he hid while I went in and got it. Then came out and ate it when I had gone in and locked up.

Well, I have just googled what a slow blink of a cat's eyes mean.
"It’s often been rumored that a cat’s 'slow blink' is its way of saying, “I love you.” It’s even been called a 'cat kiss'! The truth is, we’ll never truly know what’s going on inside a kitty’s brain, but there’s evidence to suggest a cat slowly winking at its human means it trusts its companion.
The slow blink is a demonstration of eye contact without staring, and we interpret this behavior as a sign of relaxation and trust. Some might call that love.
Think of it this way: If a cat closes its eyes around like it’s falling asleep, it’s signaling that it doesn’t view you as a threat. "

So, that was like how it was between me and BBCat. The article goes on to suggest you do it back. I think I was doing it back, but I was speaking softly to him. BBCat is just a big soft pussycat who wants some love. But I wouldn't say I trust him just yet! The last sentence in the article suggests you extend your finger for the cat to sniff...I have no desire for a shredded finger...

Most of his size is an extraordinarily thick black coat. He could be a very thin cat under that. In fact, lying down on that chair he looked surprisingly sunken, if you get me.

Shadow paraded the garden a few times during the day, and kept asking for more food! I gave her all she asked for yesterday. And the gingers kept checking the food diner, so I provided extra for them as well!
Calico is not around at the moment.
It was hard work at gennepher's cat diner yesterday.
Hopefully things will settle today, Saturday...

Creative is the Russian Comfrey flowers again as a kaleidoscope in the Laboscope app. Shadow is on guard.

Can I hope for a more peaceful, less intensive day today?

Time for that coffee...

View attachment 54429
Well the big black cat seems to coming round, he might even have a word with Foxy Loxy should he sneak in. Another smashing Russian Comfrey kaleidoscope

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a bit of a dull start here in the dark and dangerous north
That suits me as I am off down to Birmingham in a wee while to see the Ninky Nonks and Little Miss Pamplemouse. Mrs Miggins is off to Corfu tomorrow with her twin to drink kumquat liqueur and bask in the Ionian sun. Dentist yesterday - they always manage to squeeze a farthing or two out of you. This time it was, “everything is fine but let’s just have a little polish.” Always reminds me of the taste of Gibbs powder but in these times of cutting back and only buying value food like an MP does, it’s probably now Chemico grinding paste with a Parma violet crumbled in. Did you get to cast a vote yesterday? The only casting going on here was off the end of the pier.
Art bit, cor blimey gov, a tree! Have a marvellous day if you can. Best make some koffy.

upload_2022-5-7_6-42-29.jpeg

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did that with Popeye for his last ten years, and carefully saved them all in the cloud @Krystyna23040
There were several occasions when I thought, this is it, but he pulled through again and yet again...
Popeye was a n amazing cat @gennepher. It is so good that you have all those photos safely stored.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on a bit of a dull start here in the dark and dangerous north
That suits me as I am off down to Birmingham in a wee while to see the Ninky Nonks and Little Miss Pamplemouse. Mrs Miggins is off to Corfu tomorrow with her twin to drink kumquat liquor and bask in the Ionian sun. Dentist yesterday - they always manage to squeeze a farthing or two out of you. This time it was, “everything is fine but let’s just have a little polish.” Always reminds me of the taste of Gibbs powder but in these times of cutting back and only buying value food like an MP does, it’s probably now Chemico grinding paste with a Parma violet crumbled in. Did you get to cast a vote yesterday? The only casting going on here was off the end of the pier.
Art bit, cor blimey gov, a tree! Have a marvellous day if you can. Best make some koffy.

View attachment 54430
A busy day for you today @dunelm
Have a great time!
Arty bit - Love the tree!

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be stuck on 6.0 at the moment. Archie is much better this morning and walked down the stairs unaided.

We discovered our boiler is leaking yesterday. It still works ok thank goodness. It had only just been serviced. Should be repaired on Monday.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, I use those terms loosely, please feel free to be offended if you feel left or right out:).
Bloods this morning were a straight 6, that is 6.0
Here in Tilehurst Towers we have a man arriving soon to seal, no not the aquatic mammal the top shed roof, the lure of vegan bacon sarnies, tea and payment has proved strong, he is a known entity, unfortunately for him we are an unknown entity to him.
Stay safe all and I hope the man on the roof stays safe also. Now I must depart and stare longingly at the bacon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all on a gloomy morning here at the junction of Breckland and The Fens ™. The outrageous readings from Swipey continue which is no surprise since Elsie was never designed for this scenario. The salmon and Avo salad was sensational yesterday - extra skin was a bonus. @dunelm thanks for the tree and have a safe journey then enjoy a fabulous time with those children. @gennepher amazing tales of The Bungalow Garden/Diner with magical names - BBCat :) Thank you for another sensational kaleidoscope. @Krystyna23040 hug for higher fbgs lately and the leaking boiler. @alf_Josiah my heart goes out to Shedman. Two potentially tricky tasks today then an almost certainly harrowing time watching Spurs be very Spursy later. The Three Degrees summed up my wish for you all - Take good care of yourself.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.25am FBG 6.0
Not hungry, didn't fancy hot drink, had glass of water
10.35 FBG 4.8 oh wow!
Still not hungry, but had cup of tea.
Life has changed, I am now doing school run four days a week. Our youngest guest now enrolled at kindergarten. Decision to start with mornings only caused considerable resistance in child, so full days next week. She doesn't seem at all bothered by language barrier.
Her older brother has unfortunately contracted chicken pox and has been very poorly while we were away. Typical! So his entry into school system is delayed. Likewise is possibility of them leaving for independent living.
Our guests reported piglets in the garden and were therefore too scared of momma pig( possibly wild boar) to harvest any of the salad from there. How come all this all happens while we are absent?
Also while we were away the moles have invaded again. They are targeting my vegetable beds. Lots of seedlings have been uprooted and it's hard to distinguish the rows now. Am once again considering if it would be sensible to give up attempts to grow vegetables in garden and just have pots. We have had little rain here for weeks, none expected for 10 days at least so have started to use washing up water for plants.
Trying to be positive, so far no ants in kitchen. Sadly swallows have flown past, ignoring the nests and owl box remains vacant.
There was a brief visit by a hare yesterday, it was lovely to see one close up. Ears were constantly twitching and swivelling. Have just seen the black restart collecting ants on the driveway.
@gennepher i was surprised to read you put food out for fox.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi to all on a gloomy morning here at the junction of Breckland and The Fens ™. The outrageous readings from Swipey continue which is no surprise since Elsie was never designed for this scenario. The salmon and Avo salad was sensational yesterday - extra skin was a bonus. @dunelm thanks for the tree and have a safe journey then enjoy a fabulous time with those children. @gennepher amazing tales of The Bungalow Garden/Diner with magical names - BBCat :) Thank you for another sensational kaleidoscope. @Krystyna23040 hug for higher fbgs lately and the leaking boiler. @alf_Josiah my heart goes out to Shedman. Two potentially tricky tasks today then an almost certainly harrowing time watching Spurs be very Spursy later. The Three Degrees summed up my wish for you all - Take good care of yourself.
Thanks @ianpspurs
:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
8.25am FBG 6.0
10.35 FBG 4.8 oh wow!
Life has changed, I am now doing school run four days a week. Our youngest guest now enrolled at kindergarten. Decision to start with mornings only caused considerable resistance in child, so full days next week. She doesn't seem at all bothered by language barrier.
Her older brother has unfortunately contracted chicken pox and has been very poorly while we were away. Typical! So his entry into school system is delayed. Likewise is possibility of them leaving for independent living.
Our guests reported piglets in the garden and were therefore too scared of momma pig( possibly wild boar) to harvest any of the salad from there. How come all this all happens while we are absent?
Also while we were away the moles have invaded again. They are targeting my vegetable beds. Lots of seedlings have been uprooted and it's hard to distinguish the rows now. Am once again considering if it would be sensible to give up attempts to grow vegetables in garden and just have pots. We have had little rain here for weeks, none expected for 10 days at least so have started to use washing up water for plants.
Trying to be positive, so far no ants in kitchen. Sadly swallows have flown past, ignoring the nests and owl box remains vacant.
There was a brief visit by a hare yesterday, it was lovely to see one close up. Ears were constantly twitching and swivelling. Have just seen the black restart collecting ants on the driveway.
Great fbg @SlimLizzy. I'm in awe of your kindness to and love for those guests. All done out of love for fellow humans. No fanfare, ridiculous rhetorical flourishes, false promises and not a vote grabbing photo op in sight. Top, top couple yourself and Mr Slim. Wild boars are dangerous and don't taste particularly special. (Nearly as disappointing as salt marsh lamb IMHO). Huge respect.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8.25am FBG 6.0
10.35 FBG 4.8 oh wow!
Poor chicken pox boy.
Poor you with the mole invasion @SlimLizzy

I was spending so much time with all the fox deterrent strategies. Sometimes they worked, and if they didn't, then fox would take Popeyes's Big Ted off the swing and take him round the garden, and tip my plant pots over, dig up my daffodil bulbs, and a lot more damage. Finally I accidentally forgot to close the cat diner one night, there were a few dried biscuits left over, and I saw Mr Fox eating the left over biscuits in the night. But he didn't move Big Ted, and nor did he cause any other damage.

Then I thought, if fox just eats and then leaves without causing damage, then this is the least time consuming and easiest option for me. So I have been doing that for a month or so now. Fox eats my scraps, and any left over cat biscuits. And he leaves my garden alone.

But we now have BigBlackCat, who is stealing Foxy's supper...so what happens now? Maybe BBCat will keep fox out of the garden. Fox won't be expecting a small black panther.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That makes perfect sense @gennepher

No one closes their eyes in the face if an untrustworthy enemy

And I've always done the slow blink back when any cats I'm friendly with do it to me .

Sure you are as aware as I am
But once able to touch a stray, a telling moment is when you can (a good bit down the road, obv)
Gentle grip & tug on that loose skin behind their neck, then release & repeat

Did read it's calming, and if trusted to do it, it's a flashback to mums carrying them as kittens .

Our Belle's liked it, previous adopted strays allowed it, and marley purrs gently if I do it to him

Mind you, all were way beyond a few days of just letting me pet them occasionally.

And we all know that aggressive swipe that comes from out of the blue from any cat that gets fed up being tickled or stroked at any point, no matter how much they seem to purr and love it :woot::wideyed::arghh:

So, wise not to tempt fate

But I do see the beginnings of a beautiful love affair :)

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

And I've always done the slow blink back when any cats I'm friendly with do it to me .

But once able to touch a stray, a telling moment is when you can (a good bit down the road, obv)

Did read it's calming, and if trusted to do it, it's a flashback to mums carrying them as kittens .

Our Belle's liked it, previous adopted strays allowed it, and marley purrs gently if I do it to him

Mind you, all were way beyond a few days of just letting me pet them occasionally.

And we all know that aggressive swipe that comes from out of the blue from any cat that gets fed up being tickled or stroked at any point, no matter how much they seem to purr and love it :woot::wideyed::arghh:

Hi @jjraak
BigBlackCat (I think I am going to need a new name for him if he stays), actually appears friendly towards me. He is accepting I am walking round the garden without him disappearing totally.
His eyes look friendly when I talk with him.

I won't tempt fate. He can do the advances!

It seems possible he will hang around.

Will Shadow and he become friends?

Jojo85

Hello friends,

Fbg over the past few days were 5.0, 5.5, 5.5 and today it was 5.4 at 7am.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. We are celebrating mothers day in aus today. So I will be visiting my mother in law and my mum. I got them a few goodies that I'm sure they will love.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have just googled what a slow blink of a cat's eyes mean.
"It’s often been rumored that a cat’s 'slow blink' is its way of saying, “I love you.” It’s even been called a 'cat kiss'! The truth is, we’ll never truly know what’s going on inside a kitty’s brain, but there’s evidence to suggest a cat slowly winking at its human means it trusts its companion.
The slow blink is a demonstration of eye contact without staring, and we interpret this behavior as a sign of relaxation and trust. Some might call that love.
Think of it this way: If a cat closes its eyes around like it’s falling asleep, it’s signaling that it doesn’t view you as a threat. "

So, that was like how it was between me and BBCat.
So lovely to read that the BBCat really trusts you @gennepher. .The cat (and bird) diner is really going well. Hopefully it isn't costing you a small fortune.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.

Our neighbours cat is one of those sudden swipe cats, we have had to warn our guests about her frequently. Unfortunately since the demise of Errant she is haunting our doorstep.... chicken pox boy has been swiped, so far little girl has avoided claw contact.

Last edited: