Am I crazy?

WendyAF

Is it just me, I’m newly diagnosed, but I am really grieving for food, I’m in deep mourning for the comfort and support I felt with the foods I loved, almost like the world is spinning around me and there is nothing to hold on to….am I alone..?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it's not just you. I went through that too. In time you begin to love the foods you can eat and the feeling they give you when you know they are healing you.

70% dark chocolate helped me. Just one or two squares a day was plenty. I worked my way up to 99% which has an even lower carb content.

Raspberries and cream, or just coffee and cream also help me.

After a while you find new comfort foods, so don't despair.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@WendyAF When diagnosed I was just so glad to be able to drop the high carb foods which I had been told were so healthy and get back to eating things which I find give me energy and don't make problems for me.
You might like to look up some low carb recipes for cakes and buns, or make some hearty dishes such as cauliflower cheese to replace things you now need to avoid.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat
D

Deleted member 543160

I was actually a bit like @Resurgam in that it was a blessed relief to discover what was too many carbs causing my problems, and by reducing them back down I could improve my health and wellbeing. However, I really did resent needing to avoid some favourite foods. so I concentrated on the foods that I could still enjoy and generally found low carb alternatives too. My biggest pleasure was discovering low carb baking!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the foods I loved,

Depends on the foods you loved and whether they loved you back or whether you were in an edible abusive relationship..
I love meat and eggs so now find my diet is extremely palatable and helps put T2 into remission.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it just me, I’m newly diagnosed, but I am really grieving for food, I’m in deep mourning for the comfort and support I felt with the foods I loved, almost like the world is spinning around me and there is nothing to hold on to….am I alone..?
There are a few things I miss. Pizza, porridge, bread, chips, that sort of thing. Not being able to snack when out and about (unless I travel prepared) is a bit of a bore. However eating pizza, porridge etc gave me diabetes and some interesting and unpleasant T2 symptoms. As I have a choice I choose not to eat the things I like that make me sick.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I sympathise entirely and remember feeling confused, resentful and, for a while, paranoid about eating carbohydrate. I couldn't imagine curry without rice or going without a warming plate of risotto on a cold winter's night. I also worried about the impact on my social life. However, I also couldn't imagine my future without my eyesight or my mobility! So the answer became about replacing high carbohydrate meals with high protein meals and continuing to eat enthusiastically and enjoyably but differently. It just took time to accept and adjust. Grieving is part of that process and you will get through it!

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’re not crazy. I went through (and still going through) the same thoughts and feelings. It gets better and you learn to love new foods (second raspberries and cream and dark chocolate, also found low carb sugar free rhubarb custard sweets from Holland and Barrett fill a hole)
You’ll get there!

Julio9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Laziness, bad habits
Understand you so good. I was a huge fan of coffee creamer, but I had to find sugar and sweeteners-free one. Thinking about having this, maybe someone had tried it? Not sure about the composition completely. It is so hard to find alternatives to your favourite food and drinks, because you remember the real taste of food. But we need to care about our health that is why we are here supporting each other. I like the phrase "there is nothing more tastier than feeling healthy", so this is my slogan.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Understand you so good. I was a huge fan of coffee creamer, but I had to find sugar and sweeteners-free one. Thinking about having this, maybe someone had tried it? Not sure about the composition completely. It is so hard to find alternatives to your favourite food and drinks, because you remember the real taste of food. But we need to care about our health that is why we are here supporting each other. I like the phrase "there is nothing more tastier than feeling healthy", so this is my slogan.
Have you tried cream? Even double cream works well if you add some cold water to stop it separating. It tastes luxurious and sweet without having too many carbs and is totally natural

Julio9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Laziness, bad habits
Have you tried cream? Even double cream works well if you add some cold water to stop it separating. It tastes luxurious and sweet without having too many carbs and is totally natural
Thank you for the advice, need to try it

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just enjoying my coffee with cream at the moment. I used to use sugar long ago, then changed to sweeteners but these days my taste has altered so I find many things too sweet - recipes for baked low carb things often need no sweetener, or only 1/4 of what is in the ingredients list.
I use a stick blender to whizz up the coffee and cream to make it frothy.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

My experience: if you ARE crazy - so am I! I was diagnosed T2 initially but incorrectly. Tests proved I am LADA, despite low carb diet, and I am now using insulin basal/bolus.
Initially, in a fit of excitement for being able to maybe relax my tightly controlled LC diet, I thought I would reintroduce some beloved carbs such as a comforting bowl of porridge, or a crumpet.
However, what amazed me was that I just didn’t enjoy them like I thought I would. I feel better eating low carb, and that feels better than an old fashioned high carb treat.
So long story short. I too still grieve for those days of carbs and freedom, but I am getting more positive about the things that don’t spike, and finding comfort in those. Strawberries and cream are a bit hit. And I make a mean Keto custard tart for a weekend dessert. You will get to this point too, I’m sure. Maybe head to “All day I dream about food” on Instagram for loads of recipes that can fill the void. Good luck.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @WendyAF and welcome,

How are you going now?

You are definitely not alone. If you read my early threads you will see I had myself a real pity party. It was thanks to the people here that I was able to make the jump to low carb and thrive. I still have a sweet tooth and still love carbs but (and it's a big but) I am doing so much better than before my diagnosis eating very low carb. My asthma is gone.

Welcome!

Reactions: Outlier

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Of course not!
Food is big deal socially, culturally and for some, its an emotional thing.
Brain chemistry means you get to crave the starchy and sweet stuff that gave you a high when you first had it.
If you do change the way you eat your brain chemistry and physiology will change but I think grief is a good analogy in that you won't forget how much you love chocolate /pasta or whatever (its never steak or brocoli) but it will become more tolerable to avoid those things IMO.
I like Jen Unwin's book on this topic. Worth a read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fork-Road-...2&hvtargid=pla-1186724270136&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

LINMARIE

I am just enjoying my coffee with cream at the moment. I used to use sugar long ago, then changed to sweeteners but these days my taste has altered so I find many things too sweet - recipes for baked low carb things often need no sweetener, or only 1/4 of what is in the ingredients list.
I use a stick blender to whizz up the coffee and cream to make it frothy.

O wow like the sound of whizzing in stick blender i am going to give that a try! I still cant get head around real cream in coffee and not that low fat stuff I used to avoid cream lihe plague and stick wuth low fat yoghurt!!! I love these useful tips somebody said previously make your own almond flour and thats what i do now Keep the tips coming

Transistor

If you're having trouble motivating yourself ask yourself, "Which would I rather give up: my favourite foods or my toes?"
It makes the diet feel like a great option!

I got my HbA1c down from 91 to 43 in nine weeks just by eliminating sugar and carbs (grains, pasta, rice and potato). After a further 11 weeks it was down to 41.

Reactions: marathonmona

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not at all.
I go back and forth from grieving for my old comfort foods to grieving because I've fallen off the wagon and eaten one* of them.

*or more