Type 1'stars R Us

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @Antje77

I have not seen you in a while,

hope you are ok and not been kidnapped by a pirate as you are a sailor ( if I am not mistaken) :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @Antje77

I have not seen you in a while,

hope you are ok and not been kidnapped by a pirate as you are a sailor ( if I am not mistaken) :D
No pirates!
But yes sailing and having to use my phone for the forum. I loathe typing and reading on my phone so I've just been having a peek at the forum now and again.

Picture of the first day, after that it got very windy and the sailing was spectacular!

Attachments

• 20220509_183118.jpg
    20220509_183118.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 91

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No pirates!
But yes sailing and having to use my phone for the forum. I loathe typing and reading on my phone so I've just been having a peek at the forum now and again.

Picture of the first day, after that it got very windy and the sailing was spectacular!

Take care, i just wanted to make you smile.

Nice pic.

Good morning everyone

Reactions: Marie 2

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,

is anyone on a MDI not on a pump?

if yes, what is your main reason for not using a pump.?

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my reasons : I am not sure how I can handle something stick on me

the other reason I live in a hot country and lots of concern of my insulin might get affected.

and I am too scared of hypos because of lots NovoRapid

started with a reason

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,

is anyone on a MDI not on a pump?

if yes, what is your main reason for not using a pump.?

I am!

Mind, my reasons are personal to me, I know for many people a pump improves their quality of life by a lot, it's just not for me!
You might want to post your question as a thread of it's own instead of as a reaction to a long standing chatty thread. This way it will only reach the followers of this thread, if you post it as a new thread with an appropriate title it will be easy to find for others.

I have multiple reasons. I guess the main one is that I'm doing well on MDI. If I weren't, I might be interested in seeing if a pump would work better for me.

Another reason for me is that I don't like the idea of some computer program telling me what to do (I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed by my car navigation telling me to turn left or right, so I've set it to a language I don't understand... :facepalm:).

Many pumps work with ratio's, mine change a lot throughout the weeks: I may need 5 units today for the exact same breakfast which needed 10 units last week. So using pump ratio's makes less sense than using my own brain.

If a pump or site malfunctions you'll rise very high very quickly. On MDI you'll always have your basal insulin still.
and I am too scared of hypos because of lots NovoRapid
The basal function of the NovoRapid in a pump isn't more likely to give you hypos than a basal insulin.
More likely the opposite, a pump lets you control the basal on an hour to hour basis instead of having just 1 or 2 injections to deal with your basal need throughout the day.
On a pump, you're likely to be able to adjust to have less hypos, not more!

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother I thought at first, did I lose a day??? It happens with retirement!

@Yaya10_10 I hadn't wanted to mess with the tubing of a pump and resisted a pump for years until I heard about Omnipod, a patch pump system. Then I was all in. I use a lot less insulin on a pump because it allows more exact dosing. It was funny, my endo when she told me about it, told me here's what it looks like and then starts patting all over her body to find where it was. I find myself doing the same thing now lol.............you forget where it is. But I wear a patch pump, I'm just not enthused about having tubing.

I think you are less likely to have hypos with a pump, because instead of giving a shot or two to cover the food you eat. You can give a small amount before, an amount when you eat and an adjustment later if needed all with a press of a button. I know on MDI I was likely to only give one shot to cover, maybe a second one and then making sure I ate what I took bolus dosing for. And you can change your basal rates. I have the highest dosing starting in the am and then I have the lightest dosing starting in the evening through most of the night .

Most insulin is a lot hardier than you think. I know some people say fiasp is touchier with heat. But Humalog and Novalog are pretty hardy. Body temperature is fine. If you want to test outside temperature. Put some in a syringe and carry it everywhere you go for a few days and then use it and see! You can even tape it to your body to see. I know I leave my Humalog in a car without any cool packs all the time and I know people that leave Novalog in their car. But our temperatures could be different than yours. so testing carrying it around would let you see.

There are downsides. It can be costlier if your supplies aren't covered. The biggest downside is you can get failures, in my case pods, which can be the same as insertion failures with a tubed pump. Your levels can go up fast. I have alerts from my Cgm, but sometimes you don't know if it's your pump yet or a misjudge of dosing? I change mine out pretty quickly. but it still can catch you. But insertion/pod failures are a thing that happens.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning, pumpers and others.
Good morning Karen.
I wish I had slept through Thursday, feel as though I’ve been caught up in a fight and slogged about the jaw this morning. It’ll pass. New teeth will eventually be screwed in.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Karen, my watch, the splendid but sometimes temporally scatty watlaa, had added a month, three days and two hours to the ‘real’ time this morning. It’s June already! I only caught it because the watch said 09.12 but the phone basal alarm hadn’t gone off.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I thought it was just me that hated the bossy voice on a sat nav
We’ve turned the voice off completely. You don’t actually need it on ours as the instructions for directions appear right above the steering wheel when action is required.

Reactions: Antje77

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Karen, my watch, the splendid but sometimes temporally scatty watlaa, had added a month, three days and two hours to the ‘real’ time this morning. It’s June already! I only caught it because the watch said 09.12 but the phone basal alarm hadn’t gone off.
And i thought i was bad adding a day

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I thought it was just me that hated the bossy voice on a sat nav
We’ve turned the voice off completely. You don’t actually need it on ours as the instructions for directions appear right above the steering wheel when action is required.
Mine is on the window so the instructions are easy to see. But I don't notice unless I'm alerted I need to change directions shortly. :facepalm:
Having it set to a foreign language nicely solves the problem: I hear it tell me something which alerts me to look at the screen without getting annoyed by some mechanic know-it-all telling me what to do! :hilarious: