Newly diagnosed and still feeling awful

Mimi1967

Hi
I was diagnosed with type 2 on 6th May. My Hba1c was 120 and blood glucose of 28.2 Didn't have many symptoms other than going to the loo a lot at night. Only went to the GP because of this and after waking 9 times during the night I was so tired I could barely function at work. The diagnosis came as a real shock and I am still coming to terms with it.
I have been prescribed metformin 500mg twice a day at the minute, dapagliflozin once a day and gliclazide twice a day.
I have started a low carb diet which is going quite well. I have lost 10 pounds which I am really pleased about (I have a few stone to shift!!)

I still feel terrible. I am so fatigued that I don't have the energy to anything. I ache everywhere. I am worried about my eye sight as it is a bit blurry although my doctor told me not to worry about that as it will get back to normal when my sugars return to normal. I have been testing before and after meals and over the weekend I haven't tested about 9.7 and most of the time it is around 7 so pretty good I think. I have been signed off work (teacher) and should be going back on Friday.

Is it normal to feel this bad still? I thought by now things would have returned to normal and I would be feeling fine. I am so worried about work as at the minute I can't even think about the classroom! Does anyone remember feeling like this?

Thanks for listening

Caroline

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I would say is that you're 10 days in. You need to be a little gentler on yourself. Getting your BGS from 28 to 7 is incredibly good, and if you keep up the low carbs you'll be at non-diabetic levels in no time. Keep the faith and get yourself another couple of weeks sickness absence if need be.

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ex-teacher here, I know what it's like to worry about your class and the paperwork piling up while you're away BUT take all the time you need. Extra stress from coping badly (due to your tiredness etc.) in the classroom won't help your blood sugar.

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's very normal for someone who has gone from 28 to 7 in such a short space of time.
Your body has to get adjusted again to normal BG, could take a few months.
Imagine the flux it is going through with normalizing BG & huge dietary changes.
Sounds like you have this under control already & will be a future inspiration to others.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Mimi1967 Has anybody mentioned bone broth or electrolytes? when we reduce the carbohydrates we eat we retain less fluid, it gradually gets peed away down to a lower level which is good for problems like water retention or high blood pressure. But that fluid also contains electrolytes: sodium, potassium, magnesium and being lower on those that you are used to can make you feel rotten (often known as Atkins flu or Keto flu). Taking supplements such as 'Lo Salt' and magnesium glycinate will help if that is the case. Warning - don't take the cheaper magnesium citrate because although it contains magnesium it gives you loose bowels (it used to be used as a bowel prep for colonoscopies) and since you are already taking Metformin you don't want anything to add to that problem.

Without knowing more details of what you are eating I can't be sure, but is it possible that you are eating fewer calories than before? It may be the case that you have cut down on carbs but not added enough extra protein and fat into your diet. Don't fear traditional proteins and fats. A low carb way of eating makes most lose weight without consciously cutting back on calories, since it affects the appetite controlling hormones.

MaviesDavies2

The way I found out about being diabetic started with a trip to the opticians with fuzzy eyesight. It took a few weeks on the meds and diet before I realised everything was more in focus again. Give it time.

And I agree with taking a bit more time off, particularly if the idea of returning is stressful and your energy levels are still low. Rest up, eat well, drink loads of water.

You got this!

Reactions: jjraak

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it normal to feel this bad still?

I remember it took me a good few weeks to feel any better - going very low carb initially made my migraines far worse. However I was able to work.

One thing to check is whether you’re getting enough salt and other electrolytes as they can be depleted when going low carb and that would contribute to tiredness.

It would also be worth asking your GP to run a blood panel to see if there is anything else that may be causing you to feel so bad, especially as you have seen a decent improvement in blood sugars.

Mimi1967

Thank you so much for all your helpful replies.
I spoke to the diabetic nurse this afternoon who said he thought I should be feeling better than I am but isn't really concerned that I am not! My blood tests showed nothing else to worry about so he thought it was probably 'just' the diabetes. He has taken me off the gliclazide as he said that often makes people very tired. I need to check that my sugar doesn't rise though.
I am feeling a bit happier having read your replies and spoken to him.
I was especially pleased to read about other people having blurry eyesight and it clearing up. I was quite concerned that it meant I would need new glasses and mine are only a few months old and cost me £600 (not that I am bitter or anything!!!LOL)

Once again, thank you so much for replying.

Caroine

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To echo what everyone else has said, it took me about 4 weeks of low carb and regular testing / adjustments based on the blood sugar results before I felt significantly better physically. You will get there, it took us a while to develop this disease so I guess it’s fair to expect it will take a bit of time to get better? Gliclazide did make me feel very tired too. Luckily thanks to low carb I am now on 1/4 of the dose I was on when I started. I guess it’s a case of trust the process. Best wishes x

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say you are going through exactly what I did; similar levels - see my footer - and eyesight went so bad, I couldn't read or see my screen for 6 weeks, so I was off work but it did get better even though at the time I didn't think it would, and had no support from my diabetes nurse at the time.

I was on insulin for 3 weeks, and after I came off it and increased my Metformin I did feel awful and had loads of headaches whilst everything settled. I think you need to go easy on yourself, it will take a bit of time, avoid the school stress and see how you feel after half term.

Low carb is great, and I am now following Jessie Inchauspe's hacks too.

Good luck, you've come to the right place:)

Reactions: jjraak

Mimi1967

Mrs HJG. Did you do anything about the eye thing or just wait it out? I am really struggling with that.
I wear varifocals and they are no good at the minute. I wonder if I should go to the optician and see if they can help.
The consultant in hospital said not to but I was no where near as bad then as I am now.
I am going back to work on Friday as I am going insane at home….and my class have to take a phonics test in 2 weeks time and I know no one can teach them as well as me!lol. I can see close up but distance is awful. I tried to shop in Tesco this afternoon and it was really horrible.

Thanks,

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally people are advised in the forum not to buy glasses in this transition period as they might not end up the right prescription once the glucose levels in your eyeball have stabilised. (Very cheap readers possibly excepted)

That said however such a rapid change in hba1c can upset the eyes a bit and an eye health check isn’t a bad idea even if new specs should wait.

Mimi1967

Hi
I kind of thought that would be the case. I can read ok, it’s distance I cannot manage. My HAB1C was 120 so I guess it has upset my eyes a bit.
I am not very patient!!

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought about approaching your SMT about going back part-time to start off? Your school does have an obligation to make reasonable adaptations. Putting yourself in an early grave won’t help the newer generations of children you are meant to teach in future years. :)

Reactions: HSSS

Mimi1967

My head is fantastic. She has said that I can go home at lunchtime if I need to. Next week I am not teaching Tuesday afternoon or Thursday afternoon and we are having a jubilee party on the Friday. The week after that is half term so I am hoping I will be ok. If not I will come home. I want to be at school, but I am not risking my health for it!
On a positive note, I have more energy in the last 2 days than I hav3 had in the last month! I think my permanent exhaustion may have been undiagnosed diabetes!

Jasesonix

Hi
I was diagnosed with type 2 on 6th May. My Hba1c was 120 and blood glucose of 28.2 Didn't have many symptoms other than going to the loo a lot at night. Only went to the GP because of this and after waking 9 times during the night I was so tired I could barely function at work. The diagnosis came as a real shock and I am still coming to terms with it.
I have been prescribed metformin 500mg twice a day at the minute, dapagliflozin once a day and gliclazide twice a day.
I have started a low carb diet which is going quite well. I have lost 10 pounds which I am really pleased about (I have a few stone to shift!!)

I still feel terrible. I am so fatigued that I don't have the energy to anything. I ache everywhere. I am worried about my eye sight as it is a bit blurry although my doctor told me not to worry about that as it will get back to normal when my sugars return to normal. I have been testing before and after meals and over the weekend I haven't tested about 9.7 and most of the time it is around 7 so pretty good I think. I have been signed off work (teacher) and should be going back on Friday.

Is it normal to feel this bad still? I thought by now things would have returned to normal and I would be feeling fine. I am so worried about work as at the minute I can't even think about the classroom! Does anyone remember feeling like this?

Thanks for listening

Caroline

I too was recently diagnosed as diabetic. I've been suffering with neuropathy in legs and arms for about 3 months which is why I went to the doctor which resulted in my diagnoses. It has been a few weeks and I'm still suffering apparently it takes time for these things to settle down and get back to normal. We just need patience.
Hi

Thanks for listening

Caroline