How long have you been diabetic?

mroshannon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

First thanks to all of you who post in the forum. It's been quite a huge help in feeling done normalcy to this process.

I go to the doctor tomorrow to discuss my diagnosis further, but have been having panic attacks and really struggling mentally since my blood test confirmed I'm now type 2.

All I see is new risk factors and lowered lifespan and drop in quality of life. I'm only 25 years old currently and I'm terrified of what this means for the rest of my life.

What I think would really help me is to have this question answered: how long have you been living life with diabetes? Especially if you were diagnosed younger.

I need that hope right now that I can live a quality life yet with this disease by knowing that others have; being diagnosed and going in to live for many many more happy years.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, and welcome, @mroshannon . I understand the shock and fear of your diagnosis, but lots of people live very well with T2 by adjusting their diet..
The 17th anniversary of my T2 diagnosis is this week. (Though I am old enough to be your granny). Have managed to avoid complications so far, by losing much excess weight, then following a low carb lifestyle.
One thing you can do to take some control is to get a glucose monitor, and check blood glucose levels at very least fasting level first thing on waking, then immediately before, and two hours after eating. If you record what they are, and what you have eaten, you will be able to determine fthe effects of various foods on your blood glucose levels.

Depending on your blood results your GP will probably prescribe medication. You could try asking him / her for a blood glucose meter too. Though you will possibly need to purchase one.

Come back and post about the doctor consultation, then people can give specific advice and support here. In meantime, keep reading the forums, ask questions. Oh and there is some basic info in my signature beneath the post.
Best wishes.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I was officially diabetic for a short while. But a Low Crab way of eating soon reversed my HbA1C down to pre-diabetic levels and then normal levels.
Being diagnosed as T2 diabetic has provided the impetus for many to completely change their life and health around. I was fairly slim, so that change hasn't bee so big in my case.

Reactions: mroshannon

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Since 2014. Went low carb the next day and have been, officially, in remission for the last 3 years.

Welcome to forum and please keep in touch.

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi all,

First thanks to all of you who post in the forum. It's been quite a huge help in feeling done normalcy to this process.

I go to the doctor tomorrow to discuss my diagnosis further, but have been having panic attacks and really struggling mentally since my blood test confirmed I'm now type 2.

All I see is new risk factors and lowered lifespan and drop in quality of life. I'm only 25 years old currently and I'm terrified of what this means for the rest of my life.

What I think would really help me is to have this question answered: how long have you been living life with diabetes? Especially if you were diagnosed younger.

I need that hope right now that I can live a quality life yet with this disease by knowing that others have; being diagnosed and going in to live for many many more happy years.
Hi I got it last March 2021 at 37 with a ac1 of 54mm with in 3 months lost over 2 half stone and in June 2021 ac1 35mm now a year on my ac1 is 31mm I’m still low carb :)

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I was 8 when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. This month it will be 18 years since I have been living with diabetes and I think I have a full life, even though I have to take several injections a day, it doesn't affect anything

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Type1 1959-2013. Healthier than ever! I wish you good luck for future years.

Jane 001

Hi all,

I need that hope right now that I can live a quality life yet with this disease by knowing that others have; being diagnosed and going in to live for many many more happy years.[/

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Jane 001 Welcome to the Forum.
You can start a new post to introduce yourself in the top sub forum or just post in a comment box at the bottom of a thread.

Jane 001

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic a week ago. It was unexpected to say the least. My doctor asked for routine blood check as I'd suffered from a continuous headache for almost 6 weeks. I'm always very tired as I don't sleep well. I take sleeping tablebts every night which allow me to get 4 - 5 ours sleep, and I figured the headache was due to not getting enough sleep recently, as I have a lot of trouble just getting to sleep. I had no idea that perhaps my diabetis would cause me to feel so exhausted. Anyhow, since my diagnosis I've begun taking Metaformin and just completed my first week on one tablet a day, going onto two a day from tomorrow. I'm reasonably active, so I feel I get enough exercise, and have begun to change my bad eating habits and eating three healthy meals a day. I don't know if I can say I feel better at all yet, but I have my first eye examination scheduled for early June, and also have booked onto a course next month to help me understnd diabetis better. Here's hoping I can get to grips with everything, as I want to try to manage this sooner rather than later, since I lso have other health issues to cope wih. Here's to a healthier future for us all. x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Type 1 for 52 years. I've got mild on again off again background retinopathy, as yet no treatment needed, but otherwise no obvious complications, though I suspect that I've got a bit of extra wear and tear from the diabetes.

I think the long term health prospects for newly diagnosed diabetics (of all types) are very good, given the technology now available to monitor the condition. (I was diagnosed pre glucometers, and now my bgs were all over the place during my teens).

I intend/hope to have many more happy and healthy years.

I was 8 when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
We're diabetic twins, I was 8 too. :)

mroshannon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic a week ago. It was unexpected to say the least. My doctor asked for routine blood check as I'd suffered from a continuous headache for almost 6 weeks. I'm always very tired as I don't sleep well. I take sleeping tablebts every night which allow me to get 4 - 5 ours sleep, and I figured the headache was due to not getting enough sleep recently, as I have a lot of trouble just getting to sleep. I had no idea that perhaps my diabetis would cause me to feel so exhausted. Anyhow, since my diagnosis I've begun taking Metaformin and just completed my first week on one tablet a day, going onto two a day from tomorrow. I'm reasonably active, so I feel I get enough exercise, and have begun to change my bad eating habits and eating three healthy meals a day. I don't know if I can say I feel better at all yet, but I have my first eye examination scheduled for early June, and also have booked onto a course next month to help me understnd diabetis better. Here's hoping I can get to grips with everything, as I want to try to manage this sooner rather than later, since I lso have other health issues to cope wih. Here's to a healthier future for us all. x
It's nice to know other people are going through it too. Community can be so important.

We're going to figure it out!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well coming up to 4 years for me nearly .
Not a young un, tho.
DX in my 60's ..but still a shock, so I do sympathise.
(If anxiety gets too much, I'd recommend looking online at CBT therapies..I found them very useful helping me with mine, if you weren't aware already of it )

Still a newbie at this compared to many

The forum & LCHF gave me hope in those early days .

So many getting great results by simply taking more notice of what they ate & adjusting diet accordingly ....no way :wideyed:

The more I checked, the stronger the proof was.
And the stronger the proof, the deeper I went in trying LCHF

8/9 months got from 57 back to 40 HBA1c (normal )

And as others proved, it can be done
I thought it was worth a try .

The SAD diet offered by my doctor's failed me miserably
And here was a diet even I could easily follow that didn't leave me in a state of starvation.
(As I was for 6 weeks after DX :rolleyes::arghh: )

Little to lose by trying, I say :)

Last edited: