Type 1'stars R Us

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
When I was picking up the lenses, they told me to check the fundus, because there was a suspicion of a complication from diabetes, but today I went to the ophthalmologist and she said that my eyes are healthy!:) Hooray!
Now I just have huge pupils from drops that were instilled into my eyes. I look like some kind of comic book hero

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, may the day treat you well.
I’m packing today for a trip to younger daughter and family. It’s such a long time since I did this that I feel like a novice again. I used to have it down to a fine art, went there a lot pre pandemic. I’ll be travelling by train, with FFP2/3: what can possible go wrong?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Isn't that the truth @Fairygodmother When we used to travel from Calif to Vegas 2-3 times a year, I would just refill what needed to be, pack the same amount/type of clothes, and it was all a routine. And then we stopped going anywhere for a couple of years . it was virtually all the same stuff, but I had to keep going over, did I forget anything, did I have enough. Just those couple of years and enough stuff changed, I wasn't used to it anymore and it was nuts! And now it's been 4 years so.................

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Oh boy, woke up at 3am in sweat. To start with I didn't know if it's because the bedroom was 28°C (I'm in Manila) or because of a hypo.
Realising some strange sensatiions in my head, I decided to get out of bed and test and was down to 2.9.
Trying to rationalise, I'd guessed my last bolus dose for a slice of shop bought cake that seems to have much lower carb value than it's appearance suggests.
Another 2-1/2 weeks of totally winging it to go. What fun.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning Karen, good morning everyone.
If only all cakes wore their true carb colours @urbanracer life would be soooo much better. Hope you’ve access to plenty of familiar carbs, even if you’re on two and a half weeks of an evening rice diet for safety; though maybe rice varies from place to place? Apart from that, enjoy Manila!
Yesterday’s train journey was ‘interesting’. Trains were pretty crowded and I was the only one wearing a mask. Thank goodness I’m old enough not to care what people think.
Two good conversations with people I sat next to, how I’ve missed these chance encounters with others! And watching the landscape go by is much better than watching the road and the traffic. Beautiful wetlands, geese and swans, great trees, fields, cows, sheep. So green. And then a few bits of miserable urban wasteland, vast industrial distribution hangers, ugly.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all. It's been a while since I've been here, garden work, short trip to Guernsey and a new found interest in Sichuan cooking.
A week or so ago I had a phone appointment with a diabetes consultant at the hospital. All good, I was worried about the number of times I went high while he was keen for me to reduce hypos. HbA1c 48
He's written to my doctor asking him to put Freestyle Libre on repeat prescription which is great as I've been self funding.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Drank 2 cups of raspberry infusion and blood went manic. Odd

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@SueJB That is odd, was it maybe sweetened with a sugar alcohol like xylitol or erythritol? Some companies will say zero sugar when they use them.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ladies and Gentlemen I present the Filippino delicacy, Halo Halo, a strange concoction of Ube flavoured ice cream, gelatine, evaporated milk, fruit and crushed ice.

upload_2022-5-20_17-29-53.png

No idea how much sugar there is in this bad boy so I only had 1 mouthful and left the rest for Mrs Urb' to finish off.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ladies and Gentlemen I present the Filippino delicacy, Halo Halo, a strange concoction of Ube flavoured ice cream, gelatine, evaporated milk, fruit and crushed ice.

View attachment 54602
No idea how much sugar there is in this bad boy so I only had 1 mouthful and left the rest for Mrs Urb' to finish off.
Do we need to bolus for looking at this great stuff ?

Reactions: RoughcutAU

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Whoa!!! @urbanracer That would have been really really hard to dose for. Spouses are a great way "Can I just have a bite", it gives you a taste without the guessing!!!!!!!!!

Hope you are having fun!!!!!!!

We are here for a wedding of a niece. The laydeeeees are having fun with their beauty treatments and preparations but I find myself doing a lot of waiting! (And waiting, and even more waiting). Still, only 2-1/2 hours until the wedding starts and then after today we have some time to be tourists.