Really disappointed at test results

Sad21+

I got blood tests and other tests as I've been unwell. They said I've got low iron and I've had a bladder infection and I needed two different antibiotics.Ive been dealing with high blood sugar for 2 years. I found out I was prediabetic at 28 it was 41. I managed to get it down to 38 and was hoping it would be lower. I got my blood tests it was 40. I'm so disheartened, disappointed and anxious. I exercise more, eat less carbs then last year, added more fibre healthy fats and protein. I eat up to 50-60g of carbs each day. To me this just proves that all of this is hopeless. Clearly I'm not doing enough. It should be lower and it's higher. I'm tired and don't want to deal with this anymore.

Reactions: gowest12

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What exactly are you eating, what type of exercise do you do and what's your ethnicity. The numbers are at the high end of "normal" (like me) so in the green. Some have numbers in the 60's 90's and 100+, so in context, if you went to any doctor, they would say you are non-diabetic - cut yourself some slack. If you are not spiking and stay at this number or below for life, that should work nicely for you.

Your carbs may still be too high if you are eating the wrong types of fibrous foods. You may still have some insulin resistance. You may have long lived red blood cells (my HbA1c is 38 and I have been 35.5, yet my fructosamine (268 to 259) is lower on the 38 than on the 35.5. You might need to dial up or down fat / protein or this might be your homeostasis point. What's your sleep and stress levels like, reducing these will impact diabetic control.

Usually when people say they exercise more, this means more cardio. If this is your case I would split my exercise 75% resistance training to build muscle. Walk for ten minutes after every meal, these 2 are easy wins for lowering blood glucose and spikes.

I would use a CGM to measure before and after meals, exercise and inbetween, then have this community comment on your findings.

Reactions: Outlier and Sad21+

Sad21+

What exactly are you eating, what type of exercise do you do and what's your ethnicity. The numbers are at the high end of "normal" (like me) so in the green. Some have numbers in the 60's 90's and 100+, so in context, if you went to any doctor, they would say you are non-diabetic - cut yourself some slack. If you are not spiking and stay at this number or below for life, that should work nicely for you.

Your carbs may still be too high if you are eating the wrong types of fibrous foods. You may still have some insulin resistance. You may have long lived red blood cells (my HbA1c is 38 and I have been 35.5, yet my fructosamine (268 to 259) is lower on the 38 than on the 35.5. You might need to dial up or down fat / protein or this might be your homeostasis point. What's your sleep and stress levels like, reducing these will impact diabetic control.

Usually when people say they exercise more, this means more cardio. If this is your case I would split my exercise 75% resistance training to build muscle. Walk for ten minutes after every meal, these 2 are easy wins for lowering blood glucose and spikes.

I would use a CGM to measure before and after meals, exercise and inbetween, then have this community comment on your findings.

Thank you for your advice and answer. I'm black . I only eat low carbs foods. No bread,pasta,oats,rice and potatoes. And no cereal. I eat vegetables, handful of berries, nuts and meat. I'm struggling with what I eat now. I make everything from scratch. Only treats are homemade or keto friendly. I avoid certain ingredients like maltodextrin. I'm constantly reading carbs and sugar. I've been doing this for 2 years. I tested so much but I stopped the burnout is real. I go bed hungry, I fast.

Stress levels I don't know. I do have a very stressful life. And I barely get sleep. Tbh I hear you I respect the positive advice and information.

I'm just tired. Thank you very much.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are doing low carb then there should be no need to go hungry, up your protein and healthy fats to fill up?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anaemia (some types) and other blood conditions can effect hba1c. In these situations a fructosamine test (more commonly done of pregnant women) is more accurate but as you are still in the “normal” hba1c range good luck convincing an NHS GP to do one.

Sad21+

Anaemia (some types) and other blood conditions can effect hba1c. In these situations a fructosamine test (more commonly done of pregnant women) is more accurate but as you are still in the “normal” hba1c range good luck convincing an NHS GP to do one.
Yes thank you. I saw that low iron could influence it but clearly I'm not doing good still. I doubt my iron influenced it that much. I just think I failed. Thank you

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Yes thank you. I saw that low iron could influence it but clearly I'm not doing good still. I doubt my iron influenced it that much. I just think I failed. Thank you
If only the human body were this precise - no way have you failed!

Reactions: Sad21+

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low iron levels can make you feel very, very tired very rapidly. If you can get this sorted out, it will give you a terrific boost. Have you been prescribed iron tablets ?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you for your advice and answer. I'm black . I only eat low carbs foods. No bread,pasta,oats,rice and potatoes. And no cereal. I eat vegetables, handful of berries, nuts and meat. I'm struggling with what I eat now. I make everything from scratch. Only treats are homemade or keto friendly. I avoid certain ingredients like maltodextrin. I'm constantly reading carbs and sugar. I've been doing this for 2 years. I tested so much but I stopped the burnout is real. I go bed hungry, I fast.

Stress levels I don't know. I do have a very stressful life. And I barely get sleep. Tbh I hear you I respect the positive advice and information.

I'm just tired. Thank you very much.

It is likely that your HbA1c was taken on a TOSOH assay designed for persons from a caucasian heritage, on this unit my A1c reads 2 points higher as I am also black, which is normal for persons from an Afro background. Ideally you would get measured on a Boronate Affinity assay; to get this I did used a private company Medichecks. What is more important is that you keep spikes low circa 1.5-2.0 mmol/L. You do not need to be hungry. The below meals (15th April) sustained me throughout a day, with 2 bouts of weight training and walking:

Breakfast: Kippers and Butchers burgers, followed by nuts, berries and Greek yogurt
Dinner: Nandos seasoned aired fried chicken and salad, with melted 100% dark chocolate and nuts and pork puffs
The next morning 3.9 fasted blood glucose

Meal and FBG.jpg

Remember any meal can be adjusted to low carb / keto, so I have curries, chilies, lasagna (butter nut squash), crumble (almond flour based), ribs without the gunk etc.

Only severe Covid put me back to 42 (incdiently the same as when I was heavily plant based and 3 hours of exercise) at my January A1c, due to the steroid drugs sending me from 4's to 16 +. I Ketovored through this to get a 40 A1c on the TOSOH and 38 on the Boronate Assay 3 months later (same blood sample with Medichecks)

I did exactly what you did, here's a post of mine that surmises https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-progress-cgm-food-exercise-results.183005/

Now I try to focus on sleep (really so important) and occasional spot checks, so last week I wore a CGM

last weeks CGM.JPG

So while I don't believe the A1c predicted, I know the variance was about right for me.

Whilst I a possibly you have discordant results, variance and a flat-ish glucose graph, count for more. Fasting insulin being less than 6 is recommended by many low carb Doctors (mine is 5.1), low Trigs (fat in the blood stream, mine are between 0.3 and 0.4), high HDL (mine are currently 3), a low HS-CRP (general body inflammation, mine is 0.3), low blood pressure (mine is 120 / either 70 or 72 (can't remember)).

Testing and regime burnout comes to us all. Back off and trust the process. Some of my workouts are now just 20 minutes, 5 of that being a warm-up - then a light, medium and moderately heavy set of giant sets of lifting with no rests and walks after meals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jo123

Sad21+

It is likely that your HbA1c was taken on a TOSOH assay designed for persons from a caucasian heritage, on this unit my A1c reads 2 points higher as I am also black, which is normal for persons from an Afro background. Ideally you would get measured on a Boronate Affinity assay; to get this I did used a private company Medichecks. What is more important is that you keep spikes low circa 1.5-2.0 mmol/L. You do not need to be hungry. The below meals (15th April) sustained me throughout a day, with 2 bouts of weight training and walking:

Breakfast: Kippers and Butchers burgers, followed by nuts, berries and Greek yogurt
Dinner: Nandos seasoned aired fried chicken and salad, with melted 100% dark chocolate and nuts and pork puffs
The next morning 3.9 fasted blood glucose

View attachment 54488
Remember any meal can be adjusted to low carb / keto, so I have curries, chilies, lasagna (butter nut squash), crumble (almond flour based), ribs without the gunk etc.

Only severe Covid put me back to 42 (incdiently the same as when I was heavily plant based and 3 hours of exercise) at my January A1c, due to the steroid drugs sending me from 4's to 16 +. I Ketovored through this to get a 40 A1c on the TOSOH and 38 on the Boronate Assay 3 months later (same blood sample with Medichecks)

I did exactly what you did, here's a post of mine that surmises https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-progress-cgm-food-exercise-results.183005/

Now I try to focus on sleep (really so important) and occasional spot checks, so last week I wore a CGM

View attachment 54490

So while I don't believe the A1c predicted, I know the variance was about right for me.

Whilst I a possibly you have discordant results, variance and a flat-ish glucose graph, count for more. Fasting insulin being less than 6 is recommended by many low carb Doctors (mine is 5.1), low Trigs (fat in the blood stream, mine are between 0.3 and 0.4), high HDL (mine are currently 3), a low HS-CRP (general body inflammation, mine is 0.3), low blood pressure (mine is 120 / either 70 or 72 (can't remember)).

Testing and regime burnout comes to us all. Back off and trust the process. Some of my workouts are now just 20 minutes, 5 of that being a warm-up - then a light, medium and moderately heavy set of giant sets of lifting with no rests and walks after meals.
Thank you I didn't know about the difference in blood due to race. Very fascinating thank you for this.
See I eat just like you do so seeing my results really hurt. I appreciate the links and the tips. I will read it and try and not lose hope. Thank you for being positive and inspiring. It's really hard. Thank you.

Sad21+

Low iron levels can make you feel very, very tired very rapidly. If you can get this sorted out, it will give you a terrific boost. Have you been prescribed iron tablets ?
No my doctor just said buy some from the chemist and take for at least 3 months. Thank you for this advice. I do feel terrible. Thank you

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hang on in there. Bodies do what they do, and the results we want can take longer than we wish. You are doing brilliantly, even if you don't like the timescale. Something similar is going on with me, and I had a despondent few days but now I'm up and at 'em again.

Don't go to bed hungry. You will sleep less well and stress more. Eat those things you can eat, and enough of them. Stress adds to increases in all sorts of fight-or-flight bodily responses. You can't change the stress but you can support your body other ways so that you can withstand it better.

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got blood tests and other tests as I've been unwell. They said I've got low iron and I've had a bladder infection and I needed two different antibiotics.Ive been dealing with high blood sugar for 2 years. I found out I was prediabetic at 28 it was 41. I managed to get it down to 38 and was hoping it would be lower. I got my blood tests it was 40. I'm so disheartened, disappointed and anxious. I exercise more, eat less carbs then last year, added more fibre healthy fats and protein. I eat up to 50-60g of carbs each day. To me this just proves that all of this is hopeless. Clearly I'm not doing enough. It should be lower and it's higher. I'm tired and don't want to deal with this anymore.

Hi- That’s fine. Don’t stress over it

Reactions: Sad21+

Sad21+

Hang on in there. Bodies do what they do, and the results we want can take longer than we wish. You are doing brilliantly, even if you don't like the timescale. Something similar is going on with me, and I had a despondent few days but now I'm up and at 'em again.

Don't go to bed hungry. You will sleep less well and stress more. Eat those things you can eat, and enough of them. Stress adds to increases in all sorts of fight-or-flight bodily responses. You can't change the stress but you can support your body other ways so that you can withstand it better.
I'm happy to hear your feeling better and fighting. I'm trying not to give up but it's all too much. I'm on edge my mum is type 2 as well and it's tiring.

Yes I know but can't eat lost appetite but maybe that's a good thing I'm overweight.
Yes my sleeping is terrible and I'm constantly stressed. I know I need to work on that. Thank you for your kindness and generosity and help. It's very much appreciated. Wish you wellness

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, just to add to all the useful advice, if you take iron supplements whether as spray, liquid or tablets remember to have Vitamin C at the same time. Iron cannot be absorbed and utilised without it. Also, as your HbA1c readings do not vary much, this could be the norm FOR YOU. Given that your Mum has Type 2 I can understand your concerns but so far you have not technically reached the prediabetes stage. However lack of sleep, stress, your ethnicity and iron deficiency could all be big contributors to slightly raised blood glucose levels! Please try not to worry about this too much.

Sad21+

Hi, just to add to all the useful advice, if you take iron supplements whether as spray, liquid or tablets remember to have Vitamin C at the same time. Iron cannot be absorbed and utilised without it. Also, as your HbA1c readings do not vary much, this could be the norm FOR YOU. Given that your Mum has Type 2 I can understand your concerns but so far you have not technically reached the prediabetes stage. However lack of sleep, stress, your ethnicity and iron deficiency could all be big contributors to slightly raised blood glucose levels! Please try not to worry about this too much.
Thank you for responding and being so kind and helpful. I never knew that about iron. My mum has to take it so now I'm going to give her with vitamin c. Thank you for this.

As for this being the norm for me that's a scary though and sad. But I think you are right. Yes I haven't reached it but I will eventually. I was 41 then 38 now 40. It's only a matter of time. Yes thank you for explaining this I understand now there are contributing factors as well. Thank you for your help. It's appreciated.