Of all changes in your "old" lifestyle you had to do, which one was the most difficult?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sat here trying to think of something but I honestly haven’t really changed much, or maybe I can’t remember after this much time so I guess the thing I miss is eating without thinking, maybe it’s harder for people that do a better job of being diabetic lol

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Booze and the fags! Booze because it reacts badly with Metformin, and I no longer needed falling down water since I now do that naturally due to my strokes and old age. The fags went after my strokes.

I miss my mum's cooking. She was Type 1 and you wouldnt know it we ate high carb high fat without needing Eatwell to guide us. Since DX I followed that pattern for some 20 more years, but eventually fell into this forum and discovered an alternative universe. I have no regrets, this forum saved me and I now follow a diet I can live with quite easily. I do have special days that my meter complains about, but I log it and move on. No point in moping. The most destructive words in the english language are "If Only".

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss toast, lovely and warm with melted butter mmmm. I've tried every type, to no avail, blood sugars soar. I'm fine now about it, just occasionally it would be nice..

Annio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheese
A family member was recently diagnosed type 2 and I'm trying to understand what it means for our lifestyle/every day life. This made me curious to ask which changes it brought onto others' lives, and which changes were the hardest.
Adapting old eating habits to healthier versions. I liked sweets and things like watsits. Diabetes was the best thing as it made me take stock. I eat carbs but find good substites for goodies I miss. There's a fabulous lo carb bread called low carb from Sainsbury's 5 grams per slice it's so filling. I found heavenly chocolate with its healthy 1% all natural bars which stopped sweet need. I cooked all veg in olive oil with paprika and Onion salt and herbs as I hated veg but enjoy cooked this way. I eat loads green beans and cherry tomatoes with chicken breasts in soy sauce to make a BBQ chicken. I have jacket potatoes , roast dinner and yes, I make gravy with 1 tablespoons flour as hate bistro. I adapted if I fancy crisps I get the lentil or chick pea ones, I eat few sugar free sweets. I honestly don't feel it's been too bad. I've lost 3 stone and my AC 1 has gone from 90 to 42 since October diagnosis. I know we're all different and sometimes the rigid rule comments to no carbs scared me. My next AC 1 is due soon if what I'm doing has changed and it's higher then I'll adapt again. I have arthritis too so couldn't do long walks etc. It's healthy eating and I love my strawberries, grapes apples and oranges which I've been told to limit or not eat but life is too harsh without some foods you like. I even have pub lunches out and yes, I eat some chips etc. It's all moderation IMO. Others will disagree but we all need to find our own path.

RoughcutAU

I miss spontaneity the most. Always having to be switched on and everything planned/counted can be a real kill joy. I am “lucky” being Type 1 that last years diagnosis actually pushed me into eating better without having to eliminate the foods I like - I just have to dose appropriately.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I miss exercise without planning, I miss snacking, I miss going out for a meal without my wee set of scales & scouring menus for the low risk options for hyper or hypo, I miss not having to ask waiters if they can tell me an average weight portion of carbs & being looked at like, what? I miss having a few glasses of wine & not having to rethink the effect on me by early morning the following day, I miss an impromptu walk in warm weather, I miss sun bathing without risk of plummeting BG, I miss a cold glass of cider or a cold shandy in hot weather, I miss going to sleep without knowing I could disturb my hubby through the night if libre alarm goes off, I miss not having an insulin pump attached to me 24/7 & sleeping on my tummy (best place for me to hide pump)
Think I might be grieving lol!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 food misses are not a problem. If I really wanted something, I could have it. But I have a much better, healthier diet these days and maintain a good weight much more easily. So foods I used to eat I’m not bothered about. Taste buds change.
For me it is the fact that you cannot just leave the house without a kit of some sort. Without checking before driving. Going for a meal with friends and having to remember to keep an eye on levels and inject whilst deep in conversation. And we won’t even mention the stuff required when going on holiday. Yikes!

JacquesFR

I guess to help we'd need to know some more details of whoever has been diagnosed.

Many of us changed what we ate and put our T2 condition into remission.

If they want to do that then we can of course assist but it's far better to get the person themselves to join the forum rather than give advice through a third party if at all possible.

I'm working on it. :)

D

Deleted member 543160

For me it is the fact that you cannot just leave the house without a kit of some sort. Without checking before driving. Going for a meal with friends and having to remember to keep an eye on levels and inject whilst deep in conversation. And we won’t even mention the stuff required when going on holiday. Yikes!
If I ever get a bit miffed by the minor issues I may have as a T2, I try to remind myself about the far more serious ones all our T1 members have to deal every day to keep themselves alive. It definitely puts things in perspective - you all have my greatest respect.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I ever get a bit miffed by the minor issues I may have as a T2, I try to remind myself about the far more serious ones all our T1 members have to deal every day to keep themselves alive. It definitely puts things in perspective - you all have my greatest respect.
They're not minor issues!
They're just different issues, and don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't be miffed, or angry, or sad, or frustrated because someone else has it worse! ;)

Sheepish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Needles!
Eating, especially going to restaurants.
A family member was recently diagnosed type 2 and I'm trying to understand what it means for our lifestyle/every day life. This made me curious to ask which changes it brought onto others' lives, and which changes were the hardest.

Sheepish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Needles!
Eating, especially going to restaurants.
I have a list that stretches to four A4 sheets of all the foods I miss. Bread is the absolute worst. There is really no substitute for it; keto ‘bread’ really doesn’t do it for me. I agree that the most annoying comment is, ‘Surely you can have a bit of. . .’ closely followed by, ‘Are you allowed to eat…?’ while they scoff baguettes and sticky toffee pudding in front of me. Also keto recipe websites that claim ‘ It tastes just like…’ I want to scream at them all! I just get through one day (and sometimes one meal) at a time.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a carb addict anymore and therefore I don't miss the bread etc. because I have never totally ruled them out for fear of not being able to stop. I make sure I eat so much of the good stuff that these things re no longer as alluring. I kind of miss the 'high' from eating the junk I suppose but not the guilt, fatness and high blood sugars that followed.

Reactions: jjraak

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Baked beans!

Many years of chip butties, need a mention!

I believe the biggest change has to be the knowledge of why and how my body works, the way it does and the realisation that so called healthy food, is definitely not healthy for me!

Thehe change in lifestyle, came naturally if I was going to get my health back!
Yeah I miss a chip buttie too, especially with loads of brown chippie sauce on it and yeah I would love to have a large fish supper again too but that won't happen and then there's the pizza, pasta, bread, potatoes, sweets, cadburys and galaxy chocolate too, eh I will just leave it there - but I often think it would be great to eat anything for just one day wouldn't it? or a week would be even better ... but I am a lot healthier these days but if I am really honest yes I do miss a lot of the food I previously ate pre D

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to agree 100% with outliers point

The attitude of my surgery to food and the indifference to the lowering of my HBA1c.

I got a well done text, but I'm sure it's not common to drop numbers like I did among the other T2D, yet no one's interested

Still with the "Eat more carbs" rubbish :rolleyes:
And the underlying feeling I'm just 'wrong' in their eyes :banghead:.

So yeah.
Bread & discovering results don't mean much to those who should be more curious

Brings to mind
"For those who believe, no proof required.
For those who don't, no proof would ever be enough "

That and the bored glassy eyes of family, when I start to mention how 'healthy food' ..really isn't :hilarious::hilarious:
I stopped bothering after a few months

But on a plus note long term asthmatic.
Preventer & inhalers used daily.

Missus noted I didn't cough as much, one day
Mmh..she was right.

It's hasn't gone away, but it's definitely down around 90% of where it had been for 20 odd years....WIN.

I could pretty much echo everything here. It took me a while to realise my asthma was basically gone- it seems strange when it was severe at times but yes my husband noticed first :)

I miss carbs. I manage best with very low carbs as that makes the cravings go away but I do miss them.

And yes the same experience with my doctor.

Reactions: Antje77

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could pretty much echo everything here. It took me a while to realise my asthma was basically gone- it seems strange when it was severe at times but yes my husband noticed first :)

I miss carbs. I manage best with very low carbs as that makes the cravings go away but I do miss them.

And yes the same experience with my doctor.
Congratulations on the asthma.:happy:

While those not having it, might not realise just what a burden it can be from films, etc

Seems innocuous, really
Get an attack, spray, move on.:rolleyes:

And offering friends a way to enjoy the asthma experience,. Rarely gets taken up . :bag:;):hilarious:

"Want to know what it feels like ? pop a plastic bag on your head, make one small hole, and wear it for a day "
(NB.do NOT try this at home )

Good to not have THAT worry, and great you too now just get to live your best lives without it.

And TG my asthma DX wasn't like my T2D one.

"Good news.
you don't have any heart issues, ...

Can you sent next patient in please as you leave

Oh btw, you do have asthma, a disease that may kill you at any point, so be careful out there ...

Make an appointment at reception for a few weeks time, and we'll discuss how best to treat it ...

Bye." :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: