Type 2 Coffee

ThoseRainyDays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m looking for a little advice on coffee/sweeteners as I’m getting a little confused!

I’ve read some articles that state coffee can spike type 2 diabetics bg but then I’ve read others which state coffee is good for type 2’s.

I personally use Silver Spoon Sweeteners which are 1-2g carbs for 2-3 tablets.

I tested my bloods this morning (before eating or drinking anything) and they were 5.2, I tested again just over 2 hours later following a coffee and they’d jumped to 7.0. Concerned with the figure, I washed my hands and redid the test, 6.6.

I suppose I have a few questions:

Is a jump between 1.4 – 1.8 normal after a coffee?
Even after 2 hours?

If not:

Could this be the coffee?
Is it more likely the sweetener? (I know it’s only 2ish carbs but am I missing an ingredient that can spike sugars?)

Apologies if I'm missing something really obvious or this is normal and I'm worrying for no reason!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ThoseRainyDays The reason you read conflicting information about the affect of coffee on blood sugars is that we are all different.
Some people find caffeine can cause a spike. Some people find it doesn't.

Is a spike normal after coffee? Normal doesn't really matter. What matters is what happens to you.
Is the spike due to the coffee or the sweeteners? Maybe. We all react differently which is why the recommendation is to test yourself.

Out of interest, did you have your coffee early in the morning? I ask because another reason for the rise could be Foot on the Floor. Some of us find our livers dump glucose as we get up to give us the energy we need to go hunting and gathering.

It is worthwhile familiarising yourself on all things that can affect blood sugars. It is not just food.

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

ThoseRainyDays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ThoseRainyDays The reason you read conflicting information about the affect of coffee on blood sugars is that we are all different.
Some people find caffeine can cause a spike. Some people find it doesn't.

Is a spike normal after coffee? Normal doesn't really matter. What matters is what happens to you.
Is the spike due to the coffee or the sweeteners? Maybe. We all react differently which is why the recommendation is to test yourself.

Out of interest, did you have your coffee early in the morning? I ask because another reason for the rise could be Foot on the Floor. Some of us find our livers dump glucose as we get up to give us the energy we need to go hunting and gathering.

It is worthwhile familiarising yourself on all things that can affect blood sugars. It is not just food.

Yes I'm aware of and have taken the time to try and educate myself on the numerous things that can spike blood sugars but wasn't aware of coffee until this morning (other than what you add i.e. Milk, sugar etc). Prior to my research this morning, coffee was always listed as "OK" as I don't have milk and the sweetener is low carb.

I got up at 6.20am
Bloods at 6.32am - 5.2mmol
Coffee at 6.40am
Bloods at 8.42am - 7.0 and then 6.6mmol

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different, but the timing might be relevant for you. I have my first coffee after my morning walk, and after drinking a glass of water. It doesn't appear to affect my BG but does affect blood pressure at times. I drink coffee black or with cream, no sweetener, several hours before I eat (I do intermittent fasting).

ThoseRainyDays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both. It's interesting to know it may be the dawn/foot on floor phenomona, I mistakenly thought that would show in my first bloods of the day!

I was diagnosed in March so there's still a lot I need to learn but that will come in time as I learn what does and doesn't work for me. I have to say these forums have been so helpful in getting to grips with what I need to do. When I was diagnosed, my diabetic nurse just told me to go to Diabetes UK and ask her any questions in my follow up.

I'll test the coffee/sweetener combination at different times of the day to exclude the dawn effect and then will remove the sweetener to see if that has an affect too. I fear I may have panicked a little as I've managed to keep my bloods in the 5's or 6's for the last month, apologies.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
It could just be that some time between 6:20 and 8:40 your liver decided that as you hadn't eaten yet maybe you needed some of your stored glucose. A good dollop of cream in your coffee would more than likely have convinced your liver that no extra glucose was needed.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
N=1 is always difficult. It would take a number of days testing with and without coffee a couple of minutes after your first test to see if the normal trend is to increase BG without the coffee input.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a milky coffee in the morning, but after I've been up at least 1.5 hours. Since I switched to full fat milk I use much less milk, plus the fat slows any sugar peak and spreads it so not its as high.
No sweetener for me, but maybe you should try erythritol or stevia instead?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I mean, I suppose a pertinent question to ask is how does that compare with your readings when you don't drink coffee?

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Some people find that sweeteners produce a spike. Also, depending on how strong your coffee is, the stimulant effect of caffeine could also cause a spike. As suggested you could experiment with different sweeteners or with decaffeinated coffee.

Reactions: ThoseRainyDays

ThoseRainyDays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the advice, it's been incredibly useful and having a plan of action has set my mind at ease a little.

I'll be going without coffee for a few mornings to see if I still get the spike and will try removing/changing the sweetener after to see what effect that has, it could be a combination after all.

I usually have my coffee black but I'll definitely experiment with cream/full fat milk to see if it can reduce the spike caused by dawn/foot on floor (if the spike is caused by that).